What Did You Do to Your Bike Today ?

canthai55

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bleeding the front brakes from dry, bleeding awkward on ya own. ????????

Couldn't find dot 5 where I live only dot 3, will bleed again if I find some

dot 4 which it's supposed to be.

Not that bothered though in a High humidity Thailand surely dot 5 be available everywhere here.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Bleeding the front brakes from dry, bleeding awkward on ya own. ????????

Couldn't find dot 5 where I live only dot 3, will bleed again if I find some

dot 4 which it's supposed to be.

Not that bothered though in a High humidity Thailand surely dot 5 be available everywhere here.

You are getting your Dots mixed up.

Dot 3 & 4 are compatible, sold pretty much everywhere and fitted to 98% of vehicles.

Dot 5 is used in Harleys only on motorcycles, and some French cars i believe.

Hence it is, indeed, difficult to find (HD shops sell it).

You DO NOT want to mix 5 & 4 in the same system.

I am 99.9% sure Honda would have specified Dot 4 for your bike, which is available in every auto factors or m/c shop. I use Shell Dot 4, 500ml, 110 Baht.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Since DOT 4 and 5.1 are both glycol-based brake fluids they are compatible with each other, which means they can be readily mixed without harming your brake system. It is important never to mistake DOT 5.1 (glycol-based) with DOT 5 which is silicone-based and should never be mixed with any other DOT fluid.

https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/resources/faq/difference-between-dot4-and-dot51-brake-fluid/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

You are getting your Dots mixed up.

Dot 3 & 4 are compatible, sold pretty much everywhere and fitted to 98% of vehicles.

Dot 5 is used in Harleys only on motorcycles, and some French cars i believe.

Hence it is, indeed, difficult to find (HD shops sell it).

You DO NOT want to mix 5 & 4 in the same system.

I am 99.9% sure Honda would have specified Dot 4 for your bike, which is available in every auto factors or m/c shop. I use Shell Dot 4, 500ml, 110 Baht.

Yeah up north here still trying to rid of stocks dot 3 ???? at Shell at 130, found one Motul dot 4 @ 200 probably the name for price.

My thoughts were interest along the lines of humidity in Thailand and dot 5 doesn't absorb water the same as as other dots available, my remark was probably OTT thats all.

46 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

???? Yeah OK knew that but dot 5 is silicon and does not absorb water in humid climates that was my interest.

Whole new world of pain though dude.

Different seals, o rings, everything dude.

Stick to Dot 3/4 and change it every coupla years.

In fact both my road bikes - cannot remember the last time i changed it - 3-4 years ago?

Toyota Vigo - 12 y/o - never changed it.

No biggie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any vehicle with ABS needs brake fluid cycled on a regular basis - make brake application hard enuf that the ABS kicks in. This replaces the small amount of fluid in the modulator, servos, etc. with clean fresh fluid. If left, and it contains moisture, corrosion can result.

And change every 2 years.

If no air has entered the system upstream of the modulator, bleeding can be performed in the same way as conventional brakes.

If components have been replaced, specialized equipment may be required to cycle the module to remove air.

9 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

There's a new coil in town

lalala la la la

there's a new coil in town

(sung to that Eagles song...)

'Ol Blu gets a new HT coil and lead.

250 TB from my local mom'n'pop corner m/c shop.

Same generic coil in the UK from a variety of vendors is 19.95 GBP + 20% VAT + P&P....

Gotta love this country....

029.thumb.jpg.c8be2a9a52b411cc1ddab7a58c0cef65.jpg030.thumb.jpg.c1f2bb1b2b8a4e7af313cb0565e3b402.jpg031.thumb.jpg.e58002ff11bac1b76cd3466392ec15a8.jpg

'Ol Yeller gets new sealed front wheel bearings, from my local auto factors shop. 558.12 kB · 0 downloads

80 Baht each for brand name NSK... 558.12 kB · 0 downloads

Gotta love this country... 558.12 kB · 0 downloads

yel2.thumb.jpg.3097eebf7e2b840acdcb715d48eb78da.jpgyel3.thumb.jpg.62c6d77ac673e843f855563f4b732ad6.jpgyel.thumb.jpg.65872cd44fcba28f18c13c6e726695c2.jpg

So good to see someone enjoying their bikes.

I've got my dream bike again from the past too now but can't get a St.Georges flag where I live only Union Jack <deleted> ones. ????

Edited ????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

"What Did You Do to Your Bike Today ?"

Not being in Loei in years, I did what I usually do late at night.  I ride around the town on my bike in my mind.  Very low maintenance. 

My bro-in-law had a mocy  shop in Loei years back, then went to Khon Kaen.  I got him & family to the USA and now he's my car mechanic. Can't beat free. 

Not my engine, but he makes a few bucks fixing other people's cars.  He's amazingly good at diagnosing simple problems.  He's not afraid of a parking lot rebuild.  His day job is a chef at a Thai restaurant. 

Funny thing... every time he comes to my house to fix my car or mow the lawn or move furniture, he will always Wai me respectfully.  Good "kid".  I've known him for 40+ years.

image.jpeg.0b7b67caf3ff222233bf6bfd557fb2da.jpeg

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 2