I'm getting quizzed a lot!

My Thai wife would like to visit England or USA

I was born in England and also have a USA passport.

My wife is getting a little frustrated, as am I, that getting a tourist visa is not only not easy but many times rejected. Also the possibility of citizenship from UK or USA is about zero.. Because I do not want to live for several years in these countries to be either my wife to satisfy the citizenship laws. Just frustrating all around and my wife finds my answers a little hard to believe.

For example she just mentioned the Thai girl.. 24 years old.. Who is on the reality TV show and is heading to the USA to meet her 48 American bf family! My wife has an excellent point! How the heck is that possible for this 24 year old Thai girl?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

Because I do not want to live for several years in these countries

If you (your wife) do not wish to spend at least a few years in the country--you can hardly expect then to hand her citizenship 1HKamper.

from what I have seen through friends of the USA system, it seems quite relaxed...stay a certain time, get the green card then they will give her a 10 year visa

• Like 1

Maybe the girl who succeeded in getting the visa provided enough evidence of her intention to return to Thailand. This is of major importance when applying for a visa to the countries mentioned. Evidence would be paperwork demonstrating financial status , ie property or savings etc. A good job with a large company would also help.

• Like 2

Assuming that the OP spends most of his time in Thailand, despite claiming dual nationality, if he embraces the 'no fixed abode' form of domicile, ie. no significant time spent in either of his homelands, then there's no way his Thai wife will be guaranteed an easy pass on getting a visit visa for either nation let alone some vague notion of instant but fleeting residency.

If the OP simply tells his wife that it is HIS fault that her passage through the free world is more challenging than his, then her frustration will have much better focus.

Sometimes the life of the international gypsy aint all it's cracked up to be and certainly not as easy as it used to be.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

My wife is getting a little frustrated, as am I, that getting a tourist visa is not only not easy but many times rejected

How many times has your wife applied to each country?

If you tell us why her last application to each was rejected then people here may very well be able to advise on overcoming the reasons for the refusals.

However, as Mac says

3 hours ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Where do you live?  Thailand?  Perhaps on a retirement extension?  Longish time?  If so, might well be OK for a U.S. tourist visa for your wife

The same for the UK.

If you are legally resident in Thailand with your wife then, provided you have sufficient funds for the visit, obtaining a UK visit visa for your wife should be a straightforward formality.

Even if you live in the UK and she in Thailand it is not impossible.

8 minutes ago, steve187 said:
6 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

Also the possibility of citizenship from UK or USA is about zero

same as you getting Thai citizenship

Actually, obtaining British citizenship as the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen is very easy; provided one actually lives in the UK! See Become a British citizen: 2. If your spouse is a British citizen.

As far as I am aware, there is only one way to become a British citizen without ever living in the UK; by birth. That is having at least one parent who is British otherwise than by descent.

7 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

For example she just mentioned the Thai girl.. 24 years old.. Who is on the reality TV show and is heading to the USA to meet her 48 American bf family! My wife has an excellent point! How the heck is that possible for this 24 year old Thai girl?

She or her boyfriend or visa agent gathered the information required, put a decent application together for the visa and submitted it and the visa was granted. It's not that difficult. For a visit visa you need to show that you have the funds to finance the trip, a place to stay in the UK, proof of relationship and that your wife will return to Thailand. If you are both currently living in Thailand it shoudn't be that hard to do.

A visa agent is not needed and if you let us have some specifics about the visa refusals it will give the people on here some idea of why the visas were refused. How many refusals has she had? If you can scan or take a decent photo of each of the refusals, remove the personal info, and post them here we can help.

There is no point is just posting the last one as you have to address the reasons for refusal in each subsequent application.

7 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

Don't read too much into reality TV.  British citizenship is a breeze if you can afford it, if not a little long-winded.  

Very confusing post by the way.

49 minutes ago, rasg said:

She or her boyfriend or visa agent gathered the information required, put a decent application together for the visa and submitted it and the visa was granted. It's not that difficult. For a visit visa you need to show that you have the funds to finance the trip, a place to stay in the UK, proof of relationship and that your wife will return to Thailand. If you are both currently living in Thailand it shoudn't be that hard to do.

A visa agent is not needed and if you let us have some specifics about the visa refusals it will give the people on here some idea of why the visas were refused. How many refusals has she had? If you can scan or take a decent photo of each of the refusals, remove the personal info, and post them here we can help.

There is no point is just posting the last one as you have to address the reasons for refusal in each subsequent application.

But there again, a visa agent might be aware that, under some circumstances, it is possible to appeal against a visit visa refusal.........................................

15 hours ago, rasg said:

Maybe what you mean is that a good visa agent will know that it's possible to appeal on Human Rights grounds.

I wonder what percentage of visit visas are actually appealed on human rights grounds?

I'm not having a "go" at you, but I think you're missing the point.  Generally, your posts are spot on, and helpful, but I think it's wrong to inform posters that they don't need a visa agent, and that they can find all that they need here in the forum. That is plainly not true, and you have given wrong information twice recently. When you inform someone about a financial threshold, and that information is wrong, then you risk that person's visa application being refused because they took your advice. Will you be accountable for giving them incorrect information ? Will you repay their financial losses ?  When you tell a poster that there is no right of appeal in visit visa refusals, then you risk them losing a chance to appeal, a right which they have in certain circumstances. You are, in effect, depriving them of that right.  Where, again, is the accountability ?

It's partly for the above reasons that it's a criminal offence to give immigration advice in the UK, unless you are qualified to do so. It's also a reason why people using this forum should actually be advised that, if they do want correct information, then they should use an OISC registered visa agent. We all give information and advice here, and sometimes we are wrong. We should, therefore, maybe "temper" our advice with something along the lines of "as far as I am aware, but you may wish to check, ........"  Unless we are 100% sure of the advice we are giving. I'm as guilty as the next man here, but I do have some knowledge and experience beyond just learning about immigration problems from forums, a single previous visa application, etc. You might have too, for all I know. So, it might be good advice for any poster to ask his "advisor" if, for instance, it's possible to appeal against a visit visa refusal, before taking any other advice they give as gospel.

Nothing personal here, rasg.  If we give advice, then we should be accountable, and a "good" agent will be.

If you are a full time Thai 'resident' then I am surprised your wife is struggling to get a visa approved.

The requirements are straight forward but reliably achieving this on paper can be more challenging.

Reason for visa - visit.

Affordability - bank statements, yours and hers if applicable.

Reasons to return - you both live in Thailand! Show your eligibility to live there, evidence of housing (ownership documents/rental agreement etc) together with a full description of your circumstances. Permission for absence from work if applicable.

If you are having issues then of course use a good agent. If you don't want to then post a refusal letter (removing identification) and let us get our teeth into that!

Getting fed up is rarely useful but it is frustrating however a husband and wife living in Thailand should have a fairly easy trip through the visa system. 

Edited by bobrussell

On 11/26/2017 at 11:21 PM, rasg said:

Maybe what you mean is that a good visa agent will know that it's possible to appeal on Human Rights grounds.

I wonder what percentage of visit visas are actually appealed on human rights grounds?

Human rights? You are joking right? The OP lives here with his gf, a visa refusal does not split them up, in fact, it keeps them together!

• Like 1

The OP is living here with his legal wife from my reading - and that because of US laws there is a provision that allows those in USA to remain if they seek residence while there.  So because of this loophole those who are wives but only wanting to visit for vacation are interviewed with this extra negative perception as to there overstay possibility (even though it is not overstay if legal).  So very important to prove the improvable, that will return.  Doing that involves having detailed plans/knowledge as any visitor but also husbands status can be a key factor - if he has history/reasons for not planning to stay is USA it will help.

I suspect many see reports of issues and never attempt to obtain (I was in that boat) - give it a try would be my advise - cost is not that great and suspect the rejection rate is really not that high overall.