Centipede bite

superal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/26/2017 at 12:21 PM, jak2002003 said:

They are very very very painful!!!

They will not kill you or make you sick... just make the place they bit you hurt like hell.

It is recommended that you get some antibiotic from the doctor if these things bite you, because the bite often becomes infected.  But I never got any antibiotics and where it bit me healed fine.

So far living here I have a good list of things that have bitten / stung me.  

Big black scorpion X 2

Small brown scorpion X 3

Centipede X 1

Black / Red hornets X many!!

Small wasps X many.

Various ants.. including big black ones that hurt like hell... X many

Jelly fish X 1

Dog X 2

Spider X 1

Also been bitten my snakes.... X many... but they were not Thai ones... just my pets back in the UK!

Think that is about all I can remember. 

Still alive...

You will be happy to know that Thailand has no insects / land  invertebrates that are deadly to humans if they bite you.  But they will hurt you!  Only exception is if you get stung by a swarm of hornets, or if you have some allergy to the venom... which is very rare.

And, as I said earlier, it's recommended to get antibiotics for the centipede bite.

Is it time to move indoors now? 

They will not kill you or make you sick... just make the place they bit you hurt like hell.

It is recommended that you get some antibiotic from the doctor if these things bite you, because the bite often becomes infected.  But I never got any antibiotics and where it bit me healed fine.

Big black scorpion X 2

Small brown scorpion X 3

Centipede X 1

Small wasps X many.

Jelly fish X 1

Dog X 2

Spider X 1

Also been bitten my snakes.... X many... but they were not Thai ones... just my pets back in the UK!

Still alive...

You will be happy to know that Thailand has no insects / land  invertebrates that are deadly to humans if they bite you.  But they will hurt you!  Only exception is if you get stung by a swarm of hornets, or if you have some allergy to the venom... which is very rare.

And, as I said earlier, it's recommended to get antibiotics for the centipede bite.

you seem to have some bad karma

Wow...that's some list. Am here 17 years and only bitten by "red ants"... They like hanging out on my front gate...and I live in the sticks.
   Many different species have crossed my path from snakes in my kitchen down to things my old eyes can bearly see and all without incident (except above).
 Thing is....whenever I do come accross them I see them through eyes of amazement and wonder at the beauty of nature and for me...proof of the existance of God.
  Unlike many on here (absolutely no reference to yourself, just a general observation) who like to boast how they slautered their latest victim, usually a snake.

And which particular version of god/gods would you be referring to?

The one that created all these beasties that can cause harm and the one that created parasites that can burrow into children’s eyes?

It’s the natural world dude. These creatures have evolved to suit their surroundings, and they need to protect to themselves against predators. They weren’t created by some sky fairy who thought “I’ll snap my fingers and make some cool bugs and beasties today cos I’m bored”!

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Wow...that's some list. Am here 17 years and only bitten by "red ants"... They like hanging out on my front gate...and I live in the sticks.

Many different species have crossed my path from snakes in my kitchen down to things my old eyes can bearly see and all without incident (except above).

Thing is....whenever I do come accross them I see them through eyes of amazement and wonder at the beauty of nature and for me...proof of the existance of God.

Unlike many on here (absolutely no reference to yourself, just a general observation) who like to boast how they slautered their latest victim, usually a snake.

Please don't miss the Elephant in the room.

4 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

No, it is not supposed to make a difference - only an attempt to ease some of the pain with a smile..

My post was also made to raise a smile, but it is actually the truth.

4 minutes ago, wayned said:

My post was also made to raise a smile, but it is actually the truth.

Hey, I had a friend visit and stay in a local garden style hotel. In the morning, he was smart enough to shake out his sneaker in case anything got in there. And when he shook it out, there was a centipede which fell out and landed on his foot and promptly bit him. He was in the local emergency room in minutes. Painful stuff. 

My garden has many of those centipedes, not far from last week my wife was bitten, but not too harsh, she told me this variety was not the most painful, but another one more.

not only one variety of centipede of course.

But what I can say is if I rake the dead leaves in the garden, I always put leather gloves and rubber boots, never ever in flip-flop only because of those many centipedes.

Never manipulate a pile of dead leaves with bare hands is the best advice concerning those little critters, at least in my area.

On 26/11/2017 at 6:09 PM, observer90210 said:

I made an edit as it was not HomePro, sorry my mistake, but from a pharmacy

I thought the brain had started frying when I thought I saw pharmacy and then read HomePro, thanks for getting me back on the straight and narrow, alas, I still have my sanity, for now 555

Image result for photo of an old man thinking

On 26/11/2017 at 12:21 PM, jak2002003 said:

Big black scorpion X 2

Small brown scorpion X 3

Centipede X 1

Small wasps X many.

Jelly fish X 1

Dog X 2

Spider X 1

Still alive...

Inside my shirt a few weeks ago, I put on the first sleeve of my shirt when I felt something, I became a little paranoid concerning every little critter that can bite, the shirt flew the scorpion with it. I was not stung.

P1000384.jpg

45 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Inside my shirt a few weeks ago, I put on the first sleeve of my shirt when I felt something, I became a little paranoid concerning every little critter that can bite, the shirt flew the scorpion with it. I was not stung.

P1000384.jpg

pick it up by the tail, remove the stinger with tweezers and throw it in the wok with a little oil and spices!

On 26/11/2017 at 11:51 AM, jak2002003 said:

Big black scorpion X 2

Small brown scorpion X 3

Centipede X 1

Small wasps X many.

Jelly fish X 1

Dog X 2

Spider X 1

Still alive...

With your luck never, ever go to Australia.  I think your life expectancy will be measured in days not years. 

The opposite, actually.  Millipedes are no problem.  I actually find them interesting.  They're the brown ones with the legs that go down, not out to the sides, and they're slow.  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/Millipede_on_floor.jpg/800px-Millipede_on_floor.jpg

It's the centipedes that are the nasty ones.  Staying away from the ugly creepy ones is pretty much my rule!

Yes, I had the names reversed.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, jaiyen said:

This is the result of my centipede bite.  It happened in a hotel in Bangkok during the night. Very painful and took 2 weeks to get better.  Cure was just a jab and anti biotics

Thailand Old Photos 106.jpg

You have my sympathy.........that looks painful as hell!!!

My girlfriend got bitten on the bum by a centipede a couple of years ago. It was in the bed. She said it was extremely painful and even now she still has a mark on her backside from the bite / sting. 

There was a guy on thai visa that said he was bitten on the neck/shoulder area by one, whilst in bed. He said it caused him shoulder pain/problems for 6 months.

Big black scorpion X 2

Small brown scorpion X 3

Centipede X 1

Small wasps X many.

Jelly fish X 1

Dog X 2

Spider X 1

Still alive...

555+

Sorry but it's funny :-)

Get some antivenom from red cross !!!

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/793192-snake-antivenom-dog-bitten-by-snake-what-can-the-vet-do-if-we-do-not-know-which-snake/

Has anyone ever lost a limb or digit from a centipede bite?  Thinking in terms of, the poison and/or swelling are just too much, if that's possible.  (Just makes me wonder, if a whole hand or foot can swell up like some of the pictures we've had here and elsewhere, how something small like a finger or toe might fare, or if said area might swell enough to cut off blood supply or split the skin or something.)

Just remembered , I was stripped off naked in the bedroom and entered our en-suite wet room where there was an ugly big many legs with colours of green brown and red on the floor and at least 8 inches long . I backed out of the bathroom and went outside and found a piece of wood a meter long , ran back to the bathroom but slipped up on the tiled floor with a big splat and hurt my ass . The centipede never moved despite the commotion , so I gave him the wood and the 2 halves ran to the water outlet and gone . Well that must have been the entry point as well because there is no  " U bend " on the outlet pipework. There is now a grill cap and plastic bottle of bathroom cleaner on top of the outlet  . 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 1:16 PM, wpcoe said:

This just ended up in my inbox:  

Granted, the ones in Thailand are probably not "desert" centipedes, but still, I think I'll continue to give them wide berth.

I have heard that the Thai centipede also can give a very painful bite . That video should have an x cert and bet he wishes he did not do such a stupid thing . Did you catch the follow up video as I did not see a link  ?

1 hour ago, superal said:

I have heard that the Thai centipede also can give a very painful bite . That video should have an x cert and bet he wishes he did not do such a stupid thing . Did you catch the follow up video as I did not see a link  ?

I don't think the follow-up video has been posted yet.  The date on that video was two days ago.  He's pretty prolific with his YouTube videos, so suspect there will be a follow-up, just not yet.