COCKPIT

wgdanson

Just now, transam said:

Bendix is a well known brand, but factory stuff I reckon is the best if you want the extra cost..

Thanks for that. For the Bht 1000 extra and an hour extra waiting, I shall go to Toyota. Cheers.

I have always used Sukhothai Cockpit they carry several brands as they do oils & suspension etc etc..

Took 2 new Toyota motors to them even when under warranty.

Dunno about P/lock Cockpit they are franchises. 

Edited by Kwasaki

Used to use Cockpit but their pricing quotes were 2x what I'd priced elsewhere....Lengthy wait times.....

I think front brakes book out at about 1.5 hours so a two hour wait is more than reasonable....About 2.2 hr. if they deglaze the rotors....

Toyota OE is always quality.....

Go to Toyota you will get genuine parts.

My last service 10th booked at 9am. Took them 1 hour 15min: 8lt of full Syn oil, filter. New aircon: filter, grease the prop. And a full free valet.

Total 2.350bt inc: was also offered free coffee/tea and hot food. Your not going to get better than that anywhere.

Oh and fully trained Toyo staff.

5 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Used to use Cockpit but their pricing quotes were 2x what I'd priced elsewhere....Lengthy wait times.....

I think front brakes book out at about 1.5 hours so a two hour wait is more than reasonable....About 2.2 hr. if they deglaze the rotors....

Toyota OE is always quality.....

Is deglazing the same as skimming a few thou of the disk (rotor)

Just for knowledge I had my front pads renewed (at Toyota) & disks skimmed (I'm shore they send them away ) & when mentioned the price to father in Auss it was the same (basic Toyota Vigo )

12 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Just for knowledge I had my front pads renewed (at Toyota) & disks skimmed (I'm shore they send them away ) & when mentioned the price to father in Auss it was the same (basic Toyota Vigo )

Depends on the vehicle - some have basically throw away rotors they are so thin.....

Others are thin & they don't want to lathe/true the rotors as it could cause a shimmy later so they'll break the glaze with a disc - slap the pads & go.....

Other vehicles have substantial rotors that can be machine trued many times over the life of the vehicle....

Brakes are a friction device & build up a polished surface over time & heat....When pads are replaced they have to break that polished/glazed surface for the pads to set/grip the rotors surface....

13 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Toyota, B-quik and Cockpit have an amazing piece of kit, a machine that bolts to the rides wheel nuts to spin the hubs/discs whilst a static tool tip shaves off a few thou from both sides of the disc to make them like new..Papering does sod all...

19 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Toyota OE is always quality...

" Toyota OE is always quality " disagree some of it and very much a matter of opinion.

I upgraded suspension on my Vigo 4x4 with Cockpit a great improvement in the handling.

As l said Cockpit are franchises as are Toyota dealers so it's horses for courses the Toyota Sukhothai franchise l would not recommend to anyone.

Edited by Kwasaki

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

" Toyota OE is always quality " disagree some of it and very much a matter of opinion.

I upgraded suspension on my Vigo 4x4 with Cockpit a great improvement in the handling.

As l said Cockpit are franchises as are Toyota dealers so it's horses for courses the Toyota Sukhothai franchise l would not recommend to anyone.

That's why I said earlier to make sure of "brand" they use, look at the pack details. I did that at B-quik to be sure pads and shoes were in Bendix cartons...:stoner:

1 minute ago, transam said:

That's why I said earlier to make sure of "brand" they use, look at the pack details. I did that at B-quik to be sure pads and shoes were in Bendix cartons...:stoner:

The funny thing for me is I have never had a vehicle that has done the kilos or miles  on any vehicle to have brake pads or brake shoes renewed except my one time Consul Mk2. :biggrin: 

Just now, Kwasaki said:

The funny thing for me is I have never had a vehicle that has done the kilos or miles  on any vehicle to have brake pads or brake shoes renewed except my one time Consul Mk2. :biggrin: 

My Volvo 760 ate pads and discs and drank copious amounts of petrol..sad-face.gif.5dfa506904e1dd51d19723a68d9966d1.gif

6 minutes ago, transam said:

My Volvo 760 ate pads and discs and drank copious amounts of petrol..sad-face.gif.5dfa506904e1dd51d19723a68d9966d1.gif

l guess the private cars l had never did great mileage and company cars we never kept long enough.

Volvos 244, 740 estate, T5 estate & S70 were all great motors the T5 was probably the best car l've ever had IMO.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Back in the day it was a industry joke that they built their bodies strong because they under engineered the brakes....They did eat brakes quickly....

My last Spivo still had like new pads when I sold it at 90thkm but the rear drums were buggered at 60km almost running on metal.

I change them to Run Stop disc's all round vast improvement.

What the new Spivo will be like don't know as only done 10km.

21 hours ago, JoeW said:

Toyota uses 2 brands of brake suppliers (depends on your model). Either Hitachi Automotive or Akebono. Both are great, but not better than Bendix or TRW.

So do I believe you or transam, who says Toyota are better than Bendix.

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Weeeeell. I have never had noise or squeal from OEM stuff, but I have had from Bendix here and back home, nothing to piss me off as it eventually sorts itself out.... :smile:

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

OEM suppliers are pushed by car makers to make parts as cheap as possible and keep an OK quality. An aftermarket supplier does not have that kind of restriction hence they can provide you with a wide array of options. For example Bendix has a few options to chose from. Akebono is both an OEM supplier and has aftermarket solutions, but not in Thailand. 

The first thing I did when getting my new car was upgrade the disc brakes and opt for a better kind of pad. 

36 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

My last Spivo still had like new pads when I sold it at 90thkm but the rear drums were buggered at 60km almost running on metal.

I change them to Run Stop disc's all round vast improvement.

What the new Spivo will be like don't know as only done 10km.

How did the runstops compare to the brakes on the new fortuner?

4 minutes ago, JoeW said:

OEM suppliers are pushed by car makers to make parts as cheap as possible and keep an OK quality. An aftermarket supplier does not have that kind of restriction hence they can provide you with a wide array of options. For example Bendix has a few options to chose from. Akebono is both an OEM supplier and has aftermarket solutions, but not in Thailand. 

The first thing I did when getting my new car was upgrade the disc brakes and opt for a better kind of pad. 

I did try bendix metal king on my civic once. Better initial bite but they were a little noisy. Things like oem pads are just OK. They need to be quiet and perform adequately....but have to go to the aftermarket for better performing pads and rotors. 

3 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I did try bendix metal king on my civic once. Better initial bite but they were a little noisy. Things like oem pads are just OK. They need to be quiet and perform adequately....but have to go to the aftermarket for better performing pads and rotors. 

Exactly and normally the better the pads bite the more noise they will make ;-)

32 minutes ago, DavisH said:

And quicker the rotors will disappear! Hows the brakes on your civic btw ? Any need for an upgrade?

Correct - those "lifetime" pads will last....The rotors pay the price.....

Best pad is a happy medium between lining/rotor life & noise......