Pattaya moans: Nothing but rude Indians, Chinese and Arabs - "they treat the place like they own it"

webfact

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Anyone want to add to this list of only a few reasons why the Westerners are not coming in the numbers they did in say 2005?

Overly strong Baht.

Too many scams.

Blinkered tourist board courting the wrong nationalities  i.e. now over run with Chinese, Indians, Middle Eastern, Madagascans ?

Not listening to advise from Westerners already in LoS.

Filthy beaches and Sois.

As mentioned, bag snatching.

Brutal unprovoked assaults.

Deadly roads.

Ineffective Policing combined with corruption.

Unsafe balconies........

Junta.

Restrictive legitimate Visas for extended periods.

Obese gogo dancers and bar girls...............

agreed, and the interesting thing is the thais don't have any clue as to the whys; and at the same time they do not understand that these higher grade tourists Do have clues and other options

Pattaya is big enough to be all things to all people, though some long established businesses may need to adapt to survive. Nobody ought to be surprised that Thailand is attracting the huge numbers of new travellers who can now afford to travel here and are only a short haul flight away in India and China.

Within a 5 minute walk from where I live in Naklua there is a new 26 storey hotel due to open shortly (The Brighton Grand Hotel) and another extension; their second; being built at the Ayira Palace Hotel. At the bottom of the hill Terminal 21 is going to be ready to open next year and will have a 500 room hotel as its centrepiece. Amari are building 2 new hotels on their site and Dusit Thani have spent the equivalent of 1 million Baht per room on their hotel's improvements. 

My concern is that the current infrastructure cannot cope, but I am confident that private investors will increasingly pick up the considerable slack caused by ineffective public spending.

In the end, the markets; and those who control and make them - major hoteliers and retailers; will ensure that Pattaya continues growing and growing profitably.

There will still be plenty of places for the sex tourists who visit and those who live in Pattaya too. It is a side of Pattaya that attracts far more people to come here than it puts off from coming here. Pattaya Walking Street is globally famous and top of the list of places to go for most first-time visitors.

Just noticed the other news article where the Minister of Tourism just got sacked. 

In all fairness, the problems started long before she took the position 3 years ago, though supposedly one of her aims was to get rid of the "sex industry".

("In her farewell letter, Khun Kobkarn did not mention her stated aim to dismantle the sex industry that figured in the news of July 2016 or her oft stated desire to stop accidents on boats.")

5 minutes ago, champers said:

My concern is that the current infrastructure cannot cope, but I am confident that private investors will increasingly pick up the considerable slack caused by ineffective public spending.

If that were going to happen, they'd already be cleaning the beaches and making sure there are no turds floating in the swimming area.

My fear is that there will never be any agreement to maintain the infrastructure and the gorgeous hotels will be islands in a dilapidated city with a sewer for a beach.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

If that were going to happen, they'd already be cleaning the beaches and making sure there are no turds floating in the swimming area.

My fear is that there will never be any agreement to maintain the infrastructure and the gorgeous hotels will be islands in a dilapidated city with a sewer for a beach.

All the major; and even small; hotels have pools serving food and drinks. They prefer their guests spend on site, rather than go to the beach.

7 minutes ago, champers said:

All the major; and even small; hotels have pools serving food and drinks. They prefer their guests spend on site, rather than go to the beach.

Bangkok is real nice if that's your plan.  Better shopping, better eateries, lots more to do, closer to the airport, history in spades, lots more sex streets. 

The only reason to leave BKK for Patts is the beach.  And frankly, that's becoming less and less of a reason until they clean it up.

5 minutes ago, timewilltell said:

Once there was a place called the Costa del Sol and the Costa Brava. British and other Europeans went there in droves. They built hotels and ripped off, scammed and raped their way out of favour until no 9ne goes there Any more. History is a worthwhile lesson!

Those places, Costa del sol and Brava are still there and holiday makers do still go there.

3 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Anyone want to add to this list of only a few reasons why the Westerners are not coming in the numbers they did in say 2005?

Overly strong Baht.

Too many scams.

Blinkered tourist board courting the wrong nationalities  i.e. now over run with Chinese, Indians, Middle Eastern, Madagascans ?

Filthy beaches and Sois.

As mentioned, bag snatching.

Deadly roads.

Ineffective Policing combined with corruption.

Unsafe balconies........

Junta.

you are referring to Pattaya, Phuket and Samui and I would agree. They all attract the worst type of people. But the rest of Thailand is nothing like these three resorts. In fact quite the opposite.

"They Don't spend much"?

Let's have the figures out and compare them to local tourists.

How about the violence and poor services they get in return not mentioning all the robbery etc ?If you don't like it CLOSE THE BORDERS LEADING TO PATTAYA & Let's see how you will survive ??

3 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Overly strong Baht.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>

Filthy beaches and Sois.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Deadly roads.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Junta.

To comment on your comments-

It's not that the baht is too strong. Far more likely your government's policies has destroyed the value of your currency as happened with my country when they elected a government that likes to spend taxpayers money.

If they listened to farangs the country might be like farangland and not worth coming to

Agreed that Thais don't give a monkeys about the environment, but always been so.

There is rarely an "unprovoked" attack. Usually caused by the farang even if he didn't realise it.

They are trying with the roads. Spending billions of baht on them. Just takes time.

I'll warrant not a single farang tourist stays away because of the government.

Visas- agreed. They need to sort that or suffer more farang flight elsewhere.

Obese BGs- agree 1million %. Never seen it so dire. I think the good looking ones are on the internet. Can add ridiculous prices being asked.

Was in a small Tesco lotus store yesterday being served at the checkout when a Middle Aged man of Indian sub continent looks, walked in door and straight to checkout where I was being served attempting to gain attention by pushing a cell phone in the face of staff girl “put money on phone” . He picked the wrong person! She ignored him and I pointed to the queue saying , “learn some manners and join the line “ amazing how people of mature years can behave in such a way, or maybe not!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, nausea said:

This is so comical; you know, I haven't been to Pattaya in years, must pay a visit, just too see if it's really got as bad as people claim.

Like you I'm sometimes tempted to go for a few beers there but I just know I'll be p----d off after an hour max.

You hit it right..and lets remember that this is exactly the quality tourists they chose to go after...you get what you wish for...good luck

Absolutely right! The word was “we don’t need falang anymore, China Indian got more money “ Now the businesses can fight over the scraps of exchanges Yuan and rupees

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Like you I'm sometimes tempted to go for a few beers there but I just know I'll be p----d off after an hour max.

Why? It's no worse than it was 10 years ago, though it's harder to find a good looking BG and the traffic is still appalling.

The beach walkway is rubbish, but I never went there for the walkway.

My biggest disappointment is that Malibu show closed.

3 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

Not really! You can add the Russians

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

you are generalizing and putting everyone in the same bag. it is with such primitive racism that there is trouble in the world. I think I'll put the the 2 racists on the ignore list, not worth reading their shit.

I'll separate out the expats from the tourists the purposes of this thread.

Russians?  That's an easy one.  The tourists have simply disappeared as their economy is being strangled by international sanctions and it shows.

Brits?  Again, not so hard.  The UK never truly recovered from the 2009 credit crunch and recently exacerbated by the uncertainty of Brexit and the cost of living.  A two week holiday to LOS isn't that cheap for a couple or family of three or four and factor in the abysmal exchange rate and there's your perfect storm.

Yanks?  Not dissimilar to the UK.  Economy in stagnation, cost of living through the roof, not to mention the exchange rate.

That's the world we live in at this moment in time and really nothing to do with Thai government tourism policy.

3 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Sadly that’s the vast majority of people living in Pattaya . Do you think these horrible businesses that never see a customer can keep the lights on from tourist money ? It’s all

laundered money 

What the hell is "laundered money"? 

Either someone is guilty of a crime, then you can get him on this crime. Or he's not guilty, then he's innocent. 

Make it hard for tourist who want to stay longer and expats who want to live here forces them to go elsewhere, then they bend over backwards to bring in these zero dollar tourists who have everything catered for is only going to get worse.

Archived