Britain's Prince Harry to marry U.S. actress Meghan Markle

snoop1130

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not really. But English is not a race, mongrel or otherwise. That I know. 

If you assumed I know nothing about the  historical origins of the people (and royal family) there, sorry to disappoint. Not all Americans are dumb like the president. 

But the main difference between most Americans and yoghurt is that the yoghurt will develop some culture.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

It's not, unless surrounded by context that clearly makes it so (e.g. disgusting mongrel).  Perhaps those who feel it's derogatory have had it used against them in such a way.

I don't agree with that. My initial negative reaction had nothing to do with my personal experience of being called a mongrel. Never happened. My personal identity is the opposite of a "mixed" person. All my ancestors going back that I know about have the exact same ethnicity. 

On the other hand, my personal experience does include unfortunate exposure to American racists against "race mixing" mostly about a fixation against white and black couples. Their rhetoric would typically say that children of such couples would be mongrels. That's very ugly HATE SPEECH in that context.

So yes I still think there's a lot of negative connotations with that word. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

Referring to the American people in Smithsonian Magazine.

Herbert Albert Laurens Fisher, A history of Europe

It's a term that has been used for ages.  I remember it in the history books when I was at school.

Why should it suddenly become derogatory?

Suddenly become derogatory?   If you are reading smithsonian and Herbert Albert Laurens Fisher your youth was a half century ago. 

Without wishing to be cynical, if this lady hasn't broken through into major Hollywood movie roles by now she probably never will. She has already resigned from her current long running TV series.

Her biological clock is ticking, so the seemingly obligatory 2 offspring will have to be produced in short order.

18 minutes ago, champers said:

Without wishing to be cynical, if this lady hasn't broken through into major Hollywood movie roles by now she probably never will. She has already resigned from her current long running TV series.

Her biological clock is ticking, so the seemingly obligatory 2 offspring will have to be produced in short order.

Yeah, so what?

I'm buying the narrative that both of them are very good people, that both are very happy with their coupling, and this will be truly be a LOVE marriage. So very romantic. Why ruin the happy times buzz. 

Of course, it may all end in tears, but why hurry that? 

7 minutes ago, Slip said:

That would be bloody fantastic!

It makes sense as the Obamas and Prince Harry have clearly already bonded. Inviting trump would only be about politics and his presence would ruin the event because everything needs to be all about him and only him wherever he goes. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, HHTel said:

It's a term that has been used for ages.  I remember it in the history books when I was at school.

Why should it suddenly become derogatory?

Because progressives like nothing more than to find a new term or affiliation that is now out of vogue and then police it to catch whoever hasn't learned the new rules yet. Addicted to outrage they are.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, so what?

I'm buying the narrative that both of them are very good people, that both are very happy with their coupling, and this will be truly be a LOVE marriage. So very romantic. Why ruin the happy times buzz. 

Of course, it may all end in tears, but why hurry that? 

If someone is born into royalty that is their good or bad luck, depending on your point of view. When a non-royal chooses to marry into that institution, one can question their motives, particularly if, as a UK taxpayer (as I am), you are funding the couple and any future offspring.

She is no doe eyed, love-struck teenager from an aristocrstic British family, but a well educated and intelligent woman. She is marrying a man who has a colourful background, to put it politely. I just question why, rather than blithely ascribing it to love.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree attacking our American PRINCESS Meghan. She's been very active in United Nations humanitarian work. As our American PRINCESS she'll be making a pivot away from the acting (which I agree she was not a big star and wasn't heading that way) towards a much greater platform to continue her international humanitarian efforts, coupled with Prince Harry (some Brit, I hear) who is also involved in such things as the Invictus Games. It's hard for me to imagine a better match. There is a time for cynicism. This isn't one of them. 

57 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Anyway, you Brits are going to grow sick and tired of Americans obsessing over the American "Princess" Meghan (yes, I know, not really, but Americans won't care ... deal with it). But think of all the souvenir tea cozies you can sell! 

Another good reason for me not to go back to the UK.

Heathrow gift shops will stuffed to the ceiling with Harry & Meghan T Shirts, Tea Towels & no doubt wedding thongs!!

:laugh::laugh::clap2::clap2:

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think you're barking up the wrong tree attacking our American PRINCESS Meghan. She's been very active in United Nations humanitarian work. As our American PRINCESS she'll be making a pivot away from the acting (which I agree she was not a big star and wasn't heading that way) towards a much greater platform to continue her international humanitarian efforts, coupled with Prince Harry (some Brit, I hear) who is also involved in such things as the Invictus Games. It's hard for me to imagine a better match. There is a time for cynicism. This isn't one of them. 

Jingthing stop winding people up with the Princess thing.

Have to admit I can't wait to see some of the replies.

?????

21 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Harry and William both seem like nice guys, who have both made good marriage choices. Hopefully they will get to live normal lives in the future, and forego the outdated institution into which they have been born.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They don't get paid extremely well by the taxpayers to have a "normal" life. If they want that they can go get a real job and live in an ordinary house like everyone with a "normal" life.

I wonder if she realises just how toxic the media monster is, or how awful palace bureaucracy can be. The red headed one crashed and burned because of it.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Just what our little red headed prince wants- a princess who's always too busy saving the planet to play hunt the sausage. Poor 'arry. Doomed before he even got started.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They don't get paid extremely well by the taxpayers to have a "normal" life. If they want that they can go get a real job and live in an ordinary house like everyone with a "normal" life.

I wonder if she realises just how toxic the media monster is, or how awful palace bureaucracy can be. The red headed one crashed and burned because of it.

I've been watching the history series on Channel 4 called The Windsors.

Harry Enfield plays Prince Charles, I can't remember the other actors.

Good modern history series.

1 hour ago, champers said:

It's not obligatory for them. The necessary heir and a spare has already been provided by the next king of England and Wales. I say of England and Wales and not of the UK as by the time Lizzie shuffles off her mortal coil Scotland and Ireland will possibly have split. If Charles hasn't gone ahead of mummy, I hope no one is going to seriously consider him for the big chair, given it would only be for a few years and not worth changing the money and stationary for.

I seriously doubt there will ever be a Queen Meghan.

56 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Jingthing stop winding people up with the Princess thing.

Have to admit I can't wait to see some of the replies.

?????

She'll only be a plain, common or garden Duchess. They are 10 a penny in the UK.