Where to meet new friends in Chiang Mai ?

Muggi1968

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think living in Chiang Mai is making me weird :omfg:.

I'd love to move back to Pattaya, but from reading the Pattaya forum it seems the place has had a mass attack of weird, and isn't worth going to at the moment. Hopefully it has recovered from this unfortunate attack of weird by low season next year.

Most farangs in Thailand are either weird to begin with or become weird as the years pass. But yes, those in Pattaya probably lead in this field.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, XGM said:

Most farangs in Thailand are either weird to begin with or become weird as the years pass. But yes, those in Pattaya probably lead in this field.

Perhaps so, but I'd rather be weird in Pattaya than weird elsewhere.

I very much enjoy being weird till dawn, while in C M I can only be weird till midnight when everyone has to go to bed because the city authorities don't allow any weirdness in the early hours.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I very much enjoy being weird till dawn, while in C M I can only be weird till midnight when everyone has to go to bed because the city authorities don't allow any weirdness in the early hours.

Last time I was in the town everything started to close down by 10.00pm. By 11.00pm it was dead. Once you leave the centre of town it`s even deader.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The word weird seems to be 'growing on folk'

• 2 weeks later...
On December 12, 2560 BE at 1:13 PM, Gruff said:

I see your points but i often wonder how many older guys in such a position have been fooled into spending money and how many have decided that is what they want to spend their money on and take the risk Additionally there are a number of guys i have known in CM who seem to have made quite a conscious decision to 'drink themselves to death'.  I think the issues are complicated and being back in their home country is not necessarily a better option.

So many on here talk about learning the culture but i await a decent explanaton of what 'culture' it is that they will learn and how it benefits? I have not been here a long while but i know there is a culture of Buddhism and temple visits  a culture of music and dance and a culture of prosttution. What other knowledge re culture would benefit me?

There is a culture of non-confrontation and smiles and peacefulness and getting along with others, especially in the family, a culture of dtu lair, taking care and sharing. I live in a farming village with a very large extended family. I am totally fascinated by the fact that an average poor Thai seems to me much happier and much more secure than a middle class Westerner in my home country. 

And there is a culture of friendliness, strangers saying hello and smiling in the mall, family sticking together if there is an illness. Concern and caring. I see and live with people who have much more security than social security can provide, as they have each other, as they are there for the others as well. 

Edited by kenk24

On 12/19/2017 at 5:13 AM, XGM said:

Speak for yourself !  AH

On 04/01/2018 at 1:04 AM, kenk24 said:

There is a culture of non-confrontation and smiles and peacefulness and getting along with others, especially in the family, a culture of dtu lair, taking care and sharing. I live in a farming village with a very large extended family. I am totally fascinated by the fact that an average poor Thai seems to me much happier and much more secure than a middle class Westerner in my home country. 

And there is a culture of friendliness, strangers saying hello and smiling in the mall, family sticking together if there is an illness. Concern and caring. I see and live with people who have much more security than social security can provide, as they have each other, as they are there for the others as well. 

On 1/3/2018 at 9:04 PM, kenk24 said:

Yea they never lie, jump queues or cheat.

1 hour ago, PattayaAngel said:

Yea they never lie, jump queues or cheat.

Surely that can happen but I have found it not a frequent occurrence in the countryside. And in your pattaya which exists as an amusement park with many lovely drunken farang, you will surely get some bad reactions to bad behavior. Being non confrontational does not mean that they take crap. 

You do get to choose the world you live in. Sounds like your world is not so pleasant. However, I bet if you knew some Thai, language and custom, your time here would be more pleasant. 

Good luck to you. 

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Surely that can happen but I have found it not a frequent occurrence in the countryside. And in your pattaya which exists as an amusement park with many lovely drunken farang, you will surely get some bad reactions to bad behavior. Being non confrontational does not mean that they take crap. 

You do get to choose the world you live in. Sounds like your world is not so pleasant. However, I bet if you knew some Thai, language and custom, your time here would be more pleasant. 

Good luck to you. 

I don't live in Pattaya and your assumptions are completely wrong. You have much to learn and experience and I hope it isn't too bumpy as your rose tinted specs will fall off eventually.  Good luck to you too.