Run a red light 1000 baht - reckless driving 400 - comment rife on "new, double" Pattaya fines

webfact

Run a red light 1000 baht - reckless driving 400 - comment rife on "new, double" Pattaya fines

23843396_1074819402620568_4065727040702788706_n.jpg

Picture: Facebook True Pattaya

Comment was rife on Facebook after "True Pattaya" claimed that fines at the resort had doubled.

"Everything has doubled recently" they said as pictures of the description of fines at the police station were shared.

This notion was however rejected by most posters who said that this set of charges was always the case.

Though it may be useful for reference for any tourists thinking of taking to bike or car while on holiday in Pattaya.

'Run a red light' is listed as a 1,000 baht offence while 'reckless driving' could set you back less than half that, 400 baht.

Another 1,000 baht fine that met with the approval of many posters fed up with souped up bikes was the 1,000 baht tariff on noisy emissions. This was listed under 'Using a vehicle while making noise louder than the prescribed standard".

While illegally modifying a vehicle or "illegal vehicle" could also set miscreants back 1,000 baht.

Other 400 baht fines were waiting for people parking illegally, not wearing helmets on the front or back of bikes, having no license, no owner's registration or overdue tax or going the wrong way.

A fine of 600 baht could be levied for those with no insurance.

Source: Facebook True Pattaya

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-28

cats.jpg
Image: True Pattaya

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

A lot less than paying an annual insurance premium, and as they believe they will never be involved in an accident, many take the chance.

In reality, none of the fines are an actual deterrent, and unless the numbers are greatly increased, the mess that is on Thai roads, will continue indefinitely.

They only have to purchase the compulsory government insurance which is only about Baht 600. Most Thai’s who are insured only have this. The rest nothing. 

• Like 1

I see motorists running red lights everytime I am driving in Pattaya, so watch out before you start after green especially if busses in behind each other are following each other through red lights at high speeds.

you are dead if you start too early!!!!

Fines are good but enforcing them??????

• Like 2

I am yet to see the cops stopping and fining anyone for jumping the red lights, even though it is a common occurrence at just about every set of lights. I have seen many people wiped out because of this, but the cops are normally found up the road nicking people for minor, but not accident causing offenses. And still the powers that be scratch their heads over how to reduce the death toll!

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Why not make fines amount set nation wide?

Lol... if everyone knows the fine amount,  then adding a little bit here and there, to line an empty uniform pocket, would be more obvious.

that said.... no need to worry overly much, as the chances of being stopped are very very low, due to standard policing methods.

But as an aside, I find it strange that a noisy vehicle will attract the same fine as a red light runner... One is annoying, the other is a killer

If they started enforcing the illegal parking fines on Thepprasit they'd make a fortune in no time. I've never seen so much idiotic and inconsiderate double parking, and usually it's just to save the driver from walking ten yards as there's often a parking space nearby.

Those figures been that way for ages. I had a chat with a traffic BIB quite some time ago asking why, when they receive a percentage of the fine, were they not concentrating on the red light runners rather than no license/helmets? No answer was the reply. Presumably concerned over who they might end up stopping?

• Like 1

Quite reasonable fines IF applied consistently to all offenders and IF the dosh ends up in the actual real police coffers.....  They could get about 50K a minute from the lights at Theprasit and South Pattaya Road alone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

what i never understand, is why not having a drivers license, or failing to register the verhicle or not having an insurance,  does not result in the confiscation of the vehicle.

Occasionally, it does. But generally the police just want to take the easy way out and take cash. Have a look behind your local police station and there will be many impounded vehicles, albeit the majority of them smashed up in a crash.

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

A lot less than paying an annual insurance premium, and as they believe they will never be involved in an accident, many take the chance.

In reality, none of the fines are an actual deterrent, and unless the numbers are greatly increased, the mess that is on Thai roads, will continue indefinitely.

It's not 600 baht per year, it's every time they're caught which could add up to 219,000 baht per year.

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Why not make fines amount set nation wide?

Because the police might have to enforce them thats why  Running a red light should be 3 month license disqualification plus 5000 baht fine That is how bloody dangerous this is  But then again i might be to hard on the Thai drivers They may be all colour blind there fore none of them should have a license Bring in as many fines as you like the problem still is to get the cops to enforce them That is the whole problem 

• Like 1