Structured Thread -- Settling the Jomtien to North Pattaya Fare Controversy!

Jingthing

This is a structured thread.

It is only about a very specific thing.

Traveling by baht bus from Jomtien past just past Pattaya Klang and further north from that as far as into Naklua (sometimes the buses go that far). 

It's well established just going from Jomtien as far as just past Pattaya Klang, TEN BAHT will be accepted by the vast majority of drivers (in my experience over 99 percent of the time).

So this isn't about that.

It is ONLY for specific ONE TRIP reports going from Jomtien to past just past Pattaya Klang.

If we can collect hundreds of these ONE TRIP reports from a diverse range of riders, I think we can establish once and for all what is the actual (accepted) fare for these rides.

Suggested format. 

Please follow this suggested format or it will be very difficult to count the reports and come to any conclusion.

Just talk about one trip for EACH post. Not a post about many trips.

ONLY post if your ride was from Jomtien to somewhere past just past Pattaya Klang and you offered TEN BAHT.

State (roughly) where you got off in North Pattaya. 

For example, Hard Rock Hotel, Pattaya International Hospital, Marina Mall, North Pattaya Road, into Naklua, etc.

If you paid TWENTY baht at first, do not post the report. The drivers will always take the 20 baht. 

These reports are only useful for those that initially pay only 10 baht.

SAMPLE TRIP REPORT POSTS --

10 baht accepted

to North Pattaya Road

20 baht demanded

to Hard Rock Hotel

Details about what happened in cases where the 20 baht was demanded when paying the 10 baht are not needed here.

The only purpose here is to try to objective determine the rate of PUSHBACK from drivers when 10 baht is offered.

If this thread is going to work, it's going to be a very long thread.

In my experience starting structured threads like this usually doesn't work as people go off the rails and don't cooperate.

But at least I tried. If you think you can do better, you try.

Cheers and let the riding begin!

Edited by Jingthing

Report:

to Marina Mall

10 baht accepted

_______

Please read the OP for the guidelines for this structured thread.

Let the games begin.

100 or 200 of these following the structured format reports and we can get at the real fare.

Please avoid jumping to final conclusions until we have gathered a significant number of reports.

The more valid reports the more conclusive we can be.

Reports that don't provide the destination should be discarded. Why? Because some may report 10 accepted when getting off just after Klang. That is already known as a 10 baht ride.

Boarding in Jomtien only reports please.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Does where you get on matter? Where is the 'Jomtien-Pattaya border' Is it at 3rd road - South Pattaya under the overpass? 

If you get on between 3rd road and South Pattaya or even further up, do you still get charged another 10 baht to cross Klang?

Or does the (some) bus operate on the principle that they 'terminate' on Klang but actually continues onwards and anything past Klang is considered another journey but they let it slide if you get off before Central Marina

Paid 50 Baht as was more than happy with the quality of the driving......:smile:

Seriously I always pay 20 Baht its frankly taking the piss to offer 10 Baht from Jomtien beach to north of Pattaya Klang intersection.

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"It's well established just going from Jomtien as far as just past Pattaya Klang, TEN BAHT will be accepted by the vast majority of drivers (in my experience over 99 percent of the time).

So this isn't about that.

It is ONLY for specific ONE TRIP reports going from Jomtien to past just past Pattaya Klang."

Confusing.... You say it isn't about the 1st example...However, the 2nd example appears to me to be exactly tje same as the 1st?

I am sorry you are confused but I thought I made this VERY clear.

"Just past" Pattaya Klang is meant LITERALLY!

So the bus passes Pattaya Klang, then you immediately bus, and you get off the bus there.

That is not nearly as far as the HARD ROCK HOTEL!

Got it now? I hope so.

Edited by Jingthing

We will try this again, please see the OP for detail of how to reply.

Anything other than the cost and destination will be removed, So lets see if we can make a success of this survey this time :smile:

Starting point is Jomtien:

SAMPLE TRIP REPORT POSTS --

examples:

10 baht accepted

to North Pattaya Road

20 baht demanded

to Hard Rock Hotel

One trip one post please

23 minutes ago, Lumbini said:

Where is Pattaya Klang emoji780.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

That's an ON topic post (even though not a report) because it asks for clarification about the guidelines here. 

Also known as CENTRAL Pattaya Road.

Riding from Jomtien you first hit a traffic light at Pattaya Tai (South Pattaya Road).

The bus proceeds past Royal Garden Mall, Avenue Mall, Mikes Mall, Central Mall and then there is another traffic light.

That is Pattaya Klang.

If you hit the bus buzzer just as you pass Pattaya Klang and get off, this is not a valid ride to report here.

Valid reports are only about trips FROM Jomtien that go FURTHER than that.

That's why it's important for all valid reports to say WHERE they got off (or they won't be counted). 

klang.jpg.d3ad53ced27de02d28b640c60a7ba5de.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

On 11/30/2017 at 11:57 AM, Chivas said:

Paid 50 Baht as was more than happy with the quality of the driving......:smile:

Seriously I always pay 20 Baht its frankly taking the piss to offer 10 Baht from Jomtien beach to north of Pattaya Klang intersection.

Thanks for sharing.

Just a reminder, posts as above are OFF TOPIC for this thread.

This is not a discussion thread about the ethics of paying 10 or 20 baht. Plenty of other threads about that!

This thread only exists to gather many, many VALID RIDE REPORTS so that eventually they can be counted and conclusions can be made about the generally ACCEPTED fares.

If you are paying 20 baht, 50 baht, 100 baht whatever for rides from Jomtien to North Pattaya, you will not have any rides to report here.

Edited by Jingthing

On 11/30/2017 at 10:48 AM, JRUSA said:

Again pratamnak hill soi 1 to Central Marina

. 10 baht...

Pratamnak hill soi 1 to dolphin circle .. 10 baht..

Thanks for the valid reports.

Just a reminder -- one report for each post. 

The intention of this thread (hope springs eternal) is for it to be open for a long time, weeks or even months, so that people can report CURRENT rides as they make them, one by one.

There is no limit to how many reports a person can make though over time, so this is nothing like a one man / one vote situation. 

On 11/30/2017 at 9:56 AM, digbeth said:

Does where you get on matter? Where is the 'Jomtien-Pattaya border' Is it at 3rd road - South Pattaya under the overpass? 

If you get on between 3rd road and South Pattaya or even further up, do you still get charged another 10 baht to cross Klang?

Or does the (some) bus operate on the principle that they 'terminate' on Klang but actually continues onwards and anything past Klang is considered another journey but they let it slide if you get off before Central Marina

I really didn't want to get into defining Jomtien.

This thread is difficult enough to make work with the complexity of people needing to report where they got off.

I think people generally know they are boarding in Jomtien.

But since you asked and it is a valid question, let's say as a rough guideline the border for the purposes of this thread is roughly at the top of Pratamnak hill.

It could be defined in other ways. Such a Tepprasit or like you said the 3rd road underpass.

I think roughly at the top of hill is reasonable enough compromise.

Again, this is complicated enough and it is not a requirement (or even asked) where you boarded in Jomtien.

Some may say there is a big difference to the driver if you got on far out on Jomtien Beach road vs. Tepprasit or top of hill.

Perhaps, but there are limits here and it's just too complicated to add that variable for the purposes of this thread.

10 baht accepted from Jomtien (police station) to Central Marina  

I took this trip a few weeks ago. And in total this trip I have taken around 6 times the last year. In all of the trips I handed over a 10 baht coin and walked away . 

Edited by balo

39 minutes ago, balo said:

10 baht accepted from Jomtien (police station) to Central Marina  

I took this trip a few weeks ago. And in total this trip I have taken around 6 times the last year. In all of the trips I handed over a 10 baht coin and walked away . 

I'll count that as ONE report. In future, please only post current trips, and of course one at a time, AS you take them. Thanks. I will be posting an additional guideline about this issue. 

ADDITION TO REPORTING GUIDELINES

Current ride reports only

Adding date of ride suggested (but not required)

In order to improve the quality of these reports, a new guideline is to post the DATE of the ride (optional but helpful). The reason for this is that for people to post rides they took last month, six months ago, a year ago, etc. lowers the quality of these reports as far as providing a good picture of the CURRENT situation. 

So not interested in history here. There was a member on another thread who said he's taken scads of trips over the years like this paying 10 baht and always accepted. That's interesting, but the idea here is to post SINGLE TRIP REPORTS as you do take them, going forward from NOW. 

Another good reason to keep the REPORTS current is that if this thread lasts a long time we may be able to detect changes or trends over time. Definitely what happened LAST YEAR is not relevant now. 

Thanks again for all that choose to post valid trip reports. See O.P. for guidelines. Adding a DATE is not a requirement for a report to be valid, but I'm adding this suggestion really to emphasize that the idea is to post CURRENT reports and I think I've explained why.

Happy riding!

Edited by Jingthing

13 baht cost

Embarked at Pratumnak and Theprasit intersection.

Departure at Soi 6/1

Gave the driver a 10 and 3 of the 1 baht loose coins as they were in my pocket.

He smiled and although he was missing a tooth, seemed genuinely happy with the payment.

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks for sharing.

Just a reminder, posts as above are OFF TOPIC for this thread.

This is not a discussion thread about the ethics of paying 10 or 20 baht. Plenty of other threads about that!

This thread only exists to gather many, many VALID RIDE REPORTS so that eventually they can be counted and conclusions can be made about the generally ACCEPTED fares.

If you are paying 20 baht, 50 baht, 100 baht whatever for rides from Jomtien to North Pattaya, you will not have any rides to report here.

Are you for real mate and I'm being incredibly polite here.... Have a word with yourself. I'll pay 20 baht thank you because its taking the piss not to simple as. 20 Baht in Sterling is 46 pence for a ride depending on where you get on at Jomtien beach of many many kilometres.  Even in a 3rd world country its ludicrously cheap but hey ho you advocate 23p...Jesus wept

Edited by Chivas

this is the most interesting structured thread i have encountered in 13 years of reading Thaivisa. i can hardly wait for the conclusion which i deem extremely important for my future investment decisions (domestic and globally).