Flying with a visa but no return ticket

Hi, I have a 3 month ED Visa for a 3 month internship.

My return ticket's date is not within the period of validity of my visa, because I plan on going for a visa run after the internship, in order to spend 1 more month in thailand as a tourist.

Is it possible that the airline company will require me to show a return ticket at the airport ?

If so, would the fact that the date is beyond the validity limit of my visa be a problem ?

I'm concerned about being denied boarding...

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A return or onward ticket is not required if you have a valid visa for entry.

I would not take that for granted as a general statement . OK the op mentioned Thailand and even that is not a foregone conclusion . Depending on the airline they can and do refuse boarding without proof of forward travel as the airline will be held responsible by the country of destinations I.O. The airline will be obliged to return the passenger to the country of origin for free & also incur a penalty . I was recently put under the 3rd degree by a over zealous check in agent at Heathrow when flying out to Thailand on a one way ticket . She called her supervisor who checked my multiple entry o visa , saw the fact that I am a frequent flyer and allowed me passage . Below an extract that I found on the subject .   Ubonjoe ,   I am not being critical of you as we all know you are a fountain of good information but I was a bit concerned that you may be taken the wrong way .

A few countries definitely require documented proof of onward travel. They include New Zealand, the United Kingdom, United States, Brazil, Indonesia, Costa Rica, Peru, and the Philippines.

However depending on the airline you use, you might also get asked for proof before visiting countries like Thailand, Mexico, and Panama. Do some research on your destination country to be sure.

• Sad 1

My flights always originate in Thailand, thus whenever flying back to Thailand I am always flying without onward travel. 

Check in personnel regularly check through my passport to ensure I have a visa to ensure I am complying with Immigration Regulations which require either an Onward Ticket or a Valid Visa.

Proof of onward travel & 20,000 baht (currency equivalent) is required for those entering Thailand on a Visa Exempt Stamp or Visa on Arrival. 

While nothing is ever guaranteed in Thailand, I personally have been flying in an out for 20 years on with a Visa and without onward tickets. Thus, a fair assumption would be that you will not face any issues flying in to Thailand on your 3 Month ED Visa without an onward ticket. 

29 minutes ago, superal said:

However depending on the airline you use, you might also get asked for proof before visiting countries like Thailand, Mexico, and Panama. Do some research on your destination country to be sure

Indeed, the OP correctly did such research, and verified that an onward ticket is only needed if traveling to Thailand without a visa (intending to enter visa exempt). Since the OP is traveling with a visa, the rules state that no onward ticket is required.

The fact that  inexperienced check in staff misread the requirements until put right by a supervisor does not render @ubonjoe's correct advice any less valid. It is true that an airline can refuse to carry anyone for any reason, but usually major airlines will only do so in response to IATA regulations.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My flights always originate in Thailand, thus whenever flying back to Thailand I am always flying without onward travel. 

Check in personnel regularly check through my passport to ensure I have a visa to ensure I am complying with Immigration Regulations which require either an Onward Ticket or a Valid Visa.

Proof of onward travel & 20,000 baht (currency equivalent) is required for those entering Thailand on a Visa Exempt Stamp or Visa on Arrival. 

While nothing is ever guaranteed in Thailand, I personally have been flying in an out for 20 years on with a Visa and without onward tickets. Thus, a fair assumption would be that you will not face any issues flying in to Thailand on your 3 Month ED Visa without an onward ticket. 

So that applies to the 2 week UK tourists on a travel company holiday ? I also hear that many Chinese are on an all inclusive tour and carry little money .

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The world is constantly changing.

I too have been flying in and out of Thailand regularly for 18 years and I agree that there used to be no issue.

Also, Immigration have I think only asked me once for a return ticket.

However, its different now (at least the last few years) because of the airlines asking for your return ticket - including air asia.

Even though i have a retirement extension i often get asked at check in for the return ticket and have to argue that there is no need. So they check with superiors and get it cleared.

Take your chance but beware of getting stopped at the airport, and not allowed to board.

(Unless you buy an extra ticket). 

You have only yourself to blame if this happens.

The requirements for a return ticket are almost universal. It isn't just a thai issue.

Don't understand why is it that a lot of people dont believe that it is important. The requirements are clear.

I have been refused boarding because I forgot to get a return ticket a couple of times in the past about 10 and 20 years ago. (Not Thailand). It can screw up the best of plans. 

I was also once refused boarding in transit in the middle east to Hong Kong because of no return ticket despite the fact that I have a British passport. That took some concerted effort with senior staff before they allowed me to board, and I think that they only allowed me on because they had let me board initially and would have had to fly me back to the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

So that applies to the 2 week UK tourists on a travel company holiday ? I also hear that many Chinese are on an all inclusive tour and carry little money .

The "money" requirement is selectively enforced.  Categories of highest risk include

• Those entering visa-exempt or with Tourist visas, if they have longer-staying histories, because some IOs think their should be a law preventing longer-stays. Reports indicate they will even cite non-existent laws /rules to this effect.
  • Those arriving on ED visas, whom they seem to single-out, for having a visa that will allow them to long-stay.  Especially harsh treatment can be expected if leaving/returning with a Non-ED + re-entry permit.
  • Those arriving Tourist / VOA from low per-capita income nations who are not part of tours, based on suspicion of not having the funds for their stay.

UK Tourists on travel-company tours are probably 1st Time (non-longer-stay) visitors.  Clearly few come from there to take under-the-table jobs, so unlikely to be asked to "show the money."

Chinese on cheap-tours are also unlikely to be asked to show money.  They are even given "free visas" or 1/2 price VOAs - a 1000 Baht savings which helps make their zero-baht tour possible.  Much speculation as to why Thailand is, essentially, taxpayer-subsidizing their visits.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The "money" requirement is selectively enforced.  Categories of highest risk include

• Those entering visa-exempt or with Tourist visas, if they have longer-staying histories, because some IOs think their should be a law preventing longer-stays. Reports indicate they will even cite non-existent laws /rules to this effect.
  • Those arriving on ED visas, whom they seem to single-out, for having a visa that will allow them to long-stay.  Especially harsh treatment can be expected if leaving/returning with a Non-ED + re-entry permit.
  • Those arriving Tourist / VOA from low per-capita income nations who are not part of tours, based on suspicion of not having the funds for their stay.

UK Tourists on travel-company tours are probably 1st Time (non-longer-stay) visitors.  Clearly few come from there to take under-the-table jobs, so unlikely to be asked to "show the money."

Chinese on cheap-tours are also unlikely to be asked to show money.  They are even given "free visas" or 1/2 price VOAs - a 1000 Baht savings which helps make their zero-baht tour possible.  Much speculation as to why Thailand is, essentially, taxpayer-subsidizing their visits.

Clearly the whole business is open to the interpretation of the I.O. and there is scope for flexibility both good and bad and nothing you can do about the decision reached . So there is a risk with a one way ticket to Thailand and for sure when leaving the UK as quoted by jojothai  and myself . I think a multi entry visa to Thailand automatically suggests you intend to leave the country at some point especially with multi entry stamps in your passport but a single entry visa with a one way ticket will raise suspicions at both departures and arrivals in many countries .

5 hours ago, superal said:

Clearly the whole business is open to the interpretation of the I.O. and there is scope for flexibility both good and bad and nothing you can do about the decision reached . So there is a risk with a one way ticket to Thailand and for sure when leaving the UK as quoted by jojothai  and myself . I think a multi entry visa to Thailand automatically suggests you intend to leave the country at some point especially with multi entry stamps in your passport but a single entry visa with a one way ticket will raise suspicions at both departures and arrivals in many countries .

I have seen two examples of a person having trouble entering *with a visa* (not exempt) and no outgoing-ticket.  In one case, the rogue-IO forced him to buy a return ticket before being let in.  In the other, he was accused of coming to work illegally and denied-entry.  I believe both victims had a longer-term history in Thailand.

Could it happen, given reports indicate there seems to be little professional-oversight of IOs at airports?  In theory, yes.  But, if they really want to make up something, the ticket might make no difference.  This is why I stopped using Thai airports years ago. 

OTOH, the IO has to write one of two things (99% of cases) in the passport as a reason for denying entry:  1) Didn't have the cash or 2) intending to work illegally.  That stamp creates an accountability chain.  The "intends to work illegally" stamp is rare, and the IO would need a longer-staying victim to avoid possible scrutiny of their decision - since one cannot hold down a job while not here. 

If worried, carry an itinerary with plans to take the train to Singapore or Laos.  Or if one has a longer-stay history that might irk a xenophobe, fly into Penang and enter by Train.

Edited by JackThompson

2 hours ago, Suitcase said:

If one thought there would be a problem with a one way ticket

I have been told to buy a full refundable ticket for the return and cancel it when you reach Thailand.

If coming Visa-Exempt (no visa), a fully-refundable ticket or "throw-away" cheap tickets are the best options. 

If arriving *with a visa*, neither are necessary

The only exception is if one is in a "high risk" category (Longer-stay history, ED visa, etc), and have decided to play Thai-entry-lottery - risking denial-of-entry for arbitrarily enforced, non-legal reason - by choosing to enter at an airport.  In that case, it *might* help - but since it is not a legally required measure, could be ignored by an IO.  The most effective measure to reduce the chances of rejection is 20K+ Baht worth of cash-in-hand (not on plastic) to show the IO.