Thailand can learn as Phuket halves road accidents

webfact

Thailand can learn as Phuket halves road accidents

By The Nation

e614e64cc2e4f17cc939b7043cd069b9-sld.jpe

Phuket has won praise from health and safety agencies for halving the number of road accidents taking place there in the decade ending in 2016.

In the decade previous, 1997-2006, Phuket was among Thailand’s five worst provinces in terms of death and injury resulting from road accidents.

The dramatic reduction in accidents and casualties has been credited to a focus on accident-prone locations (where crashes were cut by 30 per cent), strict law enforcement using speed guns, breathalysers and cameras at intersections (leading to 10 times more drunk drivers arrested in 2016), and an efficient network of multidisciplinary emergency response teams.

The government meanwhile has ordered additional efforts in safety management, road infrastructure, vehicle safety and post-crash care and remedial measures.

Public Health Ministry chief inspector-general Dr Supakit Sirilak said on Thursday these initiatives are in response to directives issued for the United Nations Decade of Action for Road Safety (2011-2020), which seek a 50-per-cent reduction in road fatalities.

Supakit was addressing journalists on a tour of three “road-safety model areas” in Phuket.

He said updates on road safety now come mainly from the Royal Thai Police, death certificates issued and provided by the Interior and Health ministries, and Bangkok-based Road Accident Victims Protection Co Ltd.

Last year saw 22,356 Thais killed in road accidents, a ratio of 34.4 per 100,000 population, Supakit said.

Three-quarters of the victims were male, and most victims were between 15 and 26 years old.

An estimated 5,000 Thais are maimed or disabled in road crashes every year, he said.

Supakit stressed that Thailand must tackle the problem and shed its notorious ranking among the 10 countries with the highest number of deaths on the roads.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30332967

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-01

24 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Really... Phuket halves road accidents in 2016. What about 2017 ? I see news reports almost every other day.

I think on average we about one road death every other day, a number that has been more or less stable for quite some time now. The reports we read are of course only the serious accidents, but I agree, very much doubt Phuket halved the number, it seems quite stable, and if Phuket is a lighting example for the rest of Thailand I can't see much improvement anywhere.

I thought the cameras at intersections were setup in 2017?

Speedguns on the island, anybody ever seen a mobile unit?

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

<snip>

I thought the cameras at intersections were setup in 2017?

Speedguns on the island, anybody ever seen a mobile unit?

I saw one of the small community police cars last year on Patak road just past the Arcadia Hilton. They were there over 2 days but looked as if the were 'playing' about with the kit. Was a VASCAR type on a tripod.Never seen a speed gun on the island.

With such good news why aren't relevant stats quoted - number of accidents involving death and injury 1997-2006 and 2007-16? Bad reporting that undermines the credibility of the whole story, padding it out with last year's stats doesn't cut the mustard.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

In the decade previous, 1997-2006, Phuket was among Thailand’s five worst provinces in terms of death and injury resulting from road accidents.

The story would make a lot more sense if it was about Phuket improving its relative position, i.e. the rest of the country is catching up.

"Public Health Ministry chief inspector-general Dr Supakit Sirilak said on Thursday these initiatives are in response to directives issued for the United Nations Decade of Action for Road Safety (2011-2020), which seek a 50-per-cent reduction in road fatalities."

Cynical old me, someone sets a target (50%), and someone hits it, sort of.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

I find the roads are getting a lot worse. More young Thai guys are buying big bikes (and paying the consequences. Minibus drivers are as bad as ever, those wet roads keep making drivers crash or fall asleep and as for brake failures..............................

1 hour ago, beechbum said:

I saw a cop on a bike pull over a couple of Thai teens and fine them for no helmet the other day.

But did the cop let them continue their journey without helmets? I feel stopping them from riding until they have helmets and for that matter valid licences and registration is the only way to change the mindset of those who don't give a shit about traffic laws.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Supakit stressed that Thailand must tackle the problem and shed its notorious ranking among the 10 countries with the highest number of deaths on the roads.

Ranking among the top 10?

You mean a solid #2 for ages and recent talk the number 1 spot has been acquired.

All that data...gathered by who? Interpreted by who? I've been here for 10 years and haven't seen a single gram of change regards to applying the rules of the road. I have seen a ten fold rise in the amount of cars and bikes on the road here...which also means a ten fold rise in idiots. My own stats end eyes immediately tell me this headline is a load of "ye olde cods wallop".

There are no magic pill to reduce accidents. It will take years of continual improvements. I will note that Thailand will always be high on the list because of the ratio of motorbikes to cars/vans/trucks/etc. If you remove bikes from the number and bike form the world numbers maybe you will see the countries with a high ratio lead in road deaths. but I must note that countries with a huge number of bikes vs cars may have a low number of deaths.

People continue to ride in the back of trucks. Many lives can be saved if they face in the opposite direction of the driver. They really need to be taught to put their backs to the cab. I always see them facing the front of the truck. A sudden stop will cause serious injuries this way. Teach them to face the back of the truck will save many injuries.

14 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

But did the cop let them continue their journey without helmets? I feel stopping them from riding until they have helmets and for that matter valid licences and registration is the only way to change the mindset of those who don't give a shit about traffic laws.

Nah, they'd rather cop out.

"Last year saw 22,356 Thais killed in road accidents, a ratio of 34.4 per 100,000 population, Supakit said.

Three-quarters of the victims were male, and most victims were between 15 and 26 years old.

An estimated 5,000 Thais are maimed or disabled in road crashes every year, he said."

REALLY? Fewer people are maimed or disabled than are killed.  

20 hours ago, webfact said:

praise from health and safety agencies for halving the number of road accidents

20 hours ago, webfact said:

focus on accident-prone locations (where crashes were cut by 30 per cent),

How does one get to halving?

1 hour ago, ebean001 said:

People continue to ride in the back of trucks. Many lives can be saved if they face in the opposite direction of the driver. They really need to be taught to put their backs to the cab. I always see them facing the front of the truck. A sudden stop will cause serious injuries this way. Teach them to face the back of the truck will save many injuries.

pickups ARE NOT FOR FERRYING people around....so they should NOT be in the back of one....its as simple as that...

The dramatic reduction in accidents and casualties has been credited to a focus on accident-prone locations (where crashes were cut by 30 per cent), strict law enforcement using speed guns, breathalysers and cameras at intersections (leading to 10 times more drunk drivers arrested in 2016), and an efficient network of multidisciplinary emergency response teams.

If this is true, it is a good thing. I am skeptical, as I tend not to believe ANYTHING a Thai agency tells us. But, there is a strange thing known as a deterrent. It is used throughout most of the world, to keep the roads safer. In Thailand it barely seems to exist. On the highways, the only time I see a cop is AFTER an accident. I have never once in over a decade, witnessed someone being pulled over for speeding, or reckless driving. Never once. I have heard about DUI checks, but never seen one. 

Unless and until the police can be convinced, or trained, or coerced into doing their jobs, nothing will change. Nothing. 

Results like this are best measured yearly not each decade. In the past decade Phuket roads have improved dramatically and vehicle technologies such as braking and steering systems,  better air bags etc have improved. Thailand seems to love these self gratification presentation but they need to be in perspective.

17 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

The only way is the Viet way!!   Take their keys and impound the bike for 48 hours.

Then they may return, with nice helmet, (one per person) pay their fine and take their bike.  :smile: