Good doctor needed for post tramadol recovery

dblaisde

For both of you...

I was taking 1 (50 mg/day) but I took them for 3 years, and every day for the last six months or so, which is how I got addicted (I know its a small amount but Im seventy years old, if that makes a difference).

The symptom is intense shivering to the point where I have to stop talking because I cant hold the conversation, let alone continue. This will happen any time theres a slight change in  temperature (eg if I take off my jacket). My body acclimates after five minutes and Im ok again.

But its not only this: my body is under physical tension and tightness all day. I think this is due to worry though.

I know it sounds crazy but getting over withdrawal symptoms is centered around replacing the substance that triggers pleasure in your brain with something less damaging than the drug.  High quality dark chocolate.. With a good sugar content will help. You may find yourself eating a massive bar every time you feel a craving.. That's OK don't worry about the chocolate consumption doe now.. You can adjust that down later. 

10 minutes ago, tonray said:

I know it sounds crazy but getting over withdrawal symptoms is centered around replacing the substance that triggers pleasure in your brain with something less damaging than the drug.  High quality dark chocolate.. With a good sugar content will help. You may find yourself eating a massive bar every time you feel a craving.. That's OK don't worry about the chocolate consumption doe now.. You can adjust that down later. 

Try adding a real massage to that (once every two days for example) and see if that helps, along with tonray's suggestion.

Failing that, have you researched the methodology used to wean folks off this drug?

I'm off the drug, but the drug isn't off me. Withdrawal happens to everyone, and with tramadol the length is very hard to predict.

A simple question: Can anybody recommend a good doctor for this, preferably from experience?

6 hours ago, dblaisde said:

For both of you...

I was taking 1 (50 mg/day) but I took them for 3 years, and every day for the last six months or so, which is how I got addicted (I know its a small amount but Im seventy years old, if that makes a difference).

The symptom is intense shivering to the point where I have to stop talking because I cant hold the conversation, let alone continue. This will happen any time theres a slight change in  temperature (eg if I take off my jacket). My body acclimates after five minutes and Im ok again.

But its not only this: my body is under physical tension and tightness all day. I think this is due to worry though.

That hardly sounds unendurable. As you are already 3 weeks off the drug it is unlikely any doctor would medicate you for this, rather would advise just putting up with it until it gradually subsides, which it will...especially since an inability to tolerate even brief physical or mental discomfort is a common charcteristic among addicts and one that often  underlies the development of an addiction.

I think you would do far better to seek psychological help for your anxiety and other psychological issues. If you do not, it is only a matter of time before another addiction takes the place of the old one.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

That hardly sounds unendurable. As you are already 3 weeks off the drug it is unlikely any doctor would medicate you for this, rather would advise just putting up with it until it gradually subsides, which it will...especially since an inability to tolerate even brief physical or mental discomfort is a common charcteristic among addicts and one that often  underlies the development of an addiction.

I think you would do far better to seek psychological help for your anxiety and other psychological issues. If you do not, it is only a matter of time before another addiction takes the place of the old one.

Thanks for replying. This is addiction by mistake rather than choice, and my first drug addiction. Its very dreary and difficult, but if I can shake it, that will be the end of this kind of thing for me.

My plan is to see a Bumrungrad doctor to help me end the withdrawal, which still seems very alive. It would help to get a referral there for someone there with experience at this particular problem.

Thanks for your help as always. I understand your concerns, but it isn't me. The addiction/withdrawal has really distorted my thinking and expression here and I regret that.

I really feel Shery

15 minutes ago, dblaisde said:

Thanks for replying. This is addiction by mistake rather than choice, and my first drug addiction. Its very dreary and difficult, but if I can shake it, that will be the end of this kind of thing for me.

My plan is to see a Bumrungrad doctor to help me end the withdrawal, which still seems very alive. It would help to get a referral there for someone there with experience at this particular problem.

Thanks for your help as always. I understand your concerns, but it isn't me. The addiction/withdrawal has really distorted my thinking and expression here and I regret that.

I really feel Sheryl is correct in this instance.

I do understand your situation since I tend to suffer anxiety/agitation too.  But I really think the tramadol merely masked a general condition that you may temporarily be suffering from.  A doctor might decide the best thing is a short course of mild sedatives taken before bedtime.

It is probably better to listen to Sheryl because when we are in such a state, it is very difficult to think straight.

There is only one doctor at Bumrungrad specializing in addiction psychiatry and you have already been referred to him.

There are some others at Manoram Hospital, if you point your mouse on "Addivtion Psyhiatry" on this page you will see the names. I don't have any basis for recommending one over the other.  http://www.manarom.com/search_eng.html

Best to you. Seems like Tramadol is on the lower end of the Opioid strength meter, and it is unfortunate your situation. I take Tramadol 50mg 1 to 2x as needed for Psoriatic Arthritis and lower back (nerve pain) for years and it works well. May be I don't have an addictive personality since I can be off it for days with no ill effects. I can also drink coffee at night before bed. (smiley face)

Posted from Android using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, steven2018 said:

Best to you. Seems like Tramadol is on the lower end of the Opioid strength meter, and it is unfortunate your situation. I take Tramadol 50mg 1 to 2x as needed for Psoriatic Arthritis and lower back (nerve pain) for years and it works well. May be I don't have an addictive personality since I can be off it for days with no ill effects. I can also drink coffee at night before bed. (smiley face)

Posted from Android using Tapatalk

I get rather attached to things very easily, but was surprised to hear of tramadol addiction, especially on a small prescription.  The addiction is surely nothing on a scale with nicotine for instance.  For me, tramadol has a calming effect and I no longer think too much about problems or the future.

Archived