Travel insurance SOS!!

thecolonel

Travel insurance SOS!

I urgently need travel insurance for next 6 months in Hua hin as I have been shafted by my current insurer.

Anyone know any companies here or UK etc who deal with people who have already travelled?

Thanks in anticipation

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

I used these a few years ago. They were quite helpful with good, quick communication (on weekdays, at least). Not sure if there's a direct link on the webpage to follow, you might have to email them directly.

http://www.coeconnections.co.uk/

I've also got a vague memory of using https://www.duinsure.com/travel_insurance at some point. Again, doesn't seem to be a direct link on the page, but should be able to answer if you email them.

Edited by sellingmystuff

I always use Chubb travel insurance, easy to find their Bkk website; friendly focused staff always give clear answers covering everything, excellent English.

They alerted me, a few years ago to be very careful to ensure any travel insurance you take does include medical cover (if you want it of course). They say many folks don't realize that the policies they take have no medical cover. 

Thanks for all replies, the key here is that I have already started travelling and most won't do that but I now know the two Steve mention(true Traveller and Nomads) do specifically accommodate that, but will try the other too! thanks again [emoji106]

Ok for anyone who is interested in this subject...
I chose an insurer that I had successfully claimed off before
But they have just shafted me in the most despicable manner
In short they asked have you been living in the UK for 6 months? As I have been living there all my life I said yes! Ie I wasnt new to the UK or had emigrated and just returned.
They are now stating that what that question means is 'have you spent more than 6 of the last 12 months out of the UK? And if they had put it like that I would have answered yes! Bottom line that have refused to pay a £1300 bill from Bkk HH Hospital (I'm never going there again! ) AND on top of that they have announced my policy is void. I will be taking action against them etc etc but I'm now 'stranded' so to speak without insurance.

So be careful with these snakes in the grass insurers who ask you ambiguous questions then shaft you when you get them wrong!

Thanks all

1 hour ago, thecolonel said:

Ok for anyone who is interested in this subject...
I chose an insurer that I had successfully claimed off before
In short they asked have you been living in the UK for 6 months? As I have been living there all my life I said yes! Ie I wasnt new to the UK or had emigrated and just returned.
They are now stating that what that question means is 'have you spent more than 6 of the last 12 months out of the UK? And if they had put it like that I would have answered yes! Bottom line that have refused to pay a £1300 bill from Bkk HH Hospital (I'm never going there again! ) AND on top of that they have announced my policy is void. I will be taking action against them etc etc but I'm now 'stranded' so to speak without insurance.

So be careful with these snakes in the grass insurers who ask you ambiguous questions then shaft you when you get them wrong!

Thanks all

So who are they ? name and shame them!

Ok for anyone who is interested in this subject...I chose an insurer that I had successfully claimed off before

Thanks all

To be fair that 180 days / 6 months rule is pretty standard, it will be in the policy doc, i recently checked loads before buying mine. Loads of people haven't got a clue about that I'm sure.

If you find an insurer that allows less than 6 months let us know, i couldn't find any

and to be fair to you i dont doubt what youre saying(now) but to be equally fair it would be nice if they asked the question in plain clear English and not a stupid confusing way which caused me to give the 'wrong' answer. JUst ask ...have you spent more than 6 of the last 12 months out of the UK? What could be plainer than that ? but they asked me have you  lived in the UK for 6 months?(answer Yes! all of my life actually) Idiots!

and to be fair to you i dont doubt what youre saying(now) but to be equally fair it would be nice if they asked the question in plain clear English and not a stupid confusing way which caused me to give the 'wrong' answer. JUst ask ...have you spent more than 6 of the last 12 months out of the UK? What could be plainer than that ? but they asked me have you  lived in the UK for 6 months?(answer Yes! all of my life actually) Idiots!
If that's the case, you/they should go back to the recording. If they did say that its misleading and you may win in a small claims court.

Interestingly my mate just got insurance, i said to him to check about 6 months, he said he hadn't been in the uk for 6 months, they said its ok you don't need to be. The ops haven't got a clue really and its a good get out clause

I don't suppose you could find out who he actually bought the policy off ie the broker I guess (not necessarily who his insurer company as such is)

I'll ask him but i suspect the policy doc says 6 months, and he'll have issues if he needs to claim

But yes I have challenged them to listen to the recordings etc and await reply, whilst the policy may still be invalid then at least I'm due a full refund of premium , the hospital bill refunded plus a bit of compensation for the aggro!

But yes I have challenged them to listen to the recordings etc and await reply, whilst the policy may still be invalid then at least I'm due a full refund of premium , the hospital bill refunded plus a bit of compensation for the aggro!

If you've got home insurance usually it has legal cover, give them a call for free advice, I'm thinking if they sold the insurance on that basis they may have to stand by it

Ah good topic I’m in same situation normally sortbtravel insurance on way to airport,,,true traveller the first link supplied is coming in at 363 gbp for me including off road motor cycling,,,will look into this more tommorow that’s for cover till 31 may18

That's a very useful comparison thanks. As I'm looking from now till 22 June but I'm not doing any dangerous sports. I spoke with True Traveller on Friday and they need to ask me further questions regarding my aging body parts! Do you mind me asking how old you are as that would again be useful to compare? I'm 55 and just play golf.... (sold my VFR 750 15 yrs ago!) cheers

I’m 45 no health problems,I added the top adventure pack on to cover the motorcycling(363 gbp),if I have standard policy quote was 253gbp..still got to look into it a bit more,,,,none of them cover you for motorcycle touring or if motorcycle is your main form of transport.

I’m 45 no health problems,I added the top adventure pack on to cover the motorcycling(363 gbp),if I have standard policy quote was 253gbp..still got to look into it a bit more,,,,none of them cover you for motorcycle touring or if motorcycle is your main form of transport.
I'm 47 and my 8 months insurance was £115. Incl bikes to 125cc. moneysupermarket.com you can add on extras like bigger bikes

Make sure you answer truthfully on the application form for the new insurer that a previous claim has been denied and the policy declared void. If you're not truthful about that, that would be a reason to deny a claim on the new policy.

I'm 47 and my 8 months insurance was £115. Incl bikes to 125cc. moneysupermarket.com you can add on extras like bigger bikes
Fyi moneysupermarket doesnt work for me on this occasion as I have already travelled.

My dilemma is...
1. I have already travelled
2. I need cover for nearly 7 months
3. I have medical some medical conditions but I would waive those if necessary
4. I have a denied claim & a void policy with another insurer, albeit I'm contesting that!

I'm waiting to hear back from True Traveller and 1 other. Thanks all

Fyi moneysupermarket doesnt work for me on this occasion as I have already travelled.

My dilemma is...
1. I have already travelled
2. I need cover for nearly 7 months
3. I have medical some medical conditions but I would waive those if necessary
4. I have a denied claim & a void policy with another insurer, albeit I'm contesting that!

I'm waiting to hear back from True Traveller and 1 other. Thanks all

Try worldnomads, they may cover less than 6 months, it wasn't specified in their policy doc when i checked it

Worldnomads worked out for me in a similar situation in the past. If you're not in super rush, go to their website and get an initial quote. Don't accept. As the start date entered approaches, you'll receive a not too shabby discount voucher (by email) for the same offer, possibly a bit more when nearing holidays.

I hit the 6 month issue back in 2011. I called up when i was next travelling, and asked if i could still get cover if i had not been in the UK for 6 months. Policy came back exactly the same as before, with the 6 month rule. Do not rust anything they tell you. Also, back in 2010, i was caught up in the Swampy closure, the insurance refused to pay for that classing it as 'civil insurrection'. Also wouldn't pay for emergency dental work. Basicly all insurers are c***s. Since 2011, haven't bothered with travel insurance and saved myself a packet.

I hit the 6 month issue back in 2011. I called up when i was next travelling, and asked if i could still get cover if i had not been in the UK for 6 months. Policy came back exactly the same as before, with the 6 month rule. Do not rust anything they tell you. Also, back in 2010, i was caught up in the Swampy closure, the insurance refused to pay for that classing it as 'civil insurrection'. Also wouldn't pay for emergency dental work. Basicly all insurers are c***s. Since 2011, haven't bothered with travel insurance and saved myself a packet.
I feel your pain Bro, I really do!