December 3, 20178 yr I see many 'fast and furious' style souped up cars in Thailand. Cars that have obviously had lots of money spent on exterior styling and engine/exhaust mods. Trouble is most are tiny little Jazz/Vios type cars where the standard engine is powerless 1.1 liter engine. Soup it up all you like, it's stll a gutless car and that fin on the back aint going to help keep the rear wheels pinned to the road at high speeds. Plus the are all front wheel drive making the fin pointless. What's the point? You might as well put go faster stripes on your washing machine OR spend all that $$$ on a car with a bigger engine in the first place. Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk
December 3, 20178 yr I don't think there's anything unusual about this. It's just a phase that many of us would've gone through in our much younger life. I guess the young Thai guys are no different really. A time when your car and your hot girlfriend were the 2 most important things in life.
December 3, 20178 yr I think its more about attracting girls or impressing your friends, than increasing horsepower. You could argue the merits of alloy rims on any car, its more a cosmetic thing rather than a performance thing. Edited December 3, 20178 yr by Peterw42
December 3, 20178 yr It is a hobby, bit like folk wearing what they think is trendy cloths, or sunglasses at night to look cool.. When l was a kid I did loads of stuff to any ride l had, whether a Vespa, Honda m/cycle, Mini Cooper and much later my Pontiac. Must add I never grew out of that phase, well not until l moved to LOS. I even lowered the roof of my Mini Cooper 4 inches, why, cos l wanted too...
December 3, 20178 yr Author I think its more about attracting girls or impressing your friends, than increasing horsepower. You could argue the merits of alloy rims on any car, its more a cosmetic thing rather than a performance thing.I dont think it impresses women. Only other men.If you go to CDC on a weekend evening, you'll see them all lined up with their hoods up. Lots of engine mods, roll bars, suspension stiffners 100's of thousand spent on some of these cars - yet you can still pass them on a bicycle...I know on guy that claims to have the fastest Honda Jazz in Thailand...Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk
December 3, 20178 yr Ego, identification with form, this is the 'me' ( it isn't but if you are unaware it doesn't matter)
December 3, 20178 yr Tolerance is a proof of probably having great heart but certainly of personal evolution, intolerance is characteristic of stunted spirits
December 3, 20178 yr 2 hours ago, electric said: I don't think there's anything unusual about this. It's just a phase that many of us would've gone through in our much younger life. I guess the young Thai guys are no different really. A time when your car and your hot girlfriend were the 2 most important things in life. Definitely in that order.
December 3, 20178 yr Do they not add a turbo or anything like they do with their pick up trucks? I have a standard honda spoiler on the back of my eco car but that's because my car looks butt ugly without it. I agree there is no performance enhancement in it at all
December 3, 20178 yr 1 minute ago, alien365 said: Do they not add a turbo or anything like they do with their pick up trucks? I have a standard honda spoiler on the back of my eco car but that's because my car looks butt ugly without it. I agree there is no performance enhancement in it at all Diesel trucks come standard with turbo's....
December 3, 20178 yr 3 hours ago, Dagnabbit said: Trouble is most are tiny little Jazz/Vios type cars where the standard engine is powerless 1.1 liter engine. There 1.5 engines and don't hang about, our Yaris 1.5 was trick up a bit and went round corners like on rails, front wheel drive cars or 4WD is very much better road holding than rear drive IMO. F1 engines are only 1.6 so don't see what your point is.
December 3, 20178 yr 3 minutes ago, transam said: Diesel trucks come standard with turbo's.... I thought they added bigger turbos, air intakes, racing chips etc. Personally if I wanted a fast car here I'd go for a rallycross car. I love that modified polo that James may drove on top gear a few years ago. 0-100kph in 1.9seconds. No point getting a supercar as they wouldn't be able to handle the road conditions
December 3, 20178 yr 13 minutes ago, transam said: Diesel trucks come standard with turbo's.... Yeah and the new designed 4 pot 1.9 turbo Isuzu diesel goes to 170 kph at a very reasonable rate of knots.
December 3, 20178 yr 17 minutes ago, Cake Monster said: Defined in just 1 word - " Face " It is nice to use this word face because it distinguishes it as different from pride or ego or the other posts above that got it right. It is 99% guys who want to do this stuff to their car cause they enjoy it, are proud of their expertise, proud of the way it looks. And think it attracts girls which I think it definitely does. What's the big deal? For me? Noise. I hate the super loud mufflers. When I was younger and lived in a place cars were not freakishly expensive I bought a new Audi and loved the looks it got. I got nice rims and chipped it to juice horsepower +20 Face? You can call it that if you want to feel superior and egalitarian. But I had tonsoffun ripping up curves on open roads in that Audi.
December 3, 20178 yr Mostly a waste of money as far as I'm concerned but I don't see anything wrong with making your car look a bit different from the rest of the masses. I find my (grey) car quickly because I attached a ribbon to the aerial. That's enough individualism for me. (Nobody else does it).
December 3, 20178 yr Author Tolerance is a proof of probably having great heart but certainly of personal evolution, intolerance is characteristic of stunted spirits [emoji2]Good Lord, even the Dalai Lama is pitching into this discussion...Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk
December 3, 20178 yr Author There 1.5 engines and don't hang about, our Yaris 1.5 was trick up a bit and went round corners like on rails, front wheel drive cars or 4WD is very much better road holding than rear drive IMO. F1 engines are only 1.6 so don't see what your point is. [emoji3] Given you just compared a Honda Sh1tbox with an F1 car, I think we'll just mark you down as 'no opinion'Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk
December 3, 20178 yr Author Small d*ck syndrome Yes but souping up a car with such a small engine is like having a 1mm penis extension.Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk
December 3, 20178 yr 14 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said: Good Lord, even the Dalai Lama is pitching into this discussion... Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk The Dalai Lama would confirm those tolerant people are probably happier in their dailies than all those persons who criticize everything from morning to night.
December 3, 20178 yr 57 minutes ago, alien365 said: I thought they added bigger turbos, air intakes, racing chips etc. Personally if I wanted a fast car here I'd go for a rallycross car. I love that modified polo that James may drove on top gear a few years ago. 0-100kph in 1.9seconds. No point getting a supercar as they wouldn't be able to handle the road conditions For sure if one wants extra grunt. I chipped the Vigo, it was a very good add on for that overtaking stuff....Sadly it packed up after about 3 years.. But the old ride has no go faster stripes...
December 3, 20178 yr 27 minutes ago, Knocker33 said: Small d*ck syndrome I do wonder why folk like yourself make a comment like that relating to folk having fun with 2 or 4 wheels....
December 3, 20178 yr 39 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said: Yes but souping up a car with such a small engine is like having a 1mm penis extension. Honda. 1.7L 550HP Tell me this ain't fun
December 3, 20178 yr 4 hours ago, electric said: I don't think there's anything unusual about this. It's just a phase that many of us would've gone through in our much younger life. I guess the young Thai guys are no different really. A time when your car and your hot girlfriend were the 2 most important things in life. Yep - my first car was a "souped" up Mini which me, my dad and a mate worked really hard on. But it was still a 850 engine, with a crap gear box and a floor made from fabricated quarter steel plates! My friend had a sheet metal fabrication business and as well as making the floor plates he painted them red lead 555! I think lots of young people through the generations do similar.
December 3, 20178 yr 46 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said: Yes but souping up a car with such a small engine is like having a 1mm penis extension. Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk Wow, that would double it for you! Edited December 3, 20178 yr by Baerboxer
December 3, 20178 yr 1 hour ago, alien365 said: No point getting a supercar as they wouldn't be able to handle the road conditions Why do some people say such ridiculously false things like that? For the most part, Thailand's roads are no worse than any other countries' roads and the cars you refer to are built to be used on the road anywhere. They are no less able to "handle the road conditions" than any other type of car. That's one reason why there is a big market for supercars in Thailand. Edited December 3, 20178 yr by Just Weird
December 3, 20178 yr 1 minute ago, Just Weird said: Why do some people say such false things like that? For the most part, Thailand's roads are no worse than any other countries' roads and the cars you refer to are built to be used on the road anywhere, they are no less able to "handle the road conditions" than any other type pf car. That's one reason why there is a big market for supercars in Thailand! Rubbish....
December 3, 20178 yr Just now, transam said: Rubbish.... Unusual for you to be so irrational. What specific part of my comment was rubbish, in your opinion?
Create an account or sign in to comment