What's the point?

Dagnabbit

I see many 'fast and furious' style souped up cars in Thailand. Cars that have obviously had lots of money spent on exterior styling and engine/exhaust mods.

Trouble is most are tiny little Jazz/Vios type cars where the standard engine is powerless 1.1 liter engine. Soup it up all you like, it's stll a gutless car and that fin on the back aint going to help keep the rear wheels pinned to the road at high speeds. Plus the are all front wheel drive making the fin pointless.

What's the point? You might as well put go faster stripes on your washing machine OR spend all that $$$ on a car with a bigger engine in the first place.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's anything unusual about this. It's just a phase that many of us would've gone through in our much younger life. I guess the young Thai guys are no different really.

A time when your car and your hot girlfriend were the 2 most important things in life.

I think its more about attracting girls or impressing your friends, than increasing horsepower. You could argue the merits of alloy rims on any car, its more a cosmetic thing rather than a performance thing.

Edited by Peterw42

It is a hobby, bit like folk wearing what they think is trendy cloths, or sunglasses at night to look cool..

When l was a kid I did loads of stuff to any ride l had, whether a Vespa, Honda m/cycle, Mini Cooper and much later my Pontiac.

Must add I never grew out of that phase, well not until l moved to LOS. I even lowered the roof of my Mini Cooper 4 inches, why, cos l wanted too...:stoner:

I think its more about attracting girls or impressing your friends, than increasing horsepower. You could argue the merits of alloy rims on any car, its more a cosmetic thing rather than a performance thing.
I dont think it impresses women. Only other men.

If you go to CDC on a weekend evening, you'll see them all lined up with their hoods up. Lots of engine mods, roll bars, suspension stiffners 100's of thousand spent on some of these cars - yet you can still pass them on a bicycle...

I know on guy that claims to have the fastest Honda Jazz in Thailand...

2 hours ago, electric said:

I don't think there's anything unusual about this. It's just a phase that many of us would've gone through in our much younger life. I guess the young Thai guys are no different really.

A time when your car and your hot girlfriend were the 2 most important things in life.

Definitely in that order.

Do they not add a turbo or anything like they do with their pick up trucks? I have a standard honda spoiler on the back of my eco car but that's because my car looks butt ugly without it. I agree there is no performance enhancement in it at all

1 minute ago, alien365 said:

Do they not add a turbo or anything like they do with their pick up trucks? I have a standard honda spoiler on the back of my eco car but that's because my car looks butt ugly without it. I agree there is no performance enhancement in it at all

Diesel trucks come standard with turbo's....:stoner:

3 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Trouble is most are tiny little Jazz/Vios type cars where the standard engine is powerless 1.1 liter engine.

There 1.5 engines and don't hang about, our Yaris 1.5 was trick up a bit and went round corners like on rails, front wheel drive cars or 4WD is very much better road holding than rear drive IMO.

F1 engines are only 1.6 so don't see what your point is. :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Diesel trucks come standard with turbo's....:stoner:

I thought they added bigger turbos, air intakes, racing chips etc. 

Personally if I wanted a fast car here I'd go for a rallycross car. I love that modified polo that James may drove on top gear a few years ago. 0-100kph in 1.9seconds. No point getting a supercar as they wouldn't be able to handle the road conditions

17 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Defined in just 1 word - " Face "

It is nice to use this word face because it distinguishes it as different from pride or ego or the other posts above that got it right.  

It is 99% guys who want to do this stuff to their car cause they enjoy it, are proud of their expertise, proud of the way it looks.  And think it attracts girls which I think it definitely does.  

What's the big deal? 

For me? 

Noise.  I hate the super loud mufflers.  

When I was younger and lived in a place cars were not freakishly expensive I bought a new Audi and loved the looks it got.  I got nice rims and chipped it to juice horsepower +20

Face?  You can call it that if you want to feel superior and egalitarian.  But I had tonsoffun ripping up curves on open roads in that Audi.  

Mostly a waste of money as far as I'm concerned but I don't see anything wrong with making your car look a bit different from the rest of the masses.

I find my (grey) car quickly because I attached a ribbon to the aerial. That's enough individualism for me. (Nobody else does it).

Tolerance is a proof of probably having  great heart but certainly of personal evolution, intolerance is characteristic of stunted spirits [emoji2]
Good Lord, even the Dalai Lama is pitching into this discussion...

There 1.5 engines and don't hang about, our Yaris 1.5 was trick up a bit and went round corners like on rails, front wheel drive cars or 4WD is very much better road holding than rear drive IMO.
F1 engines are only 1.6 so don't see what your point is. [emoji3]

Given you just compared a Honda Sh1tbox with an F1 car, I think we'll just mark you down as 'no opinion'

14 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

Good Lord, even the Dalai Lama is pitching into this discussion...

The Dalai Lama would confirm those tolerant people are probably happier in their dailies than all those persons who criticize everything from morning to night.:biggrin:

57 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I thought they added bigger turbos, air intakes, racing chips etc. 

Personally if I wanted a fast car here I'd go for a rallycross car. I love that modified polo that James may drove on top gear a few years ago. 0-100kph in 1.9seconds. No point getting a supercar as they wouldn't be able to handle the road conditions

For sure if one wants extra grunt. I chipped the Vigo, it was a very good add on for that overtaking stuff....Sadly it packed up after about 3 years..:sad:

But the old ride has no go faster stripes...:stoner:

4 hours ago, electric said:

Yep - my first car was a "souped" up Mini which me, my dad and a mate worked really hard on. But it was still a 850 engine, with a crap gear box and a floor made from fabricated quarter steel plates! My friend had a sheet metal fabrication business and as well as making the floor plates he painted them red lead 555!

I think lots of young people through the generations do similar.

46 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

Yes but souping up a car with such a small engine is like having a 1mm penis extension.

Wow, that would double it for you! :cheesy:

Edited by Baerboxer

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

No point getting a supercar as they wouldn't be able to handle the road conditions

Why do some people say such ridiculously false things like that? 

For the most part, Thailand's roads are no worse than any other countries' roads and the cars you refer to are built to be used on the road anywhere.  They are no less able to "handle the road conditions" than any other type of car.  That's one reason why there is a big market for supercars in Thailand.

Edited by Just Weird

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Why do some people say such false things like that? 

For the most part, Thailand's roads are no worse than any other countries' roads and the cars you refer to are built to be used on the road anywhere, they are no less able to "handle the road conditions" than any other type pf car.  That's one reason why there is a big market for supercars in Thailand!

Rubbish....