What's the point?

Dagnabbit

Thanks transam for responding in my absence. In my standard car I  have problems with speed bumps, potholes, opening doors when parked next to pavements, flooding, debris on the road, ruined roads from overloaded trucks. All these problems would be compounded for supercars. My current car has been bruised from driving to several cities over Thailand. Of 10 years driving all over the UK the only problem I had with the road was breaking the suspension on my 1.5yaris as I admittedly drove way  too quickly over a speed bump that I thought was just a fake drawn on the road. I've never seen huge potholes on main highways as you do here randomly along phet kasem.

Back to the topic though, I like how people do their cars up to make them look faster. What I can't stand though are the playboy stickers, eyelashes on headlights and those silly wind up toy like things.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

image.thumb.jpeg.454b8509eecba9b2f7bc29b959ecd98c.jpeg

At 73 I would love to get this baby over here but the speed humps, potholes, corners in the Mubarn would be a problem so I just have to leave it with my son in Australia

If you drove that over the wrong bridge it would turn in to an excellent see-saw too ;)

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I had a 1962 mini cooper S and I put a 3/4 cam in it with a stage 4 crossflow head and quad SU's and that thing was a rocket but boy did it hold the road. I never got around to fitting a turbo to it though

I would not like to drive it around Thailand because I would either get stuck on the speed bumps or lose it in some of the potholes

Showing my age here? I had a Downton 1293 Austin Cooper S, bought 2nd hand. I only remember numbers like 731 and 544 for cams. Now they have things called Scatter cams . Lost on me.

Mine, a '67,  used to pull 7800 rpm in top gear on a Smiths 8000 tach with no red line. 

I was happy with it. 

Edited by VocalNeal

19 minutes ago, alien365 said:

If you drove that over the wrong bridge it would turn in to an excellent see-saw too ;)

The big problem would be if I got stuck on a speed hump or bridge that lifted the weight off the wheels it would probably break in half because of the weight in the engine and in the boot. The boot has an extra battery, 3 600 watt amplifiers, 2 800 watt sub woofers two fog generators and the master entertainment system there is no room for luggage. Inside the car is a small table that houses a disco light that operates to the music, two outlets for the fog machine, 8 speakers, disco snake lights around the edge of the roof inside, 2 9" tv's. Under the car is a complete disco light snake that goes around that edge of the floor with 4 speakers operated by a separate sound system to the one inside the car plus 2 outlets from the other fog machine. the driving department is all sound proofed but you can still hear everything. All the controls are in easy reach while you drive around. Now I'm getting homesick

8 hours ago, Cranky said:

And that's why there are bodies all over the place.  Moronic design that ables a cheap truck do 200 KPH with a chassis and brakes suited to maximum of 120. 

Sorry but you don't sound like you are an engineer so you would only have understanding of a health and safety deleted.:laugh:

3 hours ago, Russell17au said:

The big problem would be if I got stuck on a speed hump or bridge that lifted the weight off the wheels it would probably break in half because of the weight in the engine and in the boot. The boot has an extra battery, 3 600 watt amplifiers, 2 800 watt sub woofers two fog generators and the master entertainment system there is no room for luggage. Inside the car is a small table that houses a disco light that operates to the music, two outlets for the fog machine, 8 speakers, disco snake lights around the edge of the roof inside, 2 9" tv's. Under the car is a complete disco light snake that goes around that edge of the floor with 4 speakers operated by a separate sound system to the one inside the car plus 2 outlets from the other fog machine. the driving department is all sound proofed but you can still hear everything. All the controls are in easy reach while you drive around. Now I'm getting homesick

I hope there's still some room for you and the ladies inside after all that kitting out! On thing you haven't mentioned though, does it have a beer fridge for your mates?

19 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I think its more about attracting girls or impressing your friends, than increasing horsepower. You could argue the merits of alloy rims on any car, its more a cosmetic thing rather than a performance thing.

:thumbsup: I think you are dead right, but some owners are older. I saw a 15 year old BMW 523 today with four exhaust pipes and I see the same sort of stuff every day.

Where I live there seems to be a custom car club, with dozens of old hatchbacks fitted with huge or multiple exhausts. They make a lot of noise, but I've never seen one accelerate quickly.

You also get the diesel pick-ups etc with the boom buster sound system that rattles my windows when they go past.

It isn't just here, have a week in Essex in the UK, but 90% go as well as they make noise not like most in this country.

Thais do love cars - even though most can't drive to save their own or anyone else's lives...

:burp:

Look at the front of my fun car, l had it for over twenty years and only had one problem with a high manhole cover in the road, didn't break anything but took a bit off the oil pan drain plug. Following weekend I welded a length of 2 inch angle to the cross member so that would hit stuff first and chuck the car up a bit for the split second the sump was clear, worked great.

That car would have been near useless to drive in the part of LOS where l live...

picasabackground-005.jpg.db8f00c1761e3b18fe58bd927ad42498.jpg

1 hour ago, transam said:

Look at the front of my fun car, l had it for over twenty years and only had one problem with a high manhole cover in the road, didn't break anything but took a bit off the oil pan drain plug. Following weekend I welded a length of 2 inch angle to the cross member so that would hit stuff first and chuck the car up a bit for the split second the sump was clear, worked great.

That car would have been near useless to drive in the part of LOS where l live...

picasabackground-005.jpg.db8f00c1761e3b18fe58bd927ad42498.jpg

455 6.6

Hard to tell but the carb looks like a holly double pumper

21 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Why do some people say such ridiculously false things like that? 

For the most part, Thailand's roads are no worse than any other countries' roads and the cars you refer to are built to be used on the road anywhere.  They are no less able to "handle the road conditions" than any other type of car.  That's one reason why there is a big market for supercars in Thailand.

Most of the crashes are caused by to much car and not enough driver

20 hours ago, alien365 said:

I hope there's still some room for you and the ladies inside after all that kitting out! On thing you haven't mentioned though, does it have a beer fridge for your mates?

No, but it does have a wine and champagne cooler for the ladies, you blokes can supply me with the cold beers

The excessively loud mufflers is all thats an issue really,

and unfortunately it seems to be the new fade lately.

Especially so with the motorcycles.

All the other modifications are just directed as a hobby, 

one might consider.

Which is a constructive way for the youth to spend their free time, 

and money...

Just chatting to myself here....But something to read because l miss that car so much...

The original 1976 6.6 block broke after upping the HP in it, really wanted to find a replacement 455ci (7.5) they are exactly the same dimensions except the crank main bearings are  3.25, 400 were 3.0 and to put serious HP in the 455 really needed to have 4 bolt main bearing caps, finding one was near impossible in the UK, where as you can put HP in the 400 2 bolt block using ARP studs, so l found a good 1971 block and bored it out to 413. That engine with all the mods would rev to 6800rpm with no ploblem, a real screamer...:thumbsup: ...

Well that wee chat perked me up a bit....classic-guitar-smiley-emoticon.gif.6d8c8c68f60b34a02c0694dbd4f12171.gif