PM donates money, thanks Toon for doing good deeds for the country

webfact

PM donates money, thanks Toon for doing good deeds for the country

By Thai PBS

toon21.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha made personal donations to Artiwara “Toon” Kongmalai’s charity run project and thanked him for doing good deed for the country as the rocker called on the PM at the Government House Monday morning (Dec 4).

Gen Prayut also expressed concerns over Toon’s health condition and asked the medical team to take good care of him.

After a 15-minute meeting Toon disclosed that the prime minister has blessed him and his team success in the charity run.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-donates-money-thanks-toon-good-deeds-country/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-04

Toon Bodyslam stops to meet PM during 2,000km charity run

By Prae Sakaowan

cc.jpg

Photo: Kao/ Facebook

A month after starting his run at the southernmost point of Thailand, rock star “Toon Bodyslam” has reached Bangkok and met with Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha this morning.

Artiwara “Toon” Kongmalai brought his family to a meeting with Prayuth at the Government House today as Prayuth praised the singer for being a “citizen who does great for the nation.”

Toon, the lead singer of Bodyslam, is on a mission to run 2,000 kilometers from the southernmost to the northernmost point of Thailand and raise THB700 million (US$21 million) for 11 public hospitals.

Full story:  https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/toon-bodyslam-stops-meet-pm-2000km-charity-run/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok

Good for Toon. But dreadful form as per from Prayuth.

Piggybacking on a wholly noble enterprise is nauseating, especially so when any good deed that brings money to needy causes is negated when crooked ministers in the latest cabinet continue to sign off on exorbitantly overpriced or useless purchases (ie speed guns, tanks and submarines), putting the state in even more financially dire straits

Toon needs another day’s rest, will resume run Wednesday

By The Nation

68c5f14358ed82d59ef5f099d702c9cf.jpeg

Charity-run hero Artiwara “Toon” Kongmalai will take his doctors’ advice and have another day off to rest, resuming his cross-country campaign in Bangkok on Wednesday instead of Tuesday.

Toon arrived in the capital on Sunday and was scheduled to begin Day 33 of his fund-raising run at the King Power headquarters on Tuesday.

Instead, he will leave the King Power offices on Soi Rangnam on Wednesday sometime between 3 and 7am.

Website KaoKonLaKao.com reports that Toon has so far run on 27 days, covered just over 1,300 kilometres and received Bt451.567 million in donations for 11 hospitals.

Injuries to his legs have forced Toon to take several days off to recuperate, raising concerns that he might not be able to complete his planned run all the way from the southern border to Chiang Rai in the North.

Toon yesterday met Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha at the Government House.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30333141

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-04

"Toon disclosed that the prime minister has blessed him and his team success in the charity run."

Aha, so our unelected PM is a soothsayer as well as his skills in governing the country.

I suppose the phrase 'that blessed PM' might ring true with some...

Edited by bluesofa
misprit

PM joins hands with ‘Toon’, thanks him for support – and waffles on health care funding

By WASAMON AUDJARINT 
THE NATION

fc916e1c2a3ca3476778b13a71a5f620.jpeg

Rocker Artiwara “Toon” Kongmalai visits Government House yesterday to meet Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha to promote his epic charity run, which aims to raise Bt700 million for medical equipment to be supplied to 11 hospitals in need.

ROCK STAR Artiwara “Toon” Kongmalai yesterday visited Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha at Government House to promote his “Kao Kon La Kao” charity run.

While the epic run, which aims to raise funds to purchase medical equipment for 11 hospitals, is premised on Thailand’s chronic medical budget crisis, the ruling government has responded by repeatedly calling for donations to Artiwara’s project.

e5b47907a1b1bd8ab57cb77f153efbd5.jpg

Several government bodies, including Parliament, have run matching donation campaigns in support of Artiwara’s run while Prayut personally gave an undisclosed sum to the rocker yesterday. 

“The country faces many problems and you have come to help alleviate them,” Prayut said to the Bodyslam lead vocalist.

“The government already takes care of those hospitals. However, we have to admit that most of the budget goes to health insurance. That causes us considerable problems as we don’t have much money,” the premier said.

4d8a76df2fa469d8acaa7c12c84af4a7.jpg

“If we allocate too much money [to public health], that would affect other development,” he said.

He added that most hospitals use their budget to “fix infrastructure”, resulting in a lack of needed medical equipment.

Holding the singer’s hand, Prayut praised Artiwara for participating in the government-promoted schemes, from Thailand 4.0 to volunteering in tribute for the late King Rama IX. 

A debated issue related to the country’s insufficient health budget is the universal healthcare scheme, which for years has allowed low-income people nationwide to access low-cost or free health services. 

Developed by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s administration over a decade ago, universal healthcare has been so popular that every succeeding government, including the junta’s, has kept it alive.

f4f929ea0e98a54bb3787235c16975f2.jpg

While claiming there is not enough money to fund public healthcare, the military-installed government has been criticised for finding funds for substantial spending increases on security, in particular military hardware.

Meanwhile, the government has encouraged people to voluntarily donate to charities that keep essential programmes, such as healthcare, on life support.

Artiwara has so far completed 1,300.5 kilometres in his record-setting cross-country run, which started on November 1 in Yala. Military and police officers have provided him support along the way.

He made it to Bangkok on Sunday before taking two days off on medical advice. As of press time yesterday, donations had reached Bt530.72 million of the goal of Bt700 million. 

Civil servants at Government House swarmed the front of Command Building I, where the rocker and his parents met with the premier. Members of the media also flocked to the area to give Artiwara thousands of baht they had raised. 

“He [Prayut] gave us courage. He told me to take a rest and succeed in the mission,” the 38-year-old singer briefly said while making his way through the crowd.

“What we have gathered is greater than helping hospitals. We can unite the giving hearts of Thai people,” he reportedly said to Prayut. “We aim to gather a little money from many people rather than a lot of money from just a few people.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30333187

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-05

"PM joins hands with ‘Toon’, thanks him for support – and waffles on health care funding"

Interesting for The Nation to risk a slightly critical headline.

They'll be off the PM's Christmas card list.

I like the play on the words 'waffles on'.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayuth praised the singer for being a “citizen who does great for the nation.”

Looks like Prayut's found a role model at last . . . better than DT, hopefully. Be sure to watch his Bodyslam take-off on Friday's TV spectacular . . . should be worth watching, espec after a gallon of Chang, if you really want to show him how you feel :sick:

Edited by Ossy
meaning

18 hours ago, z42 said:

Good for Toon. But dreadful form as per from Prayuth.

Piggybacking on a wholly noble enterprise is nauseating, especially so when any good deed that brings money to needy causes is negated when crooked ministers in the latest cabinet continue to sign off on exorbitantly overpriced or useless purchases (ie speed guns, tanks and submarines), putting the state in even more financially dire straits

I'm sure you would do a much better job.  Classic.

I see there are still some class comments regarding Toon's epic run.

Where of course I understand everyone has their own viewpoint as to why someone would undertake such an ordeal (self-promotion, skimming from donations, travelling by car between towns & cities, etc) I would like to believe that the guy is Jai Dee, and instead of self-promotion, he is using his already acclaimed fame (in Thailand anyway) to further his cause. 

It takes a certain kind of person, at 38yo, with undivided commitment to even attempt this sort of thing, again, IMO.

As for him meeting with the PM in Bangkok, what was he expected to do, ignore him? Even from the PM's side, can you imagine the reaction if he didn't meet with Toon and make his donation? Not even worth thinking about.

For me, credit where credit is due would be my personal view.

Have you noticed there is no mention of the amount of money he donated. After all these years in power, he could have donated a billion baht, and it would have been like you or I buying a nice lunch. 

And that brings us to a more important subject. Charity within Thailand. Of all the richest families, who gives the most? And how much do they give? Have any super rich Thai families signed onto the Buffett/Gates pledge to give away 90% of their fortunes, to help mankind, within the course of their lifetimes? Do the super rich or so called "hi-so" do anything to benefit Thai society, or the planet? Is there any consciousness of the need to do so?

Three cheers for King Power Group and Mr T. One for the 100 million baht fund and the other for Universal health care. One without the other and the General wouldn't have had 15 minutes of fame.

Now if they would only straighten those pictures up at the back. Look as one might have been a rush job?

4 hours ago, chrisinth said:

I see there are still some class comments regarding Toon's epic run.

Where of course I understand everyone has their own viewpoint as to why someone would undertake such an ordeal (self-promotion, skimming from donations, travelling by car between towns & cities, etc) I would like to believe that the guy is Jai Dee, and instead of self-promotion, he is using his already acclaimed fame (in Thailand anyway) to further his cause. 

It takes a certain kind of person, at 38yo, with undivided commitment to even attempt this sort of thing, again, IMO.

As for him meeting with the PM in Bangkok, what was he expected to do, ignore him? Even from the PM's side, can you imagine the reaction if he didn't meet with Toon and make his donation? Not even worth thinking about.

For me, credit where credit is due would be my personal view.

Potato Farmer from Australia, he was abt 58 running from Sydney to Melbourne.

Cliff came to prominence again in 1997, aged 76, when he attempted to become the oldest man to run around Australia and raise money for homeless children.

Cliff completed 6,520km of the 16,000km run before he had to pull out after his only permanent crew member became ill. SMH 2003

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/03/1067708126175.html

On 12/5/2017 at 11:21 AM, spidermike007 said:

Have you noticed there is no mention of the amount of money he donated. After all these years in power, he could have donated a billion baht, and it would have been like you or I buying a nice lunch. 

And that brings us to a more important subject. Charity within Thailand. Of all the richest families, who gives the most? And how much do they give? Have any super rich Thai families signed onto the Buffett/Gates pledge to give away 90% of their fortunes, to help mankind, within the course of their lifetimes? Do the super rich or so called "hi-so" do anything to benefit Thai society, or the planet? Is there any consciousness of the need to do so?

Your Thai bashing is starting to "get me hard"  Just took some time to appreciate it.  :cheesy:

19 hours ago, djayz said:

Toon seems to be doing more for his country than those who were born with a silver spoon up their a***s are... good on him I say! 

Pass me a spoon, darling. No, not one of those . . . they can stay there, till he feels there's something not quite right. It could be a while, but let's watch him when he sits down. Great idea - those spoons - who thought of that?