60 day extension 'visit family'

A german national arrived in Thailand without visa - he got a 30 day visa exempt permission to stay at Suvarnabhumi airport.

He is married to a Thai. His wife lives in Chiang Mai, hence her tabien baan is from there. He intends to travel together with her for several weeks through Isaan and needs to apply for a 60 day extension based on 'married to a Thai national, visiting family'.

When applying he will be accompanied by his wife, her ID, tabien baan, his own passport and their marriage certificate.

Question: can he apply for this extension in any immigration office - for example in Udon or Ubon - or only in the province as stated in the tabien baan of his wife? Must he go to Chiang Mai for this application?

Edited by thedi

The 60 day extension must be applied for where he is staying. Immigration will ask for proof of residence when he applies for it.

It does not have to be for where his wife's house book registry is for.

He could possibley apply for the extension in Chiang Mai before starting his trip. They should allow him to apply for it a couple of weeks early or even more.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this topic.  If it is still open, I would like to know what I would need to obtain a 60 day extension from Chaeng Wattana. 

I have seen two documents for a mariage, one is a declaration that the two are married with a flowery border and the other seems to be a copy/photocopy of the registration at the amphur.  Will either do or do I need a specific one for the extension?

Thank you. 

9 minutes ago, thaibook said:

I have seen two documents for a mariage, one is a declaration that the two are married with a flowery border and the other seems to be a copy/photocopy of the registration at the amphur.  Will either do or do I need a specific one for the extension?

You only need the fancy marriage certificate (Kor Ror 3) you got when your registered your marriage.

The other one is a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry which you will not need to apply for the 60 day extension.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, jimster said:

What documents are required for the 60 day "visit wife" extension apart from the applicant's passport and the original marriage certificate?

Your wife needs to be with you. Copies of marriage certificate, copies of wife's house book registry and ID card.

• Like 1