How bad is the traffic on January 1st and 2nd?

FarangFB

I currently live in Pattaya (and have a car). I have a ceremony to attend in Krabi which would require me to go to Suvarnabhumi Airport on the 2nd and take a flight there. 

However, I am worried that the highway will be a complete nightmare because many people will be coming back from Pattaya. Is that so?

A backup possibility is going to Bangkok on the 1st, which would cost me an extra night in Bangkok but I wouldn't mind if it is going to relieve me of being stuck in traffic for hours on the 2nd.

Also, how busy will the airport be on the 2nd for domestic flights?

It won't be that bad.  Heavy, but OK.  Give yourself some extra time and you'll be fine.  I do believe the new tolls go into effect on the first.  If so, that should help out a lot, keeping the trucks off the highway.

The airport will be busy...just give yourself some extra time.  Worst case, you're there early enjoying a cup of coffee....or beer! LOL

The 2nd is another holiday in lieu of the 31st being a weekend.

Last time I travelled to the airport at the end of a holiday yes I did encounter delays about 5-6 km from the airport with returning Bangkok traffic, but it was late in the day.  If you are early in the day, I think you will be OK.

54 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The 2nd is another holiday in lieu of the 31st being a weekend.

Last time I travelled to the airport at the end of a holiday yes I did encounter delays about 5-6 km from the airport with returning Bangkok traffic, but it was late in the day.  If you are early in the day, I think you will be OK.

I agree. The time of day that your flight occurs will make a huge difference. Traffic is normally very light in Bangkok during long weekends, but does get pretty bad coming into Bangkok later in the day on the last day of the holiday when everyone returns. If your flight on the 2nd is in the morning or early afternoon, you shouldn't have much of a problem.