Norwegian man says Thai wife and policeman lover framed him and got him deported

Jonathan Fairfield

25 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

The Term "Buyer Beware" was not invented in Thailand. It actually comes from Latin. It applies anywhere in the World, and also not just in Thailand.

I am not sure where you comes from but I am sure that in my own country, and if you offer a big enough Pot of Gold, I could bride a Public Servant there to. I never tried it, but you would have to be pretty naive to think otherwise.

Having said that, as long as you have the Law on your side, I feel you will always stand a chance of winning.Perhaps finding a good honest lawyer here is the first important step. He doesn't need to be in Thailand to claim half of the property he owns with his wife.

If he can get this to court he has a fare chance of winning. But if he doesn't know this, or thinks he has no chance and gives up, then he will lose by default. If you don't show up for the game you still lose it.    

Caveat Emptor is I believe what you are referring to.  From my 13 year old latin class.  Mensa Mensa mensam etc,.  Do you live here or not?  If you spent time here you would have come across many stories of falangs in the right who failed to get true justice.  It also applies to poor Thais when fighting rich or connected people.  Yes, corruption happens everywhere including my "back home" country.  But certain countries put corruption and bribery onto a whole different level.  This is one of those places.  And when it comes to trying to right wrongs the risks of death are so much higher. There are many people who have died here while involved in litigation.  Yes you may have a chance in theory and pure law, but can cost 5,000 baht here or even less to have someone killed.  It all depends on how rich or well connected the people you are fighting here, are.    To succeed in getting justice here under some circumstances you may have to be rich, committed, careful, brave, AND LUCKY to live to benefit from your efforts.    Better to just leave the money at home if you would need to fight at all costs to win it back here.   Rule (1) (in several places above) applies.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

The Term "Buyer Beware" was not invented in Thailand. It actually comes from Latin. It applies anywhere in the World, and also not just in Thailand.

I am not sure where you comes from but I am sure that in my own country, and if you offer a big enough Pot of Gold, I could bride a Public Servant there to. I never tried it, but you would have to be pretty naive to think otherwise.

Having said that, as long as you have the Law on your side, I feel you will always stand a chance of winning.Perhaps finding a good honest lawyer here is the first important step. He doesn't need to be in Thailand to claim half of the property he owns with his wife.

If he can get this to court he has a fare chance of winning. But if he doesn't know this, or thinks he has no chance and gives up, then he will lose by default. If you don't show up for the game you still lose it.    

Caveat Emptor is I believe what you are referring to.  From my 13 year old latin class.  Mensa Mensa mensam etc,.  Do you live here or not?  If you spent time here you would have come across many stories of falangs in the right who failed to get true justice.  It also applies to poor Thais when fighting rich or connected people.  Yes, corruption happens everywhere including my "back home" country.  But certain countries put corruption and bribery onto a whole different level.  This is one of those places.  And when it comes to trying to right wrongs the risks of death are so much higher. There are many people who have died here while involved in litigation.  Yes you may have a chance in theory and pure law, but it can cost 5,000 baht here or even less, to have an opponent killed.  It all depends on how rich or well connected the people you are fighting here, are.    To succeed in getting justice here under some circumstances you may have to be rich, committed, careful, brave, AND LUCKY to live to benefit from your efforts.    Better to just leave the money at home if you would need to fight at all costs to win it back here.   Rule (1) (in several places above) applies.

Edited by The Deerhunter

2 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

5) The owner can’t borrow money or sell its property if a Usufruct is registered.

False. Even if you register a Usufruct Agreement on a title deed, the owner can sell his property to anyone. But in reality, nobody is interested in buying a property where they will have to maintain your right and won’t be able to use this property until you die. This is why a Usufruct is a good protection for you as it allows you to live there for the rest of your life, whatever happens. If you want this right to be passed to your heirs. It can also be done by a Lease Agreement it might be a better option depending on your case.

My point was you can't lose your rights to the property no matter what. Like you pointed out, and what I said.

Yes! I suppose legally they could sell the porperty, or apply for a Mortgage, but who in their right mind would want to buy it, if they can't use it or sell it for full value? Or give a a Money Loan on a property, where if you default on your payments they can't take this property back and sell it for the value of the Mortgage? That is like me advertising a Mercedes for sale at a rock bottom price,, and when you rush over to buy it all you see is th 4 tires and bottom frame. 

There may be times when the owner wants to sell this property for a good reason. Like perhaps they are old and want this land to go to a Thai Son or Daughter. So on paper sell it to them. But to make a profit and trying to screw you out of a Usufruct, is not one of those reasons.

9 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Caveat Emptor is I believe what you are referring to.  From my 13 year old latin class.  Mensa Mensa mensam etc,.  Do you live here or not?  If you spent time here you would have come across many stories of falangs in the right who failed to get true justice.  It also applies to poor Thais when fighting rich or connected people.  Yes, corruption happens everywhere including my "back home" country.  But certain countries put corruption and bribery onto a whole different level.  This is one of those places.  And when it comes to trying to right wrongs the risks of death are so much higher. There are many people who have died here while involved in litigation.  Yes you may have a chance in theory and pure law, but it can cost 5,000 baht here or even less, to have an opponent killed.  It all depends on how rich or well connected the people you are fighting here, are.    To succeed in getting justice here under some circumstances you may have to be rich, committed, careful, brave, AND LUCKY to live to benefit from your efforts.    Better to just leave the money at home if you would need to fight at all costs to win it back here.   Rule (1) (in several places above) applies.

Yes, I have lived in Thailand a long time. Also in many other countries. What I found is that when these countries pay there civil servant low wages, they are also more open into taking a bribe, 

No! No matter what he does this is not have an easy slam dunk and easy battle ahead of him. I said that already. I also said he could fight this from his home country, and not even be in Thailand. Making it far harder to bump him off if they dont know where he is living. 

I do not beleive that in your own country you have a equal chance of sueing someone rich like Bill Gates. You will run out of money and lawyers long before he would. But if this makes you feel better, I do agree with you that for this guy to win back his money, he will indeed have to be lucky to do this. To hold on long enough to do this also. 

6 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

My point was you can't lose your rights to the property no matter what. Like you pointed out, and what I said.

Yes! I suppose legally they could sell the porperty, or apply for a Mortgage, but who in their right mind would want to buy it, if they can't use it or sell it for full value? Or give a a Money Loan on a property, where if you default on your payments they can't take this property back and sell it for the value of the Mortgage? That is like me advertising a Mercedes for sale at a rock bottom price,, and when you rush over to buy it all you see is th 4 tires and bottom frame. 

There may be times when the owner wants to sell this property for a good reason. Like perhaps they are old and want this land to go to a Thai Son or Daughter. So on paper sell it to them. But to make a profit and trying to screw you out of a Usufruct, is not one of those reasons.

A loan to the wife of a farang for say 25% of the property value would be seen as reasonable business, perhaps by a relative if not a loan shark. After all the Farang would repay to keep the home yes?

Well as has been evidenced on this thread not all Farang are prepared to invest at random. Result...relative holds deed of house until it is repaid. Farang moves on. Wife cannot repay. Hence the empty 'farang style' houses that litter the countryside. Usufruct not really worth the effort. Just treat it as gift from the start.

If I was ever accused of anything like this.. I would give nothing to the police above 1.000 baht. 80.000 baht us the key to saying goodbye to much more cash. Take me to the police station.. Please check the gun for my fingerprints..I'll wait here in jail for a day or 2 until you get evidence. Simple enough.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, coulson said:

Hope she doesn't still get her Norwegian spouse pension.

Of course she will get her Norwegian spouse pension even if she doesn't know how to go about getting it those who had done before will teach her  and they get a commission from her, this is Thailand remember?

This is the result of loving Thai women. I am not condemning all Thai women but let's just say statistic shows that the likelihood of ending up with you at the loosing end is quite high. You will lose and lose and lose and finally you have nothing left.

Farangs want to play by the rules and do you think Thais play by the rules? Well, you will suffer when you finally found out they don't so better know now and be aware, totally aware so you could make a good decision.

This is no Thai bashing this is stating the facts, if this thing happen in Europe or Australia or Vietnam or Cambodia, I would have told the truth also , nothing to do with bashing

Edited by madusa
add more words

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

A loan to the wife of a farang for say 25% of the property value would be seen as reasonable business, perhaps by a relative if not a loan shark. After all the Farang would repay to keep the home yes?

Well as has been evidenced on this thread not all Farang are prepared to invest at random. Result...relative holds deed of house until it is repaid. Farang moves on. Wife cannot repay. Hence the empty 'farang style' houses that litter the countryside. Usufruct not really worth the effort. Just treat it as gift from the start.

I'm talking legally and within the norm. Not so fluke accident. Why would your wife sell to a loan shark for 25%. Mine wouldn't do that. But even if she did this doesn't mean you have to move. You still have a Usufruct. 

When you start talking about someone pointing a gun to your head, that is a totally different story. If you are at a ATM Machine at night time, making a cash withdraw,an and someone came up to you with a gun or knife, would you not give the money to him? But this does not make it legal or even likely.

But sure! The possibilty does exist. But to make it sound like an everyday occurance just tells me you don't know what Thailand is really like. Just reading the news, which like most news is bad news.  

15 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Moral of the story: Never buy land in Thailand (you don’t own it), never get married (girlfriend only) keep the bulk of your assets hidden in a safe country, and don’t show off money or assets (keep a low or no profile).

It's interesting to be told 'keep a low profile' and 'don't show your money or assets' by someone who calls himself AlexRich ...

13 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I'm talking legally and within the norm. Not so fluke accident. Why would your wife sell to a loan shark for 25%. Mine wouldn't do that. But even if she did this doesn't mean you have to move. You still have a Usufruct. 

When you start talking about someone pointing a gun to your head, that is a totally different story. If you are at a ATM Machine at night time, making a cash withdraw,an and someone came up to you with a gun or knife, would you not give the money to him? But this does not make it legal or even likely.

But sure! The possibilty does exist. But to make it sound like an everyday occurance just tells me you don't know what Thailand is really like. Just reading the news, which like most news is bad news.  

I know enough about Thailand and Thai people that I have never sought to 'protect' anything. I don't feel the need.

I do feel pity for those who cannot go into a relationship with confidence. Perhaps one of the factors in the failed unions?

Such as my friend who followed your advice......he is not living in the house he usufructed....it stands empty and is rapidly deteriorating

1 hour ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Think your a little nieve look up (Google) Brit Ian Rance or  (Irish) Colin Vard and see how they fared with the law in Thailand. Been years and nothing has happened after their wives screwed them over. Can check info on this site as well.

59 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

If I was ever accused of anything like this.. I would give nothing to the police above 1.000 baht. 80.000 baht us the key to saying goodbye to much more cash. Take me to the police station.. Please check the gun for my fingerprints..I'll wait here in jail for a day or 2 until you get evidence. Simple enough.

There have been reports of people  hanging  themselves or falling down steps and dying  when in Thai police custody. Good luck while waiting for evidence.

Back to the OP, he can't have lost 34 rai of land, as he's a foreigner and prohibited from owning land.

Nicking his car is a bit naughty though, but not a major loss.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

well its quiet easy to find a new love with 34 rais of land,

a merc and plenty of cash in the back....once the boy in blue spend it all on young ladys and sangthip madame gets dumped same like the norwegian...

what can media do about it .?..maybe the merc is on his name....the cash has no name but the land is to a 100000000% hers regardless of other arrangements that cant be followed cause the man is not allowed in and might not have big enough friends...

now they have a child together ...not a problem for a thai Lady to kick out the father and clear him out down to nothing...happy happy... mai pen rai...thai style, dont think too much....business as usual in LOS

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Rule #1:

Never bring anything into Thailand you are not prepared to lose.

Rule #2:

Never be worth more dead than alive.

Rule #3: (the most important)

Look all four directions before crossing a one way street. :cheesy:

perfect...all you need to follow in los and u are fine regardless what happenes

2 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

Why must the Mercedes have been in her name?

I'm sure it did not have to be registered in her name.   Probably registered it in her name more for convenience.    We have two cars (Hondas) and both are registered in my wife's name.

4 hours ago, micmichd said:

His son is his wife's son, too. He misused his son as a pawn in his game. And his son would probably prefer to stay in Thailand instead of v

cold Norway. 

How did he misuse his son? 

I know a couple of adopted kids that live in Norway. 

They love it. 

3 minutes ago, Spaniel said:

I'm sure it did not have to be registered in her name.   Probably registered it in her name more for convenience.    We have two cars (Hondas) and both are registered in my wife's name.

Why on earth is it more convenient?  bought a CRV in my name 2 months after coming here, no problem whatsoever..

15 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Moral of the story: Never buy land in Thailand (you don’t own it), never get married (girlfriend only) keep the bulk of your assets hidden in a safe country, and don’t show off money or assets (keep a low or no profile).

While there is reason in what you say about buying land; there are, of course, exceptions. Buying property in Thailand and registering it in the name of a Thai national you can trust seems prudent. Unfortunately, too many foreigners choose the wrong Thai woman, never get close enough to know their own children, and have no Thai they can trust. Hence, I suppose your second statement about marriage should also include children.

However, I do not share those fears of marriage and children; if you have the wherewithal to make the right choices. Consequently, I think you should remain single only if you do not want a life-partner and children or if you simply cannot be trusted to choose a good woman. Your criteria for selection of the proper woman is key to a successful relationship—and key to being able to choose what you want is having something to offer a woman other than money.  

Nonetheless, I do agree that you should keep your assets private and need not broadcast your wealth or show-off like a two-week millionaire.

8 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Why on earth is it more convenient?  bought a CRV in my name 2 months after coming here, no problem whatsoever..

What I meant by convenient is that when a falang purchases a vehicle  you have to get a letter from your embassy to complete the purchase whereas my wife just shows her ID card.      Plus whenever I pass away that will be one less item (car ownership) she will have to sort out.     Now if you are in a marriage with a Thai where their isn't much trust then registering the vehicle in your name would be the way to go.

10 minutes ago, Spaniel said:

What I meant by convenient is that when a falang purchases a vehicle  you have to get a letter from your embassy to complete the purchase whereas my wife just shows her ID card.      Plus whenever I pass away that will be one less item (car ownership) she will have to sort out.     Now if you are in a marriage with a Thai where their isn't much trust then registering the vehicle in your name would be the way to go.

Trust or Lover / Family 

Well the OP thought he had trust so there was no worry to worry about the rest (I guess he got that wrong )

Then theirs the Lover - Heard of many stories here & abroad (Guess what the Husbands usually the last one to know ), thats why it all comes down like a ton of bricks when it comes to the crunch

Then I'm sure as quite a few of us know there is the Family somewhere in the middle trying to get whatever they can by absolute force of cycological pressure

But I think the main thing at the end of the day it shall remain a Thais if you were to pass away (Ok you might still have your car if still around )