Video: When your number is up - it's up. Motorcyclist killed by loose truck wheel.

rooster59

The reporting on this death is good example of Thai attitude towards traffic safety (as pointed out in article last week where large percentage consider it karma, fate, luck... something beyond their control).

"When your number is up... it is up" No, this isn't waiting at immigration. So many mishaps here could be prevented. I won't use the word accident, unless you consider it "an accident waiting to happen".

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yes I'm for real.... She wasn't paying attention, as usual on the roads here !!

It in no way takes responsibility away from the truck company, just an observation.

agree that many are not situationally aware but the tire came laterally from the oncoming lane with divider island. not such an easy thing to notice

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

She is also a victim of the Thai lack of looking ahead...

At no point did she seem to even notice a great big wheel heading in her direction !!

RIP but pay attention !!

Sorry, you should watch the video closer and think more.

• Sad 1

Less than an hour ago I noticed a lorry with an underslung spare hanging precariously beneath the rear by a piece of rope. If he so much as brakes or turns too hard it'll rival anything designed by Sir Barnes Wallace when it comes loose...

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Drivers Training, Lesson #1:   Get off the mentality that it is fate or as the title implies that your number is up!!!!  This was human failure. As previous posters pointed out, tires don't just come off.  Brakes don't just stop working overnight etc, etc!!  These are ALL very preventable accidents that should never had happened.   Conductors fault whether you like it or not!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

At no point did she seem to even notice a great big wheel heading in her direction !!

RIP but pay attention !!

blabla...you seems to be Superman. I doubt, no human can react this unexpected situation.

35 minutes ago, fabphil said:

Maybe, just maybe if she had been wearing a good helmet not the ice cream containers that are readily for sale, she may, just may have had a better chance of surviving....

A helmet would not have saved her, helmets are tested and designed for impacts up to about 20kph, they are good for a fall to the road from bike seat height but not much else, hit something solid at over 30kph with your helmeted head or any other part of your body for that matter and the chances are you will receive a fatal injury. 

• Like 1

It wasn't a freak accident, it wasn't bad luck...

it it was cause and effect = negligence....

bad things happen for a reason and can clearly be explained....

As to avoidance, never will know unless you bring CSI in....that said, I counted today 5 motorcyclists having their phone in one hand either at a signal or a stop...what's happening inside all those tinted vehicles? Can't be seen, Thais are addicted to phones and driving not taken serious here adds up to a lack of focus and concentration on road conditions and driving...

3 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

i must agree with cornishcarlos to the point that I am indeed surprised that there wasn't a single flicker of reaction on her side, from when the wheel started rolling to when it was still on top of the center section, and a great part away . . so I was waiting  . . . waiting. . . . . for at least her rear brake light to light up . . . . but nothing . . . .

It all happened very fast . . . . 

I am riding motorcycles since I was 13 and I am often taken aback at the sights of apparent daydreaming  of motorcyclists on Thailand's roads.

When I go for a ride, my overall attention is everywhere from 5 yards towards 200 yards ahead . . to the right, to  the rear and to the left, and in Thailand, also to the above!  You could call that "scouting" and it is part of my defensive riding style

another part of my defensive riding style incorporates "always expect the unexpected". In Thailand this mostly means the sudden appearance of dogs, motorcycles cutting in your way from the behind or trucks coming from ahead suddenly swerving from their lane . . . I have already had my fair share of all of the above.  So the "expect the unexpected" actually has grown stronger over my years in riding Thai roads.

Thus said the accident is tragic and could have been avoided if the truck had undergone proper & regular maintenance. It was absolutely not her fault and there was little, very little she could have done. Even braking would have still kept her in the wheel's path.

Just wondering there was nilch, nada reaction, as in my case I was able to count to three after the wheel had come off . . . again . . . . . but . . . then probably the poster is right who said that her view was obscurred by the shrubs in the median. She didn't see the wheel coming until it was across the shrubs

There can't be any excuse and there's no way around it.  Rest in Peace, young lady

Although it it has nothing to do with this accident your sentence in italics referring to “ day dreaming” has I think provided the answer to something that has puzzled me for a long time

That is, why many Thais on motorcycles and bicycles turn out of side roads without looking.

I had put it down to many other reasons mostly derogatory but maybe you have provided the answer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

RIP but pay attention !!

Like everyone is saying you are such a tool. Been riding for a long time, only way you’d have any chance avoiding that is if you happened to be monging across the road when it came off... which you wouldn’t be doing whilst being aware of your surroundings because you’re keeping a wide view of your surroundings dangers around you.. not looking at the opposite side of the road over an island for random loose bouncing wheels... negligence on the maintenance..  quite unlucky on the  bounce Sent it right on her head to snapp the neck on impact Lower or higher may have had a chance of survival. Western countries have too many regulations to line pockets.. Thais don’t have enough.

• Like 1

As a UK Coach driver I can say that the start of day check and walk round vehicle check includes tyres and nuts. Not in LOS obviously. As an active motorcyclist I would say that the faster the rate of travel the more difficult it is to alter your path other than to brake. Sorry to say she had little chance.

• Thanks 1

This poor girl had absolutely no time to react except to start to steer away, but then how would she be able to project the trajectory of that bouncing tire?  R.I.P. to her and condolences to her family.

One of the worst accident that I ever witnessed in my 35 years of bus driving was on the Penna Turnpike where an eastbound truck lost a wheel similarly, it bounced into the windshield of a westbound tractor-trailer, killed the driver, and the truck crossed the median strip and hit an eastbound truck head on which was loaded with jeeps, jeep engines and assorted parts which were scattered all over the roadways.