Public told not to speculate about Prawit's luxurious wristwatch, ring

webfact

Public told not to speculate about Prawit's luxurious wristwatch, ring

By The Nation

bee3874e3c2c2bdfc067457833852b7e.jpeg

ACTING National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) secretary-general Worawit Sookboon yesterday appealed for “normal procedures” to be followed over allegations regarding Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan’s possession of a luxury watch and diamond ring.

Worawit urged people to let the NACC do its job before jumping to any conclusions.

“Please let us follow our normal work procedures. Don’t speculate too much about it,” said Worawit. 

Last week, the NACC gave Prawit 30 days to justify his possession of the two extravagant items, which he wore during a group photograph with the recently reshuffled Cabinet last Monday.

The photo – which showed the 72-year-old retired general shielding his eyes with his hand, displaying what appeared to be extremely expensive accessories – quickly caught the public’s attention and raised questions as to how a lifelong military officer could afford such luxuries.

Prawit is expected to submit an explanatory letter to the NACC today, according to a source close to him. The letter was at the Defence Ministry office and would be forwarded to the NACC after the long weekend, the source said.

An unconfirmed local report also claimed that Prawit’s ring was inherited from his mother, while what looked like a multi-million-baht Richard Mille watch was borrowed from Prawit’s businessman friend.

The source close to Prawit refused to confirm those claims, adding that the junta’s second-in-command would explain the matter only to the NACC. 

The NACC is presided over by Pol General Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit, who used to serve as a deputy secretary-general to the prime minister attached to Prawit. This has raised questions about whether the probe will be impartial.

Prawit’s “unusual wealth” was also an issue in 2014 when he entered the Cabinet, after he failed to declare any assets worth more than Bt200,000 to the NACC. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30333708

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-12

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems that Thai people are enjoying the 'Ah ha moment' we caught

him with no plausible explanation as to his jewelries...

and yeah, he didn't declare his ' unusual wealth' of 200k,

200k? i have that much under my mattaress, and i'm just usually 

wealthy....

18 minutes ago, ezzra said:

It seems that Thai people are enjoying the 'Ah ha moment' we caught

him with no plausible explanation as to his jewelries...

and yeah, he didn't declare his ' unusual wealth' of 200k,

200k? i have that much under my mattaress, and i'm just usually 

wealthy....

Unusual wealth has nothing to do with 200K. Missing to declare a single item with a value of, or higher than, 200K was only the reason why an investigation started.

Where did his mother get it, I thought they were middle class. 

Surely a ring like that would have a bill of sale and so would the watch that is lent to him by a friend. I still have the bill of sale of my 15 year old refrigerator. People usually keep things like that, especially million baht things. 

It's as simple as that. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“Please let us follow our normal work procedures. Don’t speculate too much about it,” said Worawit. 

They have total power over the country.  Who is going to stop them ?   Of course people are going to speculate without an explanation.  The fact there isn't one readily available and Prawit cowardly sought shelter with his own contrived government without confronting the media speak volumes.  Just hope the media does not let up on him. 

I do not assume he is crooked, or is paid under the table, or is robbing the treasury.  He may have a very high salary and chooses to spend his money on expensive watches and rings.  I would be curious about how much he is paid. As a supposed public are their purported salary figures available to the public?

Who “ borrows” a watch from a friend..... utterly pathetic and unimaginative excuse. I still reckon it could be a gift from a Chinese politician.... submarine and tank deals etc.

Sent from my Chinese Submarine using Thaivisa Connect

2 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Who “ borrows” a watch from a friend..... utterly pathetic and unimaginative excuse. I still reckon it could be a gift from a Chinese politician.... submarine and tank deals etc

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Have another look at the OP. He inherited it from his Ma today. One might wonder what she was doing with a man's wristwatch, but they are telling us not to speculate...

7 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Now society is being told what to think. Next we will have loudspeakers in every village telling us what to think and how to behave.

We already have them, blasting out news at 6 in the morning.....

8 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Now society is being told what to think. Next we will have loudspeakers in every village telling us what to think and how to behave.

Not sure if you are joking but there are already loudspeakers located throughout my village. Fortunately, I don't know what the hell they're on about most of the time.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

An unconfirmed local report also claimed that Prawit’s ring was inherited from his mother, while what looked like a multi-million-baht Richard Mille watch was borrowed from Prawit’s businessman friend.

as their pathetic, irrational,downright-stupid excuses pile up, is there any doubt as to the types of people who pretend to lead this place

MEMO To all "fat cats"  Especially anti corruption guys.

Do not accept bribes or expensive gifts.

Do not conspicuously display expensive gifts in public.

Do have plausible justification for displaying expensive luxury gifts.

Do put your brains in first before other items.

Do stall and procrastinate until the issue dies down in the media.