Fibreglass pool - Budgetary guesstimate.

Crossy

As noted in my other thread about rust and our above ground pool I could be in the market for a fibre-glass in-ground pool as a replacement.

Not in the market for a full quotation as yet, we'll go for that if we decide that the numbers work.

So, what's the approximate, all-in, cost of something like this (images from forum sponsor SwimmingPoolsThailand).

Size 8.5 x 5.0 x 1.5m overflow version. We have a suitable salt-water chlorinator, but need sand filter etc. etc.

Since we have the possibility of flooding a half-in-ground solution (30cm above ground would be above the 2011 level) is the ideal solution.

Any and all thoughts of the numbers especially from @SwimmingPoolsThailand welcomed. Like I said, number of noughts is the goal.

k-pool-lapalma.jpg

Cheapest in ground fibreglass pool would start at 450,000 THB. Depends on stile, finish (We are the only ones that offer speckle finish & 2 layers of gelcoat finish), amount of Jacuzzi jets & where you want the pool. If you have ground water issues then a Hydro-static valve would be needed. 

On 12/12/2017 at 5:36 PM, Crossy said:

So, what's the approximate, all-in, cost of something like this (images from forum sponsor SwimmingPoolsThailand).

On 13/12/2017 at 9:12 AM, Bagwain said:

Cheapest in ground fibreglass pool would start at 450,000 THB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 2:04 PM, carlyai said:

Don't forget the waterfall. emoji3.png
Another 'slippery slope project'.
And the stairs when you retire.
And the pretty thinggy in the middle.
And the pool fence .....

20171121_055714.jpg20170917_060921.jpg20171024_102851.jpg20171119_163730.jpg20171119_163644.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Looking good.

3 hours ago, irlguy1 said:

Personally I wouldn't touch a fibreglass pool for many reasons but to reach their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you please elaborate? with the greatest respect comments such as this are of no real help in answering the ops question, looking forward to hearing the the many reasons as to why one should not purchase a fiberglass pool in your opinion.

Can you please elaborate? with the greatest respect comments such as this are of no real help in answering the ops question, looking forward to hearing the the many reasons as to why one should not purchase a fiberglass pool in your opinion.

With the greatest of respect, I messaged the op yesterday at the same time I posted my comment so he has a complete list of my (and millions of other people's reasons) as it's public knowledge on the internet and also from Pool building companies that are not specifically trying to sell fibreglass.
I have seen the limitations and problems first hand so it's not an opinion it's a fact.

The reason I didn't post them here is because it will take the thread off topic. My comment was merely to get people to do some research before jumping into something.

If the op wants to post the details I sent him then he is more than welcome to do so as it's his thread.

I have been in the industry for over 20 yrs and there is both pros & cons with both concrete & fiberglass pools. To be totally negative in regards to fiberglass pools is IMO is ignorant. The technology has come a long way and just doesn't include fiberglass shells as such. There is now fiberglass panels which can have the same finishes as concrete pools. We do plenty of fiberglass panel pools in places you wouldn't think of a concrete shell. In fact a sizable number are being done for schools in Australia that are being manufactured here in Thailand and flat packed for shipping.

Concrete pools have their issues as well, Especially if you get substandard work. I have made bread & butter by fixing pools here in Thailand for the last 15 yr!!! 

mekong river.jpg

Construction of a Modular Swimming Pool in Remote location on Cambodian River Resort (12) (Small).jpg

Construction of a modular swimming pool at the L Resort Thailand with multi surface finishes.. (Small).JPG

Construction of a modular swimming pool at the L Resort Thailand with multi surface finishes. (5) (Small).JPG

Modular Swimming Pool on roof top of 5 Star Resort Phuket Thailand (5).JPG

Modular Swimming Pool on roof top of 5 Star Resort Phuket Thailand (2) (Small).JPG

I started this thread to get an idea of the costs of a GRP pool, I already know the approximate costs of concrete, and of our current simple above ground pool which does the job required of it (holds water for kids fun) just fine.

The plusses and minuses of all the different materials (don't forget the newer composites that are appearing) are well published, and yes, quality varies hugely in all camps.

What is apparent is that I can replace my simple pool every two years for the next 20 years and still invest less dosh than on even a small GRP pool (I'm not even going to mention concrete). Obviously the aesthetics are not as good but we have a large space and the pool doesn't impact on our life quality.

As with all things it's horses-for-courses.

I have been in the industry for over 20 yrs and there is both pros & cons with both concrete & fiberglass pools. To be totally negative in regards to fiberglass pools is IMO is ignorant. The technology has come a long way and just doesn't include fiberglass shells as such. There is now fiberglass panels which can have the same finishes as concrete pools. We do plenty of fiberglass panel pools in places you wouldn't think of a concrete shell. In fact a sizable number are being done for schools in Australia that are being manufactured here in Thailand and flat packed for shipping.

Concrete pools have their issues as well, Especially if you get substandard work. I have made bread & butter by fixing pools here in Thailand for the last 15 yr!!! 

5a7ba6db21743_mekongriver.jpg.0c022e3824fe6a03c640fc608079f8e8.jpg&key=342435efbf13f8afaa75ea46ab65b5e7648007337b44ad82cbdde39603d820d9

5a7ba6ebd9d26_ConstructionofaModularSwimmingPoolinRemotelocationonCambodianRiverResort(12)(Small).jpg.66cec20cf7cb8727acdde0284d9bf4aa.jpg&key=a499e78c1bf8eef0799faca9e4981ca72dd3efeae49d61c5feba9a227b392007

5a7ba719bf6cc_ConstructionofamodularswimmingpoolattheLResortThailandwithmultisurfacefinishes..(Small).JPG.a6871f8754bf058755ba62a0aabdfddd.JPG&key=360a63a13bcb3bd5f3b5e0ae200f4a43c9ca2edb266cce8020973e58c4952b04

5a7ba73274af5_ConstructionofamodularswimmingpoolattheLResortThailandwithmultisurfacefinishes.(5)(Small).JPG.0b18607aaf44c49ce0f99968ec988c70.JPG&key=f141b749a7a6599bdcb4d3ecbf493f2fa93e0ea49f4e65be924a160d17e3ed96

5a7ba7449a9b8_ModularSwimmingPoolonrooftopof5StarResortPhuketThailand(5).JPG.d27f3b7ad9f54eaf646959871763951e.JPG&key=6be6340b1c09fed2dfa10ea88f734150420354f80fe18b49e8103d0102931404

5a7ba753c824d_ModularSwimmingPoolonrooftopof5StarResortPhuketThailand(2)(Small).JPG.dde30281e8213332a50c10fcbdfbbefe.JPG&key=1f1cb02e11e462ae2e8367511c6ca16aa3cece66e9c40430dbce2e1377c11507

I never actually said that concrete pools didn't have issues but as you said if they are done correctly then the possible issues are rare.

It's also a myth that concrete pools are more expensive. The facts are that most people compare an expensive full bells and whistles concrete pool with the cheapest of the cheap fibreglass pool to make them look more impressive price-wise.

For the size the op wants in equal quality to a concrete pool would be around 1 mill baht.

Of course you can get cheaper but then the problems arise so it's false economy.

You mention new tech and new breakthroughs in fibreglass but you failed to mention that those options bring the price up from that 450k basic minimum that was quoted.

Like I said to each their own but I did a lot of research as I was looking to get a pool and the downside of fibreglass far exceed concrete on a like for like basis.

Watching this with interest as we are still deciding to either buy a house with a pool alread installed, build a house and pool, or buy a house and put a pool and guest house in. These threads are a great help.  

No way I would be buying a house built without me knowing what went into it and what the quality was like.

You can buy a house that looks amazing but you got no guarantee that the foundation is sound or that the steel was the right quality.

Building your own is the only way to go.

My builder did a brilliant job on my place last year.

54 minutes ago, lockyv7 said:

Watching this with interest as we are still deciding to either buy a house with a pool alread installed, build a house and pool, or buy a house and put a pool and guest house in. These threads are a great help.  

Build end of story.

I have made bread & butter in my business for the last 15 yrs here in LOS fixing & renovating pools. We build both houses & pools.

4 hours ago, irlguy1 said:

No way I would be buying a house built without me knowing what went into it and what the quality was like.

You can buy a house that looks amazing but you got no guarantee that the foundation is sound or that the steel was the right quality.

Well, yes, unless the house is over 10 years old in which case foundations shouldn't be an issue if there are no signs of cracking on internal and external walls?

Well, yes, unless the house is over 10 years old in which case foundations shouldn't be an issue if there are no signs of cracking on internal and external walls?

Concrete cancer can occur even after 10 years.
Besides that who wants to buy a 10 yr old home in Thailand.
Tell your thai mrs that's the plan and see her reaction
[emoji23]

1 hour ago, irlguy1 said:

emoji23.png

Our house has just turned 11 years old, you would want to buy it if you saw it but you couldn't afford it.

''Tell your thai mrs that's the plan and see her reaction'' - what's that all about?

Our house has just turned 11 years old, you would want to buy it if you saw it but you couldn't afford it.

''Tell your thai mrs that's the plan and see her reaction'' - what's that all about?

I don't buy second hand old junk sorry. As for not being able to afford it [emoji23][emoji23]
Considering you know nothing about me that's possibly the dumbest comment ever.

12 hours ago, irlguy1 said:

emoji23.png

Concrete could be the least of the problems.

I would be more concerned with the electrics!! 

Yes & a Thai wife would be aghast at 2nd hand!! (Obviously Grollies Mia is "Different)55555555 

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Yes & a Thai wife would be aghast at 2nd hand!! (Obviously Grollies Mia is "Different)55555555 

Very true mate, i was just talking about the structure but after that hell yes the electrics.
Where to even start on that.
No RCBO, no insulation on underground cables, no insulation on attic cables, over ground wires hanging and stretching, insufficient grounding or no grounding, inferior quality wire, incorrect fuses,
No earthing on showers or kitchen sockets.
The list is endless but hey if Grollie reckons it's ok to buy an old house then he must be right.
I wonder if he built his or bought it secondhand [emoji848][emoji6]

13 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Thank you for bringing my wife into the conversation but I think I'll leave you to it and carry on sucking each other's dicks.

Thank you for bringing my wife into the conversation but I think I'll leave you to it and carry on sucking each other's dicks.

Ah yes he resorts to gay comments. I guess someone is insecure with their sexuality then. It's ok mate when you reach puberty you will feel better until then keep going with the immature comments.
[emoji6]

Archived