Residency for Australia

scorecard

One has nothing to do with the other. I dont think removing your name from electoral rolls is even possible as its illegal not being enrolled to vote.

The ATO has an online calculator to determine residency for taxation purposes. 

I assume you mean, will you be a non-resident for taxation purposes?

Centrelink, the ATO and Immigration all have different criteria/tests for residency.

It's easy enough to remover yourself from the electoral role.

From the AEC website.

I am moving overseas indefinitely

If you are moving overseas indefinitely, and do not intend to return to Australia, please complete and submit an: Overseas notification form [PDF 279KB] (select the first option).

Your name will be removed from the electoral roll and you will not be able to vote in any federal elections held while you are overseas. Should you return to Australia to live permanently, you may re-enrol after you have been at your residential address for a period of one month.

5 hours ago, Will27 said:

Centrelink, the ATO and Immigration all have different criteria/tests for residency.

From the AEC website.

If you are moving overseas indefinitely, and do not intend to return to Australia, please complete and submit an: Overseas notification form [PDF 279KB] (select the first option).

Your name will be removed from the electoral roll and you will not be able to vote in any federal elections held while you are overseas. Should you return to Australia to live permanently, you may re-enrol after you have been at your residential address for a period of one month.

Thanks. In other words remove from electoral roll is a different matter to officially 'non-resident' for tax purposes, and I guess they are quite separate processes. 

What about folks who receive the oz OAP and live abroad, if they remove themselves from the electoral roll and/or officially declare themselves 'non-resident for tax purposes', does it effect / cancel their OAP entitlement or reduce their rate of pension? 

18 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks. In other words remove from electoral roll is a different matter to officially 'non-resident' for tax purposes, and I guess they are quite separate processes. 

What about folks who receive the oz OAP and live abroad, if they remove themselves from the electoral roll and/or officially declare themselves 'non-resident for tax purposes', does it effect / cancel their OAP entitlement or reduce their rate of pension? 

The tax system is bases on self assessment, so pretty much anything you declare will accepted.

That is, until it's found to be incorrect.

IMO, the vast majority of expats here would be non-residents for tax purposes but declare themselves

as residents to avoid the non-resident tax rates.

I don't receive a pension but can't see that declaring yourself as a non-resident or being removed from the

electoral role would have any affect on a pension.

I could be wrong though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/12/2017 at 11:03 AM, Will27 said:

From the AEC website.

The thing that gets my nose out of joint is, why do they remove us from the electoral role, after all, we are Australian Citizens, are we not ?

Living in Thailand on an extension of stay is not a visa per say, although the ATO accepts the fact that because your abode is Thailand, you are a non resident for tax purposes, and therefor will try to stick it to you if you own property back in Australia by removing the threshold of $18,200, so your immediate tax from rent is 32.5c, and then apply capital gains tax to your property when you sell it, and when you do the math after rates, insurances, maintenance, it really isn't worth keeping it as investing that money in the stock market is tax free if the shares are fully franked and capital gains tax doesn't apply on the shares.

I know I have rambled about this many a time before, but for farrrrrrrk sake, can we vote in Thailand, no, why, because we are not Thai Citizens.

Seriously the Australian government must worry about us Xpats, if we could vote, maybe it would have something to do with the 2 year rule, i.e. having to return to get your OAP ?

Don't get me wrong, being a non resident for tax purposes is the best thing that every happened to me finance wise, sure I can't vote, and lose being able to claim Medicare after 5 years, but the voting thing has got me, because I am sure most Ozzie's here take an interest to what goes on in the country they were born, not abode, and I say country they were born so as not to offend those that had it taken from them.

Archived