Legality of Pitbulls in Thailand

ShannonT

Our neighbor has recently acquired 2 Pitbulls. We live in a housing community where a lot of kids play outside and while both look dangerous, one seems especially angry towards kids when they run past. The problem is, the fences in our housing community are not that high. I've had dogs all my life and I can imagine these Pitbulls could jump over the fence if one day they want to. I sometimes see them standing up over the fence with half of their bodies already above it.

So, the question is ...are Pitbulls even legal in Thailand?

I found this article that suggests they are:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/learning-news/280893

But it also says they are required to wear muzzles when in public places. I don't think the neighbors fenced property is a public place, but I'm really a bit worried that one day a child will get attacked and die.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take some photographs of the dogs when they are behaving badly then take these to the local police station to express your concerns that they could be a nasty assault waiting to happen. Take pictures of your trip to the police station maybe holding a dated newspaper. 

Put all your pictures on a Thai facebook account and let social media do the rest.

Of course....you are not going to be mr popular with the dogs owner but prevention is better than a late cure.

49 minutes ago, PattayaAngel said:

You have my total sympathy but the Thai won't care. They can do what they want because?  they are Thai!  very difficult situation that almost certainly has no good outcome. I'm sorry but TIT and responsibility and caring about others is, generally, not in the Thai make up. 

Spare us your Thai bash but it happens in England and Canada and many other places. I leave you to google for dog attacks on people in other countries.

It is NOT a Thai attitude thing. It's a pit bull owners attitude thing.

What does 'both look dangerous' mean if only one 'seems' to be aggressive? Is it actually aggressive or is it just playing? Many people mistake strong minded breeds playing to be aggression for instance. If that one 'seems especially angry' and the fences are so low, wouldn't it have got out by now? 

Is this a legitimate concern or just a Pitbull bashing post as you may not like the look of the dogs? Are they even Pitbulls? Maybe uploads photos/videos of their behaviour as it 'seems' you are not 100% sure.

If it is legitimate and the evidence is there for everyone to see, then why not just go and talk to the owners? Maybe a compromise can be reached where they will change the set up of their land to make sure the dog cannot get out. It has already happened in a soi near us, a few villagers were starting to get scared of a Fila pup that is growing up, a conversation was had, and the owners have adjusted their set up. 

Edited by wildewillie89

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Spare us your Thai bash but it happens in England and Canada and many other places. I leave you to google for dog attacks on people in other countries.

Spare us the 'red tinted thai love thing' everyone knows Thais are less responsible concerning many things including animal welfare. Wake up and walk down any soi to see the rag tag dogs and cats etc.  Pitbulls are dangerous in ANY country, inc. England and Canada you so thoughtfully point out but where they are REGULATED.

If trained, disciplined and exercised properly pit bulls are great dogs.

Unfortunately like with their brat children Thais ignore any of these things..... here within lays the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What a silly thing to say....

Should they ban all big dogs? Many are capable of ‘blood baths’

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Google “pit bull attacks”.... then Google “Great Dane attacks”..... ohhhh my goodness, what a surprise!!!

Sent from my house using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Google “pit bull attacks”.... then Google “Great Dane attacks”..... ohhhh my goodness, what a surprise!!!

Google “rotweiller attacks”, google Alsatian attacks.....

It’s not just pit bulls, you’re being silly ( again ).

Google “rotweiller attacks”, google Alsatian attacks.....

It’s not just pit bulls, you’re being silly ( again ).

Not keen on Rottweilers either, they’re, as pit bulls attack dogs and nigh on impossible to stop when they flip, nope, too dangerous to have around, especially near kids.

Just to cover all the bases on dangerous dogs somebody should Google ' killer poodles ' just out of idle curiosity.

A standard poodle you wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of... I think they were originally bred to protect livestock..... awesome set of teeth

These dog threads always go off topic very quickly (lovers-v-haters).

IMHO - The OP is right to be concerned about any dog that is a potential danger to children in the village. Even very well trained and supervised dogs can sometimes revert to natural behaviours. Owners should be in control at all times and make sure that dogs can not escape from their own property.

Children are especially at danger, because they often have no idea how to behave around dogs.

As far as I can tell there are no "banned" breeds in Thailand. However, there may be some breeds that can not be imported, and there is also a thing called the "controlled dogs list" (includes various pit bull varieties) which requires owners to register their dogs. I can't imagine that this is properly managed/enforced.

We are not allowed to post links to Bangkok Post, but there is some useful information to be found if you do a google search for "bangkok post pit bull dangers learning". IMHO the article is a little alarmist, but also has some useful information.

Goes off topic as breed specific legislation is an old school of thought. Victoria (Melbourne) is in the process of relaxing laws due to a parliamentary inquiry finding out it isn't the Pitbulls, but the owners. Plus the strict legislation wasn't achieving anything.

Not a Pitbull lover and yes the OP has a right to be concerned, but if we all posted our concerns re dogs and kids in Thailand then there would be a post every minute of the day. In the time the post was made, a conversation and plan to build a better fence could have been had. What was the OP going to do? Take a Thaivisa post to the local cop shop and say, look what this expat said re Pitbulls - go take their dogs off them! Lol.

The post therefore seems more breed specific (a good old fashioned Pitbull bash), as pretty much every breed in Thai is beaten so bites out of fear. 

Even something as simple as 'WebMD', say Pitbulls are not human aggressive, do not lock their jaws, do feel pain and do not just snap out of nowhere (like most breeds dont). Which is why they make useless guard dogs, as they will lick intruders to death.

Yes, the problem with any breed here is the way Thai people bring them up. So even talking to the neighbours about that would be more relevant than posting here asking about the legalities, and then posting a link answering his own question. 

I dont think the controlled dog list is an actual thing anyone bothers with here. Filas are on it and a good chunk of the Thai police force own Fila's and don't register them. 

In my opinion, instead of complaining about the issue here, which achieves nothing, go and speak to the owners and take other neighbours with you. If the OP truly believes there is a concern, so will the other neighbours. 

The country cannot even minimize driving fatalities and accidents? Do you really think they have thought about regulating and enforcing a particular breed of dog?

do as you wish in LOS is the mantra...why do you think this place is a magnet for expat criminals and foreign thugs?

try to find a phone number or place for animal services and you have your answer...

speak softly and and carry a big stick....

48 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

In my opinion, instead of complaining about the issue here, which achieves nothing, go and speak to the owners and take other neighbours with you. If the OP truly believes there is a concern, so will the other neighbours. 

Exactly.

And nicely worded reply you wrote, hitting all the nails right on the head!

The law/police is kind of useless in Thailand as they do nothing about prevention. You can drive around all night without headlights and the police will do nothing until you hit somebody and then they will fine you. Same with dogs, they won't take any action till someone gets bitten/killed.

What you need is political skills.

Get some neighbors with you and discuss it in a friendly way with the owners.

Do not mention laws, regulations, or threaten to get the police.

Maybe even do some research yourself first about cheap ways to make the fences higher and bring that along.

Better even, don't come along yourself and send a Thai speaking person (your wife? ) as they might see it as losing face when a farang tells them what to do.

Good luck and please let us know how it worked out as this can help a lot of people on how to approach this.

Edited by Bob12345

19 hours ago, PattayaAngel said:

You have my total sympathy but the Thai won't care. They can do what they want because?  they are Thai!  very difficult situation that almost certainly has no good outcome. I'm sorry but TIT and responsibility and caring about others is, generally, not in the Thai make up. 

Anybody who sees my posts will know that I am not in the habit of talking down the country that I have chosen to live in...but unfortunately I have to agree with you on this occasion, I have witnessed it even at close quarters in my own wife (who is blissfully ignorant or the principle you talk about).

I once heard it explained that this is the way it is because we mostly come from Christian backgrounds and were brought up differently.

This  could possibly be the reason and what you never learned you should not be blamed for not having....I suppose?

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So you don't Thai bash but you bash a specific dog breed owner type? Makes sense. 

10 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Not keen on Rottweilers either, they’re, as pit bulls attack dogs and nigh on impossible to stop when they flip, nope, too dangerous to have around, especially near kids.

I can certainly understand people judging dogs by their breed. After all, it is always bad news that makes for good news for media throughout the world. 

It has always been one of my pet (sic) hates that dogs are judged (by breed) through massive media coverage of a few tragic events. However, unless you are an owner, or have been exposed to these breeds, I understand.

4e138e2ddfd51119ffac45986c3b1e5a.jpg.b71a7c66500a8c8084fc073352046c2c.jpg

20 hours ago, Denim said:

Take some photographs of the dogs when they are behaving badly then take these to the local police station to express your concerns that they could be a nasty assault waiting to happen. Take pictures of your trip to the police station maybe holding a dated newspaper. 

Put all your pictures on a Thai facebook account and let social media do the rest.

Of course....you are not going to be mr popular with the dogs owner but prevention is better than a late cure.

I would agree to an extent about taking photographs, but before presenting stills to the police, also take a video and have the video assessed by an authorized person as to what you are actually seeing.

Aggression, excitement, anxiety, playfulness? Unless you know you can only guess. 

I would agree to an extent about taking photographs, but before presenting stills to the police, also take a video and have the video assessed by an authorized person as to what you are actually seeing.

Aggression, excitement, anxiety, playfulness? Unless you know you can only guess. 

The police will have zero interest.

What’s the crime?

It’s like VDOing a car and saying this might knock me down???