Marine chief defends beach smoking ban

Rimmer

Marine chief defends beach smoking ban

image.png

PATTAYA:--The regional director of the Marine and Coastal Resources Department, Thanet Mannoi, met with foreign tourists in Pattaya to explain why Thailand has banned smoking on its beaches.

Thanet Mannoi, accompanied by Pattaya legal chief Sretapol Boonsawat, surveyed Dongtan Beach Dec. 7 to check on the implementation of the ban, which will not be enforced until Feb. 1.

They checked that 44 beach vendors were not smoking themselves and not selling cigarettes to beach-goers. They also inspected a designated smoking area away from the beach chairs and umbrellas.

Thanet and his deputies planned to provide foreigners with a better justification for outlawing tobacco on the beach, explaining that not only is second-hand smoke dangerous to those nearby, cigarette butts account for the majority of beach pollution.

Once enforced, the law could see smokers fined up to 100,000 baht and spend a year in jail.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/marine-chief-defends-beach-smoking-ban-194476

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-12-15

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Once enforced, the law could see smokers fined up to 100,000 baht and spend a year in jail.

This so far out of whack with other penalties...  Its as if the world is upside down, inside out... 

A year in Jail and 100,000 baht for smoking on a beach in Thailand ???? WHAT ? - yet you can get smashed by a taxi driver who receives an insignificant fine of 500 baht... 

I agree with being harsh on littering... but feel these laws are targeting foreigners and ignoring the true underlying issue at hand which is that littering is an issue everywhere in Thailand and not just on the beaches foreign tourists like to visit. 

Edited by richard_smith237

59 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

cigarette butts account for the majority of beach pollution.

Yes, of course, right...and all those plastic bags, Styrofoam plates/bowls, empty bottles and empty noddle cups don't count?

Fine, you made your laws and we will abide by them. BUT, if we don't see a single Thai citizen being caught, tried and convicted of said crime, we (foreigners) will continue to think that this is yet another scheme to get money from foreigners. You can disguise which ever way you want but, at the end of the day, it will only harm the country more.

IF we do see that Thai citizen are caught for this, then and only then will we actually believe your intentions are justified.

I've written several times on this topic and this one is my final comment on this matter. It is now up to the Thais to show us proof that this law is truly meant for all people, no matter which nationality they be, and not just for fleecing foreigners again.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A year in Jail and 100,000 baht for smoking on a beach in Thailand ???? WHAT ? - yet you can get smashed by a taxi driver who receives an insignificant fine of 500 baht... 

This has been explained many times already. "Smoking on the beach" falls under a big general law about "environment pollution". The industry that dumps toxic products in the nature may get this 100'000 baht fine, but the guy who smoke on the beach very probably will get a fine less than 1'000 baht.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

This so far out of whack with other penalties...  Its as if the world is upside down, inside out... 

I agree with being harsh on littering... but feel these laws are targeting foreigners and ignoring the true underlying issue at hand which is that littering is an issue everywhere in Thailand and not just on the beaches foreign tourists like to visit. 

Yea, but the revenue this will raise. Some believe this to be the only thought out part of the plan.

37 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Thailand' government officials are completely wacky.......simply due to being uneducated!

They work at being absurd. You can't get to their level simply by being uneducated. All sorts of other factors at play here

Whats the fine for leaving a 7/11 bag containing  two half eaten styro bowls of noodles  , 2 plastic spoons, two unused plastic forks  , two unopened straw packs and two large empty bottles of Chang under a palm tree on the beach? Whats the fine  if the same is just chucked into a klong? And does anyone care ?

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I go to the beach every day (not Pattaya beach) and am always depressed at the broken glass/rubbish left and rubbish washed up.

The last couple of days there's been a mattress bobbing v close to the shore, but today it's washed up on-shore.  But obviously rubbish dropped on the beach/at sea (not to mention sewage) is unimportant compared to those smoking on the beach.....

3 hours ago, ezflip said:

Yes, of course, right...and all those plastic bags, Styrofoam plates/bowls, empty bottles and empty noddle cups don't count?

Fine, you made your laws and we will abide by them. BUT, if we don't see a single Thai citizen being caught, tried and convicted of said crime, we (foreigners) will continue to think that this is yet another scheme to get money from foreigners. You can disguise which ever way you want but, at the end of the day, it will only harm the country more.

IF we do see that Thai citizen are caught for this, then and only then will we actually believe your intentions are justified.

I've written several times on this topic and this one is my final comment on this matter. It is now up to the Thais to show us proof that this law is truly meant for all people, no matter which nationality they be, and not just for fleecing foreigners again.

Saw a guy once on Sukhumvit back when the 2000 Baht fine 'butt patrol' was in force.  Said he would pay the fine when they stopped a Thai and they paid the same, he sat there for two hours and eventually they told him to clear off.  No Thai ever fined.  Favourite game was to wait till you could see them following you (back when I smoked) waiting to pounce and pretend to chuck the butt on the ground, never saw a Thai move so fast.  One of them picked up a butt that had clearly been there for days, Thai brand and tried to do me till I produced a pack of Marlboro Lights!

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

This has been explained many times already. "Smoking on the beach" falls under a big general law about "environment pollution". The industry that dumps toxic products in the nature may get this 100'000 baht fine, but the guy who smoke on the beach very probably will get a fine less than 1'000 baht.

But no receipt for small voluntary or alteenative fines. 

I don't know how the tourist #'s are country wide because I live in a somewhat rural area, but I was in Mae Hong Son recently & the night market, bars & restaurants that used to be flooded with tourists this time of year were dead & had very few caucasian faces. Having said that, I have to wonder if it's a good idea to approach foreigners with a mob of city officials & cameras, waving your finger & lecturing tourists about smoking. Sounds a little intimidating. 

2 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Whats the fine for leaving a 7/11 bag containing  two half eaten styro bowls of noodles  , 2 plastic spoons, two unused plastic forks  , two unopened straw packs and two large empty bottles of Chang under a palm tree on the beach? Whats the fine  if the same is just chucked into a klong? And does anyone care ?

Should be in the price range of 250,000-300,000.

4 hours ago, ezflip said:

**They can always hire a Thai pretending to be arrested, inform the media and set a fake example to show that the ban is not specifically targeted to foreigners...

Edited by oldies1
spelling

3 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Yes... true..... forget about the headlines blaring 100 000 baht fines for smoking on the beach.... that’s just grandstanding to get the message across.... ( as too, will be anyone who gets fined 100k baht... just reinforcing the message)

real fines will undoubtedly be in the nature of 1000 to 5000 baht (perhaps dependent on the defendants attitude... so at lot at the 5000 baht end... lol)

we saw this with the Russian fish feeding .... an insignificant fine despite the massive 100k baht max that was splashed across the headlines

but... the Russian woman was in early days of her holiday... spent three days in chalong lockup ( can’t remember actually... overnight... over weekend... locked up and inconvenienced anyway) to raise bail equivalent to the max fine... ie 100k baht.... turned up in court and got her paltry (by comparison) fine.... all good

so... Humpty Dumpty gets done on day five of a seven day amazing Thai holiday.... what happens? He’s amazed!

per previous.... pays the max “fine” as bail bond (100,000 baht)

overstays his holiday.... more accommodation needed, more food needed, more (unpaid.) holidays needed ( if he keeps his job)... perhaps a new flight ticket home.... bulk concern and ulcers ... etc etc

so.... he gets on a plane, minus 100k baht, and goes home on time, to resume his normal life, having been scammed by the best.... TiT

This is just another example of the "vilify the smokers" trend going on for years now.

If the fine were 1,000 baht, I would be behind it 100%. And it was a mistake to put the smokers "in a box". Just designate an area they can smoke, and put a couple benches there with ash cans to collect the butts. Most smokers are willing to be reasonable about their habit, as they know it annoys others.

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

But it wouldn't go around the classroom  properly interpreted.

4 hours ago, ezflip said:

Thais will never get caught smoking on the beach because they always abide by the rules ha ha ha !!!!!