language clarification...

1FinickyOne

1 hour ago, katana said:

A JAO CHU เจ้าชู้ is a player, womaniser, philanderer, promiscuous person etc.

It can describe both women and men.

Yes. Thanks - I think that is spot on from the usage I hear. And I have one dictionary source that defines it that way too... I think it was google that used "flirt" only... 

For flirt you could use เล่นหูเล่นตา  len hoo len ta- make eyes at

to chat up a girl  -จีบ สาว jeep sao

เกาะแกะ ko kae- to chat  up

เกี้ยวพาราสี  เกี้ยวพาน geeo parasee  geeo pan- to chat up

แทะโลม tear lome - to chat up, court

Actually I'd be interested in what differences there are between these variouswords for chatting up a girl.

7 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Yes. Thanks - I think that is spot on from the usage I hear. And I have one dictionary source that defines it that way too... I think it was google that used "flirt" only... 

Yes. I also used to think it only applied to men, but then I heard a woman (jokingly) use it to describe herself so I guess it can (sometimes) be used for women too.

3 hours ago, bannork said:

For flirt you could use เล่นหูเล่นตา  len hoo len ta- make eyes at

to chat up a girl  -จีบ สาว jeep sao

เกาะแกะ ko kae- to chat  up

เกี้ยวพาราสี  เกี้ยวพาน geeo parasee  geeo pan- to chat up

แทะโลม tear lome - to chat up, court

Actually I'd be interested in what differences there are between these variouswords for chatting up a girl.

Well, in my version of English, chat is to talk - I know the expression chat up - and assume it is just more flirtatious chat? I like the first one - len hoo len ta

goes well with Dtah Wan - sweet eyes

bpahk wan - sweet mouth... 

Thanks

Edited by kenk24

For what it is worth and I get the impression ‘not much’ I think of ชู้ (chu) as a noun meaning a pair of lovers and two hundred years ago was legally defined as an informal marriage.
There is another use where it is used to describe an adulterer. He is described as ชู้ and the woman as หญิงมีชู้ .
เจ้าชู้ like เจ้าบ้าน also a noun, an adulterer strictly speaking but it appears to mean flirt( I would say lustful person putting the emphasis on sex) nowadays.
For both a man and a woman engaged in illicit sex the term is เล่นชู้
ชู้สาว is useful as an adjective, the relationship between a ชู้ and his woman สาว. Traditionally men go for this with younger women, girls. The story is one of adultery เรื่องชู้สาว
A ชู้ is unacceptable but the merging of the cultures means that you can’t be sure how it will be taken when and if you use ชู้ in a context other than sinful I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

In reading further I came across: ชู้เหนือ (chu neua for those who don’t know Thai) a person who gets sex secretly from an girl engaged to be married> ชู้เหนือ ขันหมาก (gifts to the groom) ชู้เหนือผัว husband, ชู้เหนือผี from a newly widowed woman.
I wouldn’t call any of those situations flirting would you?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 2 weeks later...
For a light-hearted view of กิ๊ก, see http://www.thai-language.com/id/590144

The source for this is https://www.gotoknow.org/posts/136578

I see that you have left out a little David.
After "if you are not afraid of dying from aids" "แภมยังต้องปีนต้นงิ้วก็เอา "besides the punishment that awaits you in hell, then go for it.

ปีนต้นงิ้ว is the punishment for breaking ศีลข้อ3 a sin (กรรมชั่ว)
กิ๊ก as defined here is ชู้สาว but made more tolerable for the modern age but not so much as to ignore that final proviso I think.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On December 27, 2560 BE at 2:58 AM, Rhys said:

What then is  a gik?

If you lift a heavy package and hurt your back, your wife will berate and tell you that you know to be careful, what's the matter with you - you idiot.

A gik just says, "ahhhh...poor thing." 

That's what a Gik is.

On December 27, 2560 BE at 2:58 AM, Rhys said:

What then is  a gik?

If you lift a heavy package and hurt your back, your wife will berate and tell you that you know to be careful, what's the matter with you - you idiot.

A gik just says, "ahhhh...poor thing." 

That's what a Gik is.