Mattis says North Korean ICBM not yet a 'capable threat' against U.S.

rooster59

Mattis says North Korean ICBM not yet a 'capable threat' against U.S.

800x800 (12).jpg

U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis delivers a few remarks to President Donald Trump on a North Korean missile test as Trump speaks with reporters at the White House in Washington, U.S. November 28, 2017. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Friday that analysis continued on North Korea's most recent missile test, but he did not believe its intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) posed an imminent threat to the United States.

"It has not yet shown to be a capable threat against us right now ... we're still doing the forensics analysis," Mattis told reporters at the Pentagon.

Last month, North Korea said it had successfully tested a new type of ICBM that could reach all of the U.S. mainland and South Korea and U.S.-based experts said data from the Nov. 29 test appeared to support that.

Mattis did not elaborate on what was lacking in the test to show it was not a capable threat.

He said himself immediately after the test that the missile had gone higher than any previous North Korean launch and that it was part of a research and development effort "to continue building ballistic missiles that can threaten everywhere in the world, basically."

U.S.-based experts, some of whom have been sceptical about past North Korean claims, said last month that data and photos from the test appeared to confirm North Korea had a missile of sufficient power to deliver a nuclear warhead anywhere in America.

But experts and U.S. officials have said questions remain about whether it has a re-entry vehicle capable of protecting a nuclear warhead as it speeds toward its target and about the accuracy of its guidance systems.

South Korea's Defense Ministry said this latest test put Washington within range, but Pyongyang still needed to prove it had mastered re-entry, terminal stage guidance and warhead activation.

Some U.S. based experts believe North Korea could be only two or three tests away from being able to declare the missile operational.

U.S. President Donald Trump vowed "it won't happen" after North Korean said in January is was in the final stages of developing a nuclear weapon capable of reaching the United States.

Trump has said all options are on the table, including military ones, although his administration has made clear it prefers a diplomatic solution.

"It continues to be a diplomatically led effort," Mattis said. "When we're ready to have conversations ... dialogues, that will be up to the president and secretary of state."

At a U.N. Security Council session on the crisis on Friday, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson urged North Korea to carry out a "sustained cessation" of weapons testing to allow the two countries to hold talks.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 20174-12-16

2 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Good , keep believing that Mattis so Kim has some more time to build a lot more . He's gonna need it.

He'll never be able to build enough.  And by then, THAAD will be perfected.  It'd be self annihilation if he tried to do anything.  Luckily, he's not stupid and knows that.

In the meantime, his people suffer while he lives the life of luxury.  And some members here seem happy with that.

17 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

He'll never be able to build enough.  And by then, THAAD will be perfected.  It'd be self annihilation if he tried to do anything.  Luckily, he's not stupid and knows that.

In the meantime, his people suffer while he lives the life of luxury.  And some members here seem happy with that.

I agree mostly BUT question how you know (or think)....... 

"Luckily, he's not stupid and knows that."???????

Personally I think he is smart in a few ways, but overall 'Very stupid' and 'Hateful'............

He has made his 'goal' very clear....... He wants to 'neuter', 'castrate', 'de-nut', 'kill', the 'big dog' and hasn't much goal otherwise......... He certainly don't have his own peoples welfare in mind.... Only his personal goal....... and no concern for the innocent folk wiped out............

If he don't have the capability of wiping out millions of our civilians now...... Then 'NOW' (NOT later) is the time to take him down (while he has that smile on his face)....BUT BEFORE he wipes out my family and friends.......

OPINIONS are like A-holes (we all have one)..... this is my opinion (and you are welcome to yours).... for other readers.......

And mind you ....... I do agree with the rest of your post......... just that I don't think he is 'smart enough'...... I compare HIM to a mosquito about to bite the US....... "SWAT HIM"

I am American and I 'Hate Trump' so I understand that is an issue.... But Trump won't be there much longer, but we can't say that about KIM, can we........ ?????   

SWAT HIM..... Like the insignificant mosquito HE is........

"Mattis says North Korean ICBM not yet a 'capable threat' against U.S."

Yes, so by all means, we should all just sit back and wait until it is.   Are we regressing now to the Barack Obama school of foreign affairs?  Mattis, you're SECDEF, not Charlie Brown.

Nuclear tipped missiles may not be the only threat:

"SEOUL--North Korea has begun tests to load anthrax onto intercontinental ballistic missiles, according to an intelligence source here.

The United States also has come to the same conclusion. The White House, in its new National Security Strategy issued Dec. 18, stated that North Korea is pursuing "nuclear, chemical and biological weapons that could threaten our homeland.”"

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201712200036.html