800,000 THB Capital Sum For Retirement Visa

A retired British couple, in their mid 60s, have been living in Thailand for about 4 years. The wife’s pension is the equivalent of 10,000 THB per month; the husband’s pension is the equivalent of 20,000 THB per month. They own their house in Thailand

They have been living in Thailand on a series of tourist visas, obtained from neighbouring countries.

They now have jointly 800,000 THB for a retirement visa (extension of stay based on retirement).

If both of them applied at the same time, however, they would each have to show that they have 800,000 in their own separate bank account. On a first application, the money has to be in the account for two continuous months; in subsequent years, the money must be in the account for three continuous months. But, as stated above, they only have 800,000 in a joint account.

This raises the following questions: 

Do they both have to apply at the same time, or can one of them bank the money for two months, and then apply for, and get, the visa first? 

Once obtained, can they then transfer the 800,000 to their partner’s account for two months so they can get their visa too?

• Like 1

Thank you ubonjoe and elviajero for your helpful replies.

Do they both use the same form when applying (TM7) or is there a different form if applying for an extension based upon the other’s extension as their spouse?

Do you know if the Immigration Office in Chiang Mai has any rules about the length of time left before the passport expires e.g. 1 year or 18 months?

Edited by silver sea

14 minutes ago, silver sea said:

Do they both use the same form when applying (TM7) or is there a different form if applying for an extension based upon the other’s extension as their spouse?

Both will use a TM7 for the extension of stay applications.

The will both need non-o visa entries to apply. The one applying for the extension based upon retirement could apply the non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration. But the other would have to apply for one at a nearby embassy or consulate. The best option would likely to be make the trip together to apply for the non-o visas.

14 minutes ago, silver sea said:

Do you know if the Immigration Office in Chiang Mai has any rules about the length of time left before the passport expires e.g. 1 year or 18 months?

If the passport has less than one year of validity when the extension is applied for it will only issued to the date the passport expires.

• Like 1

Thank you.

From Chiang Mai, which neighboughing country would you recommend as friendly and helpful please?

Also, does it matter, if it is the wife, rather than the husband, who has the 800,000 baht in their individual account and makes the main application, or will that raise problems/suspicions for the traditional Asian mindset?

18 minutes ago, silver sea said:

From Chiang Mai, which neighboughing country would you recommend as friendly and helpful please?

Savannakhet Laos or Penang Malaysia are both good locations for getting the non-o visas. Both will want to see the 800k baht in the bank for the one applying based upon retirement. They will also want proof of retirement as well. A accepted proof of retirement is a income letter from the UK embassy that could show their income for their pension. The other one would only need the marriage certificate.

18 minutes ago, silver sea said:

Also, does it matter, if it is the wife, rather than the husband, who has the 800,000 baht in their individual account and makes the main application, or will that raise problems/suspicions for the traditional Asian mindset?

It makes no difference. 

Thank you.

If they both went to Penang for their non o visas, can they also submit, at the same time, their extension of stay applications? Or would they need to apply for the extensions of stay at their local Immigration Office on their return to Chiang Mai?

I have just looked at the Penang website in relation to the non o visas:

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/visa-run-penang.php

The wife, having 800,000 in her personal account would apply for the second visa listed “Non O Immigrant Visa”?

The husband would apply for the third one listed “Non Immigrant O for marriage”?

11 hours ago, silver sea said:

Thank you.

If they both went to Penang for their non o visas, can they also submit, at the same time, their extension of stay applications? Or would they need to apply for the extensions of stay at their local Immigration Office on their return to Chiang Mai?

I have just looked at the Penang website in relation to the non o visas:

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/visa-run-penang.php

The wife, having 800,000 in her personal account would apply for the second visa listed “Non O Immigrant Visa”?

The husband would apply for the third one listed “Non Immigrant O for marriage”?

Ignore anything on that website it is not an official website. From the bottom of the page. "This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy." The consulate in Penang's website has no info other than general info from the department of consular affairs website.

They can only apply for the extension at an immigration office.

The spouse would not need to show 800k baht in the bank. She would apply as a family member of a person qualifying for an extension of stay.

The husband would apply for a non-o for being 50 or over for retirement. And would show the 800k baht in a Thai bank as well as proof of retirement that I mentioned earlier.

13 hours ago, silver sea said:

Alternatively, if they had plans for a trip back to the UK and were both in receipt of the UK State Pension, they would each be eligible for a non-O visa on those grounds from the Royal Thai Embassy in London.

That said, since you stated in the OP that they were both in their mid-sixties, it might be touch and go as to whether they were yet eligible for the State Pension (in this connection, I assume that the pensions you are referring to are occupational ones)!

Just now, Evilbaz said:

Doesn't the UK O require exiting every 90 days and annual trips back to UK?

Hardly as convenient or cheap as retirement extension plus "piggyback".

If they were going to U.K a Non Imm O Visa would be a perfect Visa to get.

They could then extend when returning to Thailand.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Only one of them has to apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement. The other one can apply for an extension based upon the others extension as their spouse.

The account would have to be in the name of the one applying for the extension.

And to  complete , the couple will have to present their marriage certificate to have the second spouse piggyback of the retirement extension of the first   person.

The 800K Baht must only be in ones account for at least 3 month. If joint account 1,6M.

One apply for retirement Visa and the other person is dependent on the one who apply. You do this at the same time. You need a Non Immig. O Visa issued at a Thai embassy outside of Thailand.

I have had a retirement Visa for the last 14 years and my wife is dependent on me.

Good Luck

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Only one of them has to apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement. The other one can apply for an extension based upon the others extension as their spouse.

The account would have to be in the name of the one applying for the extension.

Can i ask a question? If I already have an extension but then get married to a non-Thai, can she also apply for extension as my spouse?

9 minutes ago, pennine said:

Can i ask a question? If I already have an extension but then get married to a non-Thai, can she also apply for extension as my spouse?

Yes she can apply for an extension as your spouse. It will be issued to the date yours expires then she would get a one year extension when you get yours.

20 hours ago, silver sea said:

Thank you ubonjoe and elviajero for your helpful replies.

a new British passport can be obtained at thaivisa assist in CM for a fee of 5000 baht plus the cost of renewing the passport...sure beats travelling to BKK twice...takes about 3 weeks to arrive...

800.000,B can be a mix from you and your wife. It has to stay in bank 3 month before you ask for Visa. Or 65.000B a month mix with money in account. Really as married you only need to show 40.000B a month - again mix with money in account but this is more difficult. Much more paperwork that way. Go to Thai Visa police and get the document telling about it. 

13 minutes ago, jorgenweihrauch said:

800.000,B can be a mix from you and your wife.

The 800K needs to be in an account in the sole name of the person applying for the retirement extension.

14 minutes ago, jorgenweihrauch said:

It has to stay in bank 3 month before you ask for Visa.

60 days for the first extension, and 3 months for all future extensions.

15 minutes ago, jorgenweihrauch said:

Really as married you only need to show 40.000B a month - again mix with money in account but this is more difficult.

You cannot mix money in the bank with income when applying for an extension based on marriage, only retirement.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jorgenweihrauch said:

Really as married you only need to show 40.000B a month - 

Go to Thai Visa police and get the document telling about it. 

"Really as married you only need to show 40.000B a month..."

Doesn't that only apply if married to a Thai?

"Go to Thai Visa police and get the document telling about it".

What does Thai Visa police mean? D'you mean Immigration?

Edited by Just Weird

1 hour ago, jorgenweihrauch said:

800.000,B can be a mix from you and your wife. It has to stay in bank 3 month before you ask for Visa. Or 65.000B a month mix with money in account. Really as married you only need to show 40.000B a month - again mix with money in account but this is more difficult. Much more paperwork that way. Go to Thai Visa police and get the document telling about it. 

So much wrong information here.

Money in the bank for 2 months for first extension.

Applicants bank account only.

40,000 Baht if married to a Thai woman.

Income OR Cash. Cannot mix both.

Edited by Lite Beer

1 hour ago, Lite Beer said:

So much wrong information here.

Money in the bank for 2 months for first extension.

Applicants bank account only.

40,000 Baht if married to a Thai woman.

Income OR Cash. Cannot mix both.

All correct - but the "wife" in this thread is not a Thai - so the OP can just forget the 40K figure (from the post you replied to).

In the OP's case, only one spouse needs to qualify for the retirement-extension, but that one spouse must meet the full amount 65K/mo OR 800K in the bank, or a total of the two equal or greater than 800K in a year - since one can mix the two for retirement extensions.  And, yes, all in their name only.  Then, the spouse can apply as their dependent without supplying any financials at all.

For Ubon Joe.  I am in the throes of possibly changing the way I do my retirement extension.  Currently I am on an income Stat Dec from my embassy every April.  If I was  changing from income to banked money in Thailand will I have to have that 800k in my Thai bank for two months or three months?  Thank you.

35 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Currently I am on an income Stat Dec from my embassy every April.  If I was  changing from income to banked money in Thailand will I have to have that 800k in my Thai bank for two months or three months?  Thank you.

Three months. 

• 11 months later...