• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 36

60 Minutes blasted after replacing harris word salad…

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 45

Reasons of change

5. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

6. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 45

Reasons of change

9. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

10. 45

Reasons of change

11. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

12. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

13. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Trump strategy document says Russia meddles in domestic affairs worldwide

webfact

Trump strategy document says Russia meddles in domestic affairs worldwide

By Steve Holland and James Oliphant

2017-12-18T194659Z_1_LYNXMPEDBH1J7_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-SECURITY.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks regarding the Administration's National Security Strategy at the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center in Washington D.C., U.S. December 18, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump's administration said on Monday that Russia interferes in the domestic political affairs of countries globally, but stopped short of accusing Moscow of meddling in the 2016 U.S. election.

The criticism of Russia, laid out in a new national security strategy based on Trump's "America First" vision, reflects a view long held by U.S. diplomats that Russia actively undermines American interests at home and abroad, despite Trump's own bid for warmer ties with President Vladimir Putin.

"Through modernized forms of subversive tactics, Russia interferes in the domestic political affairs of countries around the world," said the document.

It avoided directly citing what U.S. intelligence agencies say was Russian meddling in last year's U.S. presidential election.

"Russia uses information operations as part of its offensive cyber efforts to influence public opinion across the globe. Its influence campaigns blend covert intelligence operations and false online personas with state-funded media, third-party intermediaries, and paid social media users or 'trolls,'" the document said.

Trump has frequently spoken of wanting to improve relations with Putin, even though Russia has frustrated U.S. policy in Syria and Ukraine and done little to help Washington in its standoff with North Korea.

In a speech laying out his strategy, Trump noted that he received a call from Putin on Sunday to thank him for providing U.S. intelligence that helped thwart a bomb attack in the Russian city of St. Petersburg.

Trump said the collaboration was "the way it's supposed to work."

"But while we seek such opportunities of cooperation, we will stand up for ourselves and we will stand up for our country like we have never stood up before," he said at the Ronald Reagan Building in downtown Washington.

The audience of about 650 people frequently applauded the speech. It included the military's Joint Chiefs of Staff, several Cabinet secretaries, lawmakers, military personnel and officials from the intelligence community and other agencies.

A U.S. Justice Department investigation is looking into whether Trump campaign aides colluded with Russia, something that Moscow and Trump both deny.

U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded Russians tried to tip the election to Trump through hacking and releasing emails to embarrass Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and spreading social media propaganda.

Facebook, Google <GOOGL.O> and Twitter Inc <TWTR.N> are facing a backlash after saying Russians used their services to anonymously spread divisive messages among Americans in the run-up to the election.

Other Western nations, including France, have accused Russia of trying to interfere in their elections.

TRUMP STRATEGY

Congress mandates that every U.S. administration set out its national security strategy. The new Trump strategy is influenced strongly by the thinking of top national security officials rather than that of the president himself, said one official involved in preparing the document.

The Republican president's strategy reflects his "America First" priorities of protecting the U.S. homeland and borders, rebuilding the military, projecting strength abroad and pursuing trade policies more favourable to the United States.

Talking points sent to U.S. embassies worldwide on what diplomats should say about the new strategy makes clear that the official U.S. position is tough on Russia.

An unclassified State Department cable, seen by Reuters, said: "Russia tries to weaken the credibility of America's commitment to Europe. With its invasions of Georgia and Ukraine, Russia has demonstrated a willingness to use force to challenge the sovereignty of states in the region."Harry Kazianis, an analyst at the conservative Center for the National Interest think tank, said, "While things with Moscow might be warm and fuzzy for the moment, President Putin will not take too kindly to being labelled as what essentially amounts to as an enemy of America."

It drops Democratic former President Barack Obama's 2016 description of climate change as a U.S. national security threat, aides said. Trump has vowed to withdraw the United States from the Paris climate accord unless changes are made to it.

The Trump administration lumps together China and Russia as competitors seeking to challenge U.S. power and erode its security and prosperity.

The singling out of China and Russia as "revisionist powers" also comes despite Trump's own attempts to build strong relations Chinese President Xi Jinping.

A senior administration official said Russia and China were attempting to revise the global status quo - Russia in Europe with its military incursions into Ukraine and Georgia, and China in Asia by its aggression in the South China Sea. Russia denies the allegations that it meddled with the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

Trump has been working with Xi to exert pressure on North Korea over its nuclear and ballistic missile programs.

The administration warned that intellectual property theft by China is a national security problem.

“We need to protect data in different ways. We need to ensure that the legislation we have, like CFIUS, is up to date and reflects the kinds of strategic investments that are taking place by other countries,” an administration official said.

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), which reviews the purchase of U.S. assets by foreign companies, has recently taken a strong stand against technology transfers to Chinese companies.

(Additional reporting by Phil Stewart, Arshad Mohammed, Warren Strobel and John Walcott; Editing by Alistair Bell and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

...despite Trump's own bid for warmer ties with President Vladimir Putin...

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

Trump has frequently spoken of wanting to improve relations with Putin, even though Russia has frustrated U.S. policy in Syria and Ukraine and done little to help Washington in its standoff with North Korea.

I truly do not understand Trump's obsessive desire to please Russia/Putin, and lacking a reasonable and/or credible explanation, I have to conclude that he is secretly obligated to them somehow.

A serious question to the Trump supporters;

'Why does Trump believe that Russia is not a threat to the USA, or at bare minimum is a serious,opponent to US interests?'

I would really love a serious answer...

TIA

Edited by Samui Bodoh
Lack of coffee

Staggering hypocrisy. Nobody interferes more in foreign countries around the world than the US. Arab spring anyone? Libya? Korean peninsula? Just shocking that they can accuse Russia of interfering when all evidence points to Russia doing a great benevolent job on the world stage. Clearing up the terrible mess Obama/Clinton made in Syria just for starters. Well done Russia, one day you will get the thanks you deserve - after Russiagate blows over perhaps?

28 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I truly do not understand Trump's obsessive desire to please Russia/Putin, and lacking a reasonable and/or credible explanation, I have to conclude that he is secretly obligated to them somehow.

'Why does Trump believe that Russia is not a threat to the USA, or at bare minimum is a serious,opponent to US interests?'

TIA

Times have moved on since the cold war. It was a good few years ago now you know?

Russia as a modern Christian nation shares most of the core values that westerners find admirable, which naturally makes Russia an ally.

The core threat to civilization as we know is being fought against very hard by Russia - one of the few western nations that has not flat-out submitted to this threat like Canada and Sweden. It is no surprise that most Swedes I know pray for Russian intervention in their country, after seeing as how dangerous life has become at home, and how their freedom of expression has been totally lost.

There is no evidence that Russia poses a threat to the US.

Russia has behaved with great maturity after all the shreiking and accusations made by the political left and establsihment elites desperate for a scapegoat for their favorite candidate having taken a thrashing at the polls.

Russia has a great wealth of natural resources and is also a potential major market for US goods, getting along is just common sense for business.

You get the gist

Now your turn, give a serious answer as to why the left believe Russia to be such a dire threat to the US. Please do not trot out the our Hillary/Russian trolls nonsense pls.

Fair enough. 

Times have moved on since the cold war. It was a good few years ago now you know? I did not mention the cold war, and don't know anyone who has. It isn't relevant.

Russia as a modern Christian nation shares most of the core values that westerners find admirable, which naturally makes Russia an ally. The best description that I have seen for Russia is a "Kleptocracy". It may share some "Christian values", but doesn't respect the idea of free elections, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, etc. I fail to see how that makes it an ally of those who do respect those things.

The core threat to civilization as we know is being fought against very hard by Russia - one of the few western nations that has not flat-out submitted to this threat like Canada and Sweden. Er... what is the "core threat to civilization" that Canada and Sweden have submitted to? This does not make sense.

It is no surprise that most Swedes I know pray for Russian intervention in their country, after seeing as how dangerous life has become at home, and how their freedom of expression has been totally lost. Swedes praying for Russian intervention in their country? Er...what? Evidence?

There is no evidence that Russia poses a threat to the US. Actually, all 17 of the US intelligence agencies have stated that Russia acted to influence the US election. Do you think they did that for altruistic purposes? I call this a threat; what do you call it?

Russia has behaved with great maturity after all the shreiking and accusations made by the political left and establsihment elites desperate for a scapegoat for their favorite candidate having taken a thrashing at the polls. Why is Russia acting "with great maturity" relevant to anything? Who cares how they react?

Russia has a great wealth of natural resources and is also a potential major market for US goods, getting along is just common sense for business. Many countries have resources and markets; Russia's aren't more valuable than others. If it is simply a question of number of potential customers, isn't opening the Chinese market more rational?

You get the gist No, sorry, I don't. I do not see even one rational argument for Trump's obsessive compulsion to please Russia/Putin. Not one.

Now your turn, give a serious answer as to why the left believe Russia to be such a dire threat to the US. Please do not trot out the our Hillary/Russian trolls nonsense pls.

I believe that Russia is a threat because they see the US as a competitor for global influence, and thus are trying to weaken the US for their own interests. Again, 17 American intelligence agencies have stated that Russia tried to illegally interfere in the US election- do you seriously believe that they did so for a reason other than their own benefit?

I don't blame Russia for wanting global influence, most if not all countries want that. I want to see the proverbial 'great game' played out in the open through the clash of ideas, not through the under-handed cheating of covert actions.

If Russia is a benign actor as you seem to believe, let it make its case openly and transparently. Until it does so, it is to be considered suspicious and untrustworthy.

There ya go...

49 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Staggering hypocrisy. Nobody interferes more in foreign countries around the world than the US. Arab spring anyone? Libya? Korean peninsula? Just shocking that they can accuse Russia of interfering when all evidence points to Russia doing a great benevolent job on the world stage. Clearing up the terrible mess Obama/Clinton made in Syria just for starters. Well done Russia, one day you will get the thanks you deserve - after Russiagate blows over perhaps?

Guess what!  Your hero just said otherwise! 

Russia doing a great benevolent job?  You should visit Ukraine, Georgia, Moldova, Syria.  I guarantee those living there will tell a different story.

Where do you get your news from?  Staggering.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

TIA

What Trump says and what he writes is two different things.  Here's what his written words say.  Completely different and left out in his speech.  I guess @FreddieRoyle will be stunned by this. LOL

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/18/politics/trump-national-security-strategy/index.html

"Today, actors such as Russia are using information tools in an attempt to undermine the legitimacy of democracies. Adversaries target media, political processes, financial networks, and personal data," the document reads. "The American public and private sectors must recognize this and work together to defend our way of life."

Trump did not mention those lines during his remarks, instead sticking to broad declarations of American superiority on the global stage.

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

... I did not mention the cold war, and don't know anyone who has. It isn't relevant.

... I believe that Russia is a threat because they see the US as a competitor for global influence, and thus are trying to weaken the US for their own interests.

I agree with all your points. However, I single out the 2 statements above.

The Cold War is indeed over but for a lot of Russians, the fact that Russia lost keeps it very much alive. This includes a certain, former KGB Colonel who was left carrying the can at the KGB office in Dresden Embassy in 1989 when Moscow stopped answering his phone calls.

Russia lost the Cold War. He's not over it.

Edited by NanLaew

3 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Freddie, you paint with such a narrow brush. All countries; well, those with any real power--military, financial or political--try to meddle in other countries' business. The point is, did Russia's meddling effect our election and/or any other important national issues. If it did; then, did any US entity benefit from, or contribute to, that meddling. If the US entities did; did they break any laws?

The purpose of the Mueller investigation is to determine who may have possibly collaborated with the Russians or had knowledge of their interference in the American election process.

All Americans should e supporting this investigation to determine if a foreign power not only tried to interfere but actually manipulate votes which resulted in vote totals that are wrong.

Already 4 people involved with the Trump campaign have been indicted and 2 have plead guilty including General Flynn- formerly the head of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) fired by President Obama.

If Trump has nothing to hide- he should be coming forward with statements support Mueller and his investigation instead of stonewalling and criticising the FBI and various intelligence reports.

I don't know if Trump is a collaborator or knew the Russians were involved in the election process- but if Trump has knowledge of others in his Administration or his election campaign being involved and he is trying to hide that knowledge or attempts to hinder the investigation, he is obstructing justice.

Trump is trying to invoke Richard Nixon's self serving statement that 'If the President does it- it's not illegal" which is absolute nonsense and had Nixon not resigned he would have been impeached and convicted.

Trump is on shaky ground and his own words will eventually do him in.  He fired Comey because Comey would not do what Trump wanted and end the Flynn investigation and instead prosecute Ms. Clinton for her private server.

What Trump fears most is that the Russians have information on him that if released will sully his already poor image and if the Russians did interfere in the election and there is evidence the vote totals are suspect- Trump may have actually lost the election. I, like other posters cannot understand why Trump sees Putin as  beyond criticism. Russia has illegally annexed the Crimea; invaded Ukraine; meddled in Georgia and has a history of absorbing nearby Nation States.  Putin cannot handle direct criticism- his critics end up in prison or worse yet dead.

The Trump supporters are enabling this narcissistic meglomaniac who is not only incompetent but a threat to World peace with his attempt to reorder the World based upon the alt right philosophy of Steve Bannon and General Flynn.  American cannot stand alone in this modern World and according to the Trump Doctrine this is what he is proposing. Of course, military and intelligence budgets will continue to soar all paid for off the backs of the middle class and poor of America.

America has external enemies but it also has the greatest internal threat to peace and prosperity  and that is Donald Trump. If he makes it to 2020 -the American people will come out in droves to finally put this meglomaniac on the scrap heap of History.

Edited by Thaidream

I salute Freddie for his hilarious post.  Clearly he has the Christmas spirit and must have been in fits of laughter as he wrote that.  At a time when the world is having serious problems it is refreshing that Freddie can write such idiotic nonsense with a straight face. :wink:

13 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Fair enough. 

Times have moved on since the cold war. It was a good few years ago now you know? I did not mention the cold war, and don't know anyone who has. It isn't relevant.

Russia as a modern Christian nation shares most of the core values that westerners find admirable, which naturally makes Russia an ally. The best description that I have seen for Russia is a "Kleptocracy". It may share some "Christian values", but doesn't respect the idea of free elections, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, etc. I fail to see how that makes it an ally of those who do respect those things.

The core threat to civilization as we know is being fought against very hard by Russia - one of the few western nations that has not flat-out submitted to this threat like Canada and Sweden. Er... what is the "core threat to civilization" that Canada and Sweden have submitted to? This does not make sense.

It is no surprise that most Swedes I know pray for Russian intervention in their country, after seeing as how dangerous life has become at home, and how their freedom of expression has been totally lost. Swedes praying for Russian intervention in their country? Er...what? Evidence?

There is no evidence that Russia poses a threat to the US. Actually, all 17 of the US intelligence agencies have stated that Russia acted to influence the US election. Do you think they did that for altruistic purposes? I call this a threat; what do you call it?

Russia has behaved with great maturity after all the shreiking and accusations made by the political left and establsihment elites desperate for a scapegoat for their favorite candidate having taken a thrashing at the polls. Why is Russia acting "with great maturity" relevant to anything? Who cares how they react?

Russia has a great wealth of natural resources and is also a potential major market for US goods, getting along is just common sense for business. Many countries have resources and markets; Russia's aren't more valuable than others. If it is simply a question of number of potential customers, isn't opening the Chinese market more rational?

You get the gist No, sorry, I don't. I do not see even one rational argument for Trump's obsessive compulsion to please Russia/Putin. Not one.

I believe that Russia is a threat because they see the US as a competitor for global influence, and thus are trying to weaken the US for their own interests. Again, 17 American intelligence agencies have stated that Russia tried to illegally interfere in the US election- do you seriously believe that they did so for a reason other than their own benefit?

I don't blame Russia for wanting global influence, most if not all countries want that. I want to see the proverbial 'great game' played out in the open through the clash of ideas, not through the under-handed cheating of covert actions.

If Russia is a benign actor as you seem to believe, let it make its case openly and transparently. Until it does so, it is to be considered suspicious and untrustworthy.

There ya go...

Meanwhile  the  US   administration  is  squeaky   clean  ? GMAB !

"Through modernized forms of subversive tactics, Russia interferes in the domestic political affairs of countries around the world," said the document.

Yet, they did not even consider trying to influence the US election, and Putin would never for a moment, try to get his good buddy Don elected. Nah. Never. What? What was the circus huckster in chief actually saying? The great deflector has spent a year telling us that Russia had nothing to do with any sort of interference in the US election. Yet, now they are saying they meddle everywhere they can? What gives here? 

As has been the case from the beginning of this hapless administration, there is no coherent policy, nor message. What else can we expect from a madman, who refuses to take his medications?