Durian thieves going high tech - using drones to steal valuable fruit in Chumphon

webfact

Durian thieves going high tech - using drones to steal valuable fruit in Chumphon

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that thieves are now using drones to steal Thailand's "King of Fruits" - the much sought after durian.

An orchard owner in Chumphon in the south of the country reported that he had lost a ton of the out of season variety that fetches top prices.

This amounted to an 80,000 baht loss for Kittisak, 34.

He said that thieves were using four or five drones at night to survey his 300 trees. Signals are then sent to people on the ground who cut three or four fruit from the tops of trees making detection difficult.

The local police have proved useless, he said, so he was now resorting to his own protection measures to safeguard his crop.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-19

I'd like to see what happens when these "Thieves" get caught?

Hand them over to the police?

What for? When you can get so creative on such "Durian Thieves".

1. Drop the Durian = A fun game where the thieves are spread out, tied to the ground with markings of points on each part of their body, the Player uses the confiscated drones to pick up a durian, and drop it at the place where he thinks will get the most points.

The private parts is where you get the most points.

2. Durian Dodgeball = A fun game where the thieves have handcuffs with their hands behind their backs, where they try to dodge the durians that are thrown at them so they can make their way to freedom. The only catch : There is No Freedom!

Message to people who steal Durians : Don't steal Durians, or you will be made to never want to see another durian for the rest of your life.

Edited by yosuik
Added Message : part.

How are these drones surveying the crops at night? Do they have night vision cameras? Also I would question how the owner knows there are four or five of these drones surveying his crops at night, if he has observed them that closely it seems like he could have caught the culprits himself.

Edited by Lee4Life

16 hours ago, tonray said:

This is a problem all over Thailand....vegetable crops harvested in the middle of the night, fish ponds raided in darkness, etc etc. There is a criminal element that finds stealing much easier than working hard for a living.

That, in case you have not noticed, is a worldwide phenomenon. Many would rather live on the backs of others, instead of putting in the hard work themselves. Shame on their parents, for raising such fools.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That, in case you have not noticed, is a worldwide phenomenon. Many would rather live on the backs of others, instead of putting in the hard work themselves. Shame on their parents, for raising such fools.

Yes I've noticed bit since this is a forum and thread discussing agriculture and crime in Thailand,  I chose not to make it about anywhere else. 

On 12/20/2017 at 2:30 AM, spidermike007 said:

Is a child's behavior encoded in silicon, rather than *influenced* by parents? Are you or anyone else without a will of their own?

Edited by max2u

On 12/22/2017 at 1:44 AM, max2u said:

Is a child's behavior encoded in silicon, rather than *influenced* by parents? Are you or anyone else without a will of their own?

As a great philosopher once said, "environment is far stronger than will power". The reality is that most succumb to their environment. I know I sure did, when I was a kid. It takes a strong individual to say NO! That does not work for me!

Parents do have an enormous responsibility to their kids to provide a positive, secure, and safe environment with boundaries, and lessons to be learned. Otherwise, why bother having children? 

On 12/28/2017 at 5:51 AM, spidermike007 said:

As a great philosopher once said, "environment is far stronger than will power". The reality is that most succumb to their environment. I know I sure did, when I was a kid. It takes a strong individual to say NO! That does not work for me!

Parents do have an enormous responsibility to their kids to provide a positive, secure, and safe environment with boundaries, and lessons to be learned. Otherwise, why bother having children? 

My contention does not go to parental responsibility to their 'fledglings,'  but to the responsibility of people once they are out of the nest. Despite (or in spite of :-) whatever has been greatly philosophized,  we've likely all heard tales of the 'grownup' that shocked both siblings and parents with his or her deviant behaviors, and conversely, the abused, misguided, neglected child that grew into a wonderful person, as much in rejection of their upbringing as in celebration of living well . . at last!

Really, the best answer I give to the question of:

"Is it nature or nurture that determines how human behavior is formed?"

is:

Yes.