Bangkok residents wrap up against winter weather

webfact

Bangkok residents wrap up against winter weather

By The Nation

e3dd7bef6756f5de4a4dd29acee7e9b1-sld.jpe

Many Bangkok residents had to wrap up against the cold on Tuesday as winter temperatures dropped to below 16 degrees Celsius.

The Meteorological Department reported that the average temperature in Bangkok was 17C on Tuesday morning with the Don Mueang district the coldest at 15.5C.

15ad04ba0508e76c1d319e6c4fa185a6.png

Many Facebook users posted photos of themselves wearing jackets and other layers of clothing against the cold. Others said they were reluctant to leave their homes because of the low temperatures.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30334281

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-19

1 hour ago, chicowoodduck said:

Yup, will be out looking for my jumper later in the day.....get a grip, folks...????

I suppose you never sweat or find it too hot in Thailand... 

I challenge anyone to sit outside in shorts and a T-Shirt in 17 degrees C for 3 hours or so and not feel too cold.

The cool weather here is lovely, it is by far the best time of year and for the briefest of spells the 'Climate' in Bangkok is wonderful...  But, I can understand how Thai's find it cold. 

Having evolved in warmer climes and living day to day in swelteringly hot temperatures and high humidity throughout the year the 1 or 2 week cool spell is significant and some find it quite uncomfortable much in the same way we in the UK have difficulty handling the 2 week hot spell of 30 degree C+ temperatures. 

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suppose you never sweat or find it too hot in Thailand... 

I challenge anyone to sit outside in shorts and a T-Shirt in 17 degrees C for 3 hours or so and not feel too cold.

The cool weather here is lovely, it is by far the best time of year and for the briefest of spells the 'Climate' in Bangkok is wonderful...  But, I can understand how Thai's find it cold. 

Having evolved in warmer climes and living day to day in swelteringly hot temperatures and high humidity throughout the year the 1 or 2 week cool spell is significant and some find it quite uncomfortable much in the same way we in the UK have difficulty handling the 2 week hot spell of 30 degree C+ temperatures. 

Agree. Came from Tasmania to live here in August 2006. Then, I still found the cool season intolerably hot. Now, after 11 years, I find myself shivering with the cold with the morning temperature at 16C and still having to wear long trousers during the day yesterday.

Whilst we do joke about the locals feeling cold in what, to many of us, are comparatively balmy temperatures, people do die from exposure even this far south.

We had a local chap die last year when it got down to only 18C. OK alcohol was involved (isn't always), but he just fell asleep outside in shorts and a T, never woke up.

On 12/20/2017 at 3:12 AM, CLW said:
On 12/20/2017 at 3:01 AM, FritsSikkink said:
where do you base that on?

The temperature in Bangkok could be all year around 25° C at daytime and 18° C at night.

I hope not.  That is too cool for me. 

In celcius, right now where I live in the U.S., it is -1.66 C.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 3:38 AM, CLW said:
On 12/22/2017 at 1:25 AM, radiochaser said:
I hope not.  That is too cool for me. 

In celcius, right now where I live in the U.S., it is -1.66 C.

Minus degrees are definitely not pleasant.
Luckily I haven't experienced them for years

Even worse now!  Currently, here where I am in Pennsylvania, it is 10°F / -12.22°C.  Tomorrow morning, at 6 am, the predicted temperature here is, -1° F / -18.33°C!

I do not have use of the upstairs bathroom sink nor toilet.  The water in the pipes is, frozen!

Would someone buy a ticket to Thailand for me ... please??  :omfg:

Edited by radiochaser