Pattaya gives Thailand’s name another beating

webfact

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've lived here for 25+ years, in Bangkok and Issan. Do you read the news? Every single day there are stories of extreme violence, Thai on Thai or Thai on foreigner. Today is no exception

In my own village a kid was caught stealing fruit off a tree. Now, where I come from that would have meant a visit to the kid's father. Here, the land owner killed the kid. The kid's father then went and shot dead the person who killed his son and severely injured his wife, who died later. Did the police do anything? No. The second killer went away for a while and it was too much trouble to chase him down, and now he's back living in the village free as a bird.

Yes I read the news and, no, I won't deny there is definitely the potential for violence here—and everywhere else in the world for that matter these days.  Like I briefly mentioned, better to be friendly, respectful, and on our toes.  This is especially true for us since we will always be guests here.  That said, based on my personal experiences, I certainly don't agree with you that Thailand is so extremely dangerous... well... unless it's someone looking for trouble, especially one who's drunk and who hangs out too late in seedy places such as Pattaya's girly bar district, etc.

Cheers & Merry Christmas! :smile: 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

As I comment before in other post, I´ve been living in Pattaya for 1,5 years of my 17 years in Thailand. I have the experience to make my judgement.
As for lunching with somebody else related to talking and agree on the matter, that is out of the question. I am a big boy. I can stand for my own opinion. Absolutely no need for an army of followers. 
As for fascination, that is as far as from Pattaya you can come in my opinion.

Silly me,  I took you at your word in your original post stating: 'Myself, I wouldn't set down my fot in Pattaya'.   No fascination, but lots of your time spent reading about Pattaya and writing posts about a place you apparently dislike to the point of vowing never to set 'fot' in it.   

Good thing that the press at last has taken things into hand. :clap2:

People behave as such as they feel impunity knowing that a farang seems to have no rights in Thailand.....good for neighbouring VietNam ! :sorry:

Today it is Pattaya, but tomorrow the virulence could spread out to all the Thai metros,  if more is not done to protect the farangs and expats in Thailand, in a better manner. :ohmy:...

....at one point the press abroad, will  report more on such issues and the farang industry in Thailand will crumble like a house of cards....

The current gentleman are not up to the reforms. It takes a real man with no want for cash to dig deep into the sewers and scrape the slime out. Honestly this country has not presented that man. So nothing will change and there are no reforms. Soon China will run the show 

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

This editorial piece would have fallen of deaf ears even if it written

in Thai and Issan dialects and posted on every songthaew and taxi

In Pattaya, as Thais in general don't rally care what foreigners

thinks of them and that this is Thailand and they can do what they

like when it comes to dealing with outsiders....

Perhaps thats a major contributing factor in why tourism is so down these days?

1 hour ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Yes I read the news and, no, I won't deny there is definitely the potential for violence here—and everywhere else in the world for that matter these days.  Like I briefly mentioned, better to be friendly, respectful, and on our toes.  This is especially true for us since we will always be guests here.  That said, based on my personal experiences, I certainly don't agree with you that Thailand is so extremely dangerous... well... unless it's someone looking for trouble, especially one who's drunk and who hangs out too late in seedy places such as Pattaya's girly bar district, etc.

Cheers & Merry Christmas! :smile: 

I tell.the truth. I consider myself a hard man. But reading your story really shows me the trouble these people have to face here. 

Yes the problem is the authority has failed. There simply not qualified and fruit. I would have killed the dog also. Even not as his father. 

9 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"Pattaya is world famous for its seaside beauty and other attractions, ......."

The main attraction being the good choice of restaurants and shopping and the naughty nightlife, not necessarily in that order. Pattaya does not have world famous seaside beauty, as most people would agree.

Seaside what  lol

1 hour ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

That said, based on my personal experiences, I certainly don't agree with you that Thailand is so extremely dangerous... well... unless it's someone looking for trouble, especially one who's drunk and who hangs out too late in seedy places such as Pattaya's girly bar district, etc.

Your experience perhaps, and good for you. But the reality is that the place is populated by a very large number of mentally very unstable people. From just ONE TV news alert on ONE day:

Norwegian man assaulted after noise complaint at Pattaya bar

Dental official shot dead in hospital’s lodging in Chumphon

Three arrested after neighbor shot in hail of bullets after argument over collision

And not ONE of them with any connection to "Pattaya's girly bar district", including the poor chap who was unlucky enough to live opposite a rowdy bar.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Silly me,  I took you at your word in your original post stating: 'Myself, I wouldn't set down my fot in Pattaya'.   No fascination, but lots of your time spent reading about Pattaya and writing posts about a place you apparently dislike to the point of vowing never to set 'fot' in it.   

And, how I spend my time concerns you exactly how? Get a life.

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

Never ever change the text when you quote one of my comments again. You leave everything inside left like it is. I hope you understand that.

This was what I wrote: "It´s a nightmare of crime, violence and sexindustry together with far to much booze in combination with everything"

Remember that.

full quote ... I feel with you!

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Your experience perhaps, and good for you. But the reality is that the place is populated by a very large number of mentally very unstable people. From just ONE TV news alert on ONE day:

Norwegian man assaulted after noise complaint at Pattaya bar

Dental official shot dead in hospital’s lodging in Chumphon

Three arrested after neighbor shot in hail of bullets after argument over collision

And not ONE of them with any connection to "Pattaya's girly bar district", including the poor chap who was unlucky enough to live opposite a rowdy bar.

The real question is this:  How much of this has affected YOU on a day to day basis.  For goodness sake, please don't peruse any of the news outlets for my country, the USA, as you'll have a freakin' heart attack.  For <deleted> Sakes, it seems to be the most dangerous place in the world these days.  Gun violence is reaching critical mass.  Just honk your horn at the <expletive deleted> who pulled in front of you in traffic and he/she is liable to jump out and shoot you.  If he/she doesn't do it the now-militarized hair-trigger police thugs will.  Or simply pull into the wrong neighborhood by mistake and BAM you're dead.  Gun violence thanks to growing mental illness, gangs, etc., in the former Land of the Free is truly shocking.  Thailand, with all its faults... including being ruled by Little P and his band of military misfits, is heaven by comparison.

And, yes, my comments are based on my day-to-day experiences since 2005.  I'm not afraid to go anywhere at any time here.  That said, I do avoid the restive south.  Other than that I feel totally safe here.  You should too.  Be courteous and keep your eyes open and you'll be fine.

Cheers!

12 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

The real question is this:  How much of this has affected YOU on a day to day basis.  For goodness sake, please don't peruse any of the news outlets for my country, the USA, as you'll have a freakin' heart attack.  For <deleted> Sakes, it seems to be the most dangerous place in the world these days.  Gun violence is reaching critical mass.  Just honk your horn at the <expletive deleted> who pulled in front of you in traffic and he/she is liable to jump out and shoot you.  If he/she doesn't do it the now-militarized hair-trigger police thugs will.  Or simply pull into the wrong neighborhood by mistake and BAM you're dead.  Gun violence thanks to growing mental illness, gangs, etc., in the former Land of the Free is truly shocking.  Thailand, with all its faults... including being ruled by Little P and his band of military misfits, is heaven by comparison.

And, yes, my comments are based on my day-to-day experiences since 2005.  I'm not afraid to go anywhere at any time here.  That said, I do avoid the restive south.  Other than that I feel totally safe here.  You should too.  Be courteous and keep your eyes open and you'll be fine.

Cheers!

My wife this past week attended the funeral of a woman from her village who was murdered.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Well, maybe you should consider moving to another jung-wat if your neighborhood is that dangerous.

She was injured and later died after she was caught in the action of a man who shot dead her husband. The husband had killed the man's son for picking fruit off his tree. Incidents like that take place all over the country, no matter where people live. It really is a dangerous place. Did you know that based on population numbers Thailand has double the number of gun murders of the USA. But as it's Thailand no-one cares or takes any notice.

The number one rule to live by here is to never, ever, under any circumstances, argue with a Thai. My sister-in-law's boyfriend complained at a hotel in no uncertain manner that water in their room wasn't working properly and he ended up in hospital with a broken shoulder and many other injuries. Would that happen in your country, or mine? I very much doubt it.

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My sister-in-law's Dutch boyfriend recently complained that the water in their hotel room in Jomtien wasn't working and ended up with a broken shoulder, cuts on his face and several other injuries that required surgery. He's a pensioner, not a young stud making trouble after downing too many in the bar.

Land of smiles my arse. A Google search will show it's one of the most violent places on Earth outside of war zones.

More people probably die of drug related gang violence in Mexico than of violence in LOS. Several countries in the world far outweigh LOS for violence, and I'm not talking about war zones. I'd say even Chicago is probably more dangerous.

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My sister-in-law's boyfriend complained at a hotel in no uncertain manner that water in their room wasn't working properly and he ended up in hospital with a broken shoulder and many other injuries. Would that happen in your country, or mine? I very much doubt it.

The one incident is purely anecdotal, i.e., certainly atypical of Thailand.  Again, you should consider moving if it's that dangerous in your area.

32 minutes ago, connda said:

At this point, given the violence toward tourists and the filthy beaches, I recommend to my friends to head to Mexico. 

Ah a person who cares about the safety of friends or family, well done, I stopped recommending my friends come to Thai two years ago when it started to change for the worse. For the vast majority of tourists this place is well and truly seen its best days, now all you get is trouble or death from the worlds deadliest roads and their drivers, rip offs by the scum who think they are better than anyone else, which they are at scams.

Just imagine if this lot where part of the EU and the fines for dirty beaches and water? Now no longer a world tourist destination, but a colony of China and India.

17 hours ago, Get Real said:

I just have one thing to say, and out of your response I take a wild guess and say that you are one of the people residing in Pattaya.
That is: Eyes wide shut, doesn´t even see the dark!

And, yes! I have both been there and tried to stay for all up to 1,5 years before I couldn´t take it no more. My foot is in Isaaan. I guess you can take all Isaan area and compare it to Pattaya. The result you find would still be more crimes and criminals in Pattaya alone, and more prostitution and power drinkers with a child stage mentallity in Pattaya alone. That says a lot to me.

That is more than just one thing.

I actually live about 10km out of Pattaya central, I would not like to be in the thick of it.

My issue was with your comment It´s a nightmare of crime, violence and sexindustry ,  which is over the top, it is a party town, yes, but I believe the issues of crime and violence, while higher than anyone would like, are really not so extreme.

As to living in Issan, well, that is my wife's wish and after several visits I am sure I could not take the boredom. Brain wastage and simply nothing really of interest. Pattaya, well, if you get bored there you are near dead already. It didn't suit you, well fine, but there is quite an Expat population who have decided it is where they want to be.

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That is more than just one thing.

I actually live about 10km out of Pattaya central, I would not like to be in the thick of it.

My issue was with your comment It´s a nightmare of crime, violence and sexindustry ,  which is over the top, it is a party town, yes, but I believe the issues of crime and violence, while higher than anyone would like, are really not so extreme.

As to living in Issan, well, that is my wife's wish and after several visits I am sure I could not take the boredom. Brain wastage and simply nothing really of interest. Pattaya, well, if you get bored there you are near dead already. It didn't suit you, well fine, but there is quite an Expat population who have decided it is where they want to be.

The only time it can possibly be boring for somebody in Isaan, would be if the only interest is boozing, having a variety of sex and eventually jump form a balcony on the ninth floor fully doozed with all from sleeping pills to heavy narcotics. Alternatively something else that ain´t a normal persons life in their home country.

You know, in Isaan you get to have fresh air, a lot of things to see, lovely nature and once in a while can have the possibility to take a beer in a nice outside restaurant.
There is also a possibility to be active in sports and see to that you keep yourself fit. Yeah, actually there is so much to do so it would bore you just reading about it I guess. :cheesy:

However, we must come to the most giving and important thing you have to contribute with in this part of Thailand. That is to help people with making all their work and daily things more easy and effective to do.

Living in Pattaya doesn't have to mean living on Walking Street. It offers International Schools, food from around the world, movie theaters in English. Those who despise Pattaya are the ones who have never been here or the ones who never leave Beach Rd.

14 hours ago, carmine said:

Perhaps thats a major contributing factor in why tourism is so down these days?

Tourism is not down, it increases year on year, every year.

There is a thread running right now about tourist numbers being up.

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Tourism is not down, it increases year on year, every year.

There is a thread running right now about tourist numbers being up.

Tell that to the people of Samui......This place seems so full of people telling how tourism is so up.....they must be invisible.  Only place i can see is really busy is Bangkok.  If you believe all those massaged figures then more fool you, you obviously haven't lived here long.

In summary, its easy to book any hotel, easy to go on any tour, easy to get any flight.  Never used to be in years prior, everything was booked up much earlier......but then again, believe the hype if you want.  But for those with clear vision,  to the hotel managers presiding over half full hotels in what is high season, its very much NOT up with european tourists.  They are going elsewhere.

Edited by carmine

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

once in a while can have the possibility to take a beer in a nice outside restaurant.

Err, there is rather more of this in Pattaya!!!

Plus a multitude of gyms, sports fields, tennis courts, bowling alleys, sailing clubs, windsurfing, paragliding, jet-skis (beware of scam), flying (micro-lites), fishing (sea and lake), swimming, cycling etc etc.

Fresh air in Issarn, well so long as it isn't burning season and sitting staring at paddy fields while termites buzz in and out of every orifice, no. That isn't for everyone.....

Let us agree do differ, but if I am going to sit around I prefer to be near some support facilities.

30 years living here,been to lots of places in Thailand,
but never been to Pattaya,never really appealed to me,
but what am I missing?
regards worgeordie
How can it not appeal if you have never been?
Surely you are not relying on advice provided by bashers who are posting from a council flat in blackpool..

I have just got back from spending a week there. Seeing the boat crews sitting on the beach smoking and then stubbing their butts into the sand with no a care in the world, then on a walk along 2nd road seeing thais camping and doing their daily business in a vacant piece of land very close to an one of a number of up market hotels, the footpaths are an absolute disgrace let alone the other things that I saw down there. I certainly am not in any hurry to go there again.  It would seem that some people mis understand what I am saying. I am an atheist and I think that all religions are a waste of time and money. As for my opinion about Pattaya, it is my opinion that when I see thai people deficating and living on vacant land on 2nd road it is a disgrace and it would seem that all of their talk about smoking is just a smoke screen (as usual). For my own personal reasons I am a non smoker and a non alcoholic drinker, after owing bars in both bangkok and pattaya I have seen enough.!!