Norwegian man assaulted after noise complaint at Pattaya bar

webfact

3 minutes ago, balo said:

Well now the Norwegian tabloids can inform his family he is dating a ladyboy. Try to stay out of trouble or your private life will go public in a matter of hours. TIT.

He could always claim he did not know--that seems to be a rather common excuse.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As reported by Harry Seaman, the bar is a nice French Restaurant. On the night of the incident a friend who also lives close by said it was very noisy that evening. If anything the patrons were drinking and noisy and most likely they caused the damage to the Norwegian. Very  unfortunate.

5 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Point 1: If this guy moved in before the bar ever opened up, then he should have known better. (still doesn't deserve a beating)

Point 2: If the bar opened after he moved in then he is in another predicament. And, could he have called on the BIB's for help?

Point 1 = Timeline:  He moved in....... The bar opened.

Point 2 = Timeline:  He moved in....... The bar opened.

Same same!!

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Because they hail from rules-based societies. They tend to follow rules and expect others to do so. This is particularly so for Scandinavians.

Thais hail from a hierarchical society where nobody follows rules but they do adhere to orders coming down the hierarchical structure.

This is one reason, and a considerable one, why a disproportionate number of Scandinavians (lovely people that they are) make incredibly bad decisions in Thailand and other non-rule-based societies.

good analyses....

I am not aware of any noise abatement law in Thailand, though I will stand corrected if other posters say there is. People have parties where the music is very loud, music blasts out from the local municipal field. I suppose there might be some kind 'guide rule' for local establishments (such as not allowed after midnight) but since I have never been to any of these I really don't know. My point is that complaining about excessive noise here is probably going to get no attention at all.

As for the beating, of course that is simply 'not on' as they say and charges should be given...but somehow I doubt it.

11 minutes ago, soistalker said:

500 baht and a wei should be sufficient punishment.

And why did the sexuality of his  "partner " have anything to do with it? Is it just to embarrass him?

Maybe they should have mentioned whether he/she was pre-op or post-op, and whether he/she had a hard on.

As balo above you ( not on top of you ) stated , now the chap has had a hiding  the Norwegian press like us  know that he prefers LBs.

I stood in the road shouting at my Thai wife the other day ' Age 48 , shorter than me about 5'-1" , quite dark and comes from Nan '.  Wow , really , how fascinating NOT.

If you choose to live in somewhere like Pattaya then you must expect noise like this as a matter of course.  Think Vegas or Blackpool or downtown Bangkok.  I lived in Hong Kong and the noise was nonstop chatter and the chinking of Mahjong sets all through the night.  I moved to Stanley on the other side of the Island and slept like a baby.  You choose where you lay your head.

11 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I am not aware of any noise abatement law in Thailand, though I will stand corrected if other posters say there is. People have parties where the music is very loud, music blasts out from the local municipal field. I suppose there might be some kind 'guide rule' for local establishments (such as not allowed after midnight) but since I have never been to any of these I really don't know. My point is that complaining about excessive noise here is probably going to get no attention at all.

As for the beating, of course that is simply 'not on' as they say and charges should be given...but somehow I doubt it.

Jomtien beach have sign

No music 2000 baht fine 

But ofcores police never give all this noisy Thai fines 

5 hours ago, sweatalot said:

hopefully now the bar's licence will be revoked and the perpetrators punished appropriately. Things like this makes one feel there is no legal security in this otherwise beautiful country

Nah it will business as usual after brown envelopes are handed over

Such uncouth and unruly behaviour really does not make one want to stay anywhere near Pattaya.....had it been an isolated incident ok such things can happen....but reports are regularly flowing in on the wild west attitude from Pattaya operators...it is becomming a no man's lawless land....

(no offence please to the usual agressive pro-Pattaya lawyers who will surely once again bash me here, but the facts speak for themselves)

1 hour ago, HarrySeaman said:

I live 100 feet/30 meters from the French Garden Restaurant.

It is NOT a bar, it is a very good French restaurant run by a very nice French couple.  They do have alcohol to go their food but not once since they opened a couple of years ago have I ever heard loud music or heard or seen drunken customers.  Last night I slept with the windows open and I certainly didn't hear any unusual noises.

My understanding is that the Norwegian is the one who got drunk and eventually caused trouble.  I don't know who beat him up, and while nobody deserves to be beaten up, my guess is that he brought it on himself.

One silly case of poor quality reporting and a sensational headline is all it takes to ruin the reputation of a fine restaurant.

Ignore this crappy report and go try out the restaurant yourself, you won't be disappointed.  Here is the Google map showing the location.

Location of French Garden Restaurant

I guess I am a sounder sleeper than I thought.

I talked to my neighbors and they said that yes, there was a disturbance at the French Garden Restaurant last night and that sometimes the customers do raise their voices late in the evening.  Don't know about any loud music.  The loudest noises I usually hear when I wake up in the middle of the night are the motorcycles racing up and down Thappraya Rd.

I will stand by my assessment of the food though.  It is good food and at a reasonable price.  Apparently you just shouldn't go for dinner late at night.

6 hours ago, sweatalot said:

hopefully now the bar's licence will be revoked and the perpetrators punished appropriately. Things like this makes one feel there is no legal security in this otherwise beautiful country

Being a bar and again assuming its legal then there must be plenty of CCTV footage! If bar erased theirs then simple"Guilty"

6 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Guess what ? There is not.

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

The local council have the authority to warn, give notice for improvements needed, and if need be force closure of any establishment in or near a residential area which is deemed a public nuisance. That's the law but....

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Norwegian, 57, was waiting inside his house with his Thai transvestite companion.

So, was his complaint to be discounted because he is gay?  TMI indicates discrimination!  I presume that Thailand will become like Russia where gays are beaten freely!

4 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Not sure that the outcome would have been different, but did he go in there all fired up yelling at them, or did he quietly request?

Possibly he quietly requested them to turn the noise down but they did not hear above the din so he raised his voice.

7 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Yes immediate suspension 

sorry but ,one would have to be a fool to think a bar would ask its party people to ''keep it down''.living downtown ,my complaint is the little thais with the scooters with the lowd mufflers...it has become unbearable...