Police nab 325 foreigners in overstay cases in Surat Thani province

webfact

2 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Yes, I am sure you are right about the Indian Overstayers. There must be a high demand for there tailoring skills. which they can't get a W.P. for. On the other hand they must also have some connection with other Indians to be able to do this.

All tailor made clothing is made by Thai on Samui. 

The Indian tailors just have the material and the shops. 

The shop owners are legal, the once that got nabbed is the touts outside. 

6 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Yes, I am sure you are right about the Indian Overstayers. There must be a high demand for there tailoring skills. which they can't get a W.P. for. On the other hand they must also have some connection with other Indians to be able to do this. Who wants to take the risk of hiring an illegal worker, and risk getting kicked out of the country yourself if caught? 

But for this Japanese Guy who avoided getting caught for 14 years, that sure is a long time to hide from the law. When you can be asked at any moment on the street for your Passport, or stopped at a road side check, or having a beer in any bar, or working anywhere illegally and never being questioned.

It just seems amazing to me he could do this for so long and get away with it for so long. So this is why I wonder how he did that. 

Thanks for your comments.

I've been coming to Samui since fall 2001, and I've resided here permanently since 2005. During that 16-years in total I've never ever been stopped, or even asked about identification – during the first years I always carried my passport just in case – of course apart from banking business and like, and my visits to Immigration.

I know of a regular guest in a local Sports Pub, where friends of mine used to hang out, that because of some serious reason needed to go a trip back to Britain, a few years ago. He worried al little, even he had the money for the fine – that was before the Law with re-entry bans came into action – as he had overstayed in Samui for 23-years...:whistling:

Even the night, or rather early morning, when the military raided, and thereafter closed, Sound Club a few years ago, all foreign-looking guests were let out without any ID check, only Thai look-alike needed to prove they were not citizens, to be allowed outside without a time-consuming drug-test. I know, because I was there, and had to wait outside – no even allowed to stay inside, looking too farang – for my girlfriend to be cleared.

At least up til now, it has been possible to "hide" for long-time at Samui...:smile:

8 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

...the once that got nabbed is the touts outside.

Sincere thanks, I'm so happy to learn that, as I'm really tired of the Indian guys outside the tailor shops trying to sell me suits, and when I'm not interested, they try to convince me to have tailored blue jeans...:ermm:

Hello, do my blue jeans really look that misfit..?:whistling:

10 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

He has just paid the police their share just like the 325 Indian tailor touts nabbed. 

So are you saying he stopped paying, or that something has changed?

All that I have been saying as that coming to Thailand with a few hundred dollars (or more) and staying here 14 years without working here leaglly or overseas, is no easy task. I honestly don't think I could do that without some outside job to pay the Bills or living off my savings. 

I just don't think that everyone is a Natural Born Criminal. I personally could survie better in the Wild without money than I coud on the streets of Bangkok or Pattaya. Maybe you can and find this easy. But I highly doubt everyone can.  

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your comments.

I've been coming to Samui since fall 2001, and I've resided here permanently since 2005. During that 16-years in total I've never ever been stopped, or even asked about identification – during the first years I always carried my passport just in case – of course apart from banking business and like, and my visits to Immigration.

I know of a regular guest in a local Sports Pub, where friends of mine used to hang out, that because of some serious reason needed to go a trip back to Britain, a few years ago. He worried al little, even he had the money for the fine – that was before the Law with re-entry bans came into action – as he had overstayed in Samui for 23-years...:whistling:

Even the night, or rather early morning, when the military raided, and thereafter closed, Sound Club a few years ago, all foreign-looking guests were let out without any ID check, only Thai look-alike needed to prove they were not citizens, to be allowed outside without a time-consuming drug-test. I know, because I was there, and had to wait outside – no even allowed to stay inside, looking too farang – for my girlfriend to be cleared.

At least up til now, it has been possible to "hide" for long-time at Samui...:smile:

Not saying it isn't possible if you keep a low profile.

Can I ask that in these 16 years where your money to live came from? That if you didn't have any of this income you could survive nicely there for 16 years? I think that is more to the point then going to the pub a couple of times a week and not being stopped.  

10 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

12 years on the rock, never shown my passport except at immigration, not even at the airport, my Thai DL is accepted as ID there. 

I had to produce my Passport in order for me to get my Thai DL. So which came first? The Chicken or the Egg? 

The main point is not being stopped to produce your Passport. I have never been stopped either. But I keep a low profile and I have money coming in by legal means. The main point is surviving here 14 years without being stopped or producing your passport, but also surviving. 

If you money all diappeared today, could you do that for another 16 years?  

4 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Can I ask that in these 16 years where your money to live came from? That if you didn't have any of this income you could survive nicely there for 16 years? I think that is more to the point then going to the pub a couple of times a week and not being stopped.  

I fail to see what my income, legally living in Thailand, has to do with someone else staying under the radar.

However, as I have nothing to hide, of course you can have an answer to your question:

From 2001 till 2005 I came first as Visa-waived tourist, with permission to stay (up to) 30-days at each entry, and later during that period also on a 1-year Non-Immigrant Visa, allowed when one is over 50-years old, with 90-days stays and permission for re-entries. When applying I used my homeland savings to show that I could afford to live in the Kingdom.

From september 2005 I stayed on Non-Immigrant Visa, and after "checking out" of my home-country end of 2006 – had to do with selling property, before allowed to check out and change tax-status – I got permissions for extension of stay in the Kingdom, based on retirement. No questions asked about where money comes from, if one can provide a bank-account with minimum 800,000 matured baht; but I've always shown my ATM-bankbook at Immigration, to where I transfer funds from my homeland savings, to cover my living expenses. I also have minor income in Thailand, both withheld-taxed interest from my "visa-deposit", and very small taxed dividends from a few SET-stocks, but questions have never been asked if I live from homeland savings, or savings in Thailand, or dividend/interest from savings. One can legally move all one's savings into Thailand, and live from that...:wink:

I believe that you are more interested in those that lived – or still are living – under the radar. When you are under the radar, I presume that no one cares from where your funds comes. I got no idea about the mentioned fellow overstaying for 23-years. I may also myself have met "overstayers", but as I don't ask people, how they manage to stay on the island, or how they pay for their stay, I don't know; however a few talks unsolicited about it, and some say they are living from savings, or dividends from savings, but I got no idea if they are also overstaying.

:smile:

Edited by khunPer

On 23/12/2017 at 10:22 PM, GOLDBUGGY said:

I'm rich. ?

• 3 weeks later...