Chinese Tourists Could Cause Years of Misery for Thai Airports

webfact

1 hour ago, Valentine said:

The Chinese are making very few people mega rich (likely more mega rich than they already are) as the tours only go to selected places to shop, eat & visit. The man on the street does not benefit the same as they used to when they were able to attract walk by customers.

It's a little naive of you to think that tourism policy was designed so that the "man on the street" benefits. Why should he benefit for doing nothing?  It's Business people that do all the work attracting and arranging tours, so it's only natural the benefits of tourism go mostly to these people. 

And besides why the hell should the success of tourism be measured in how much money "the average man on the street" benefits? Next you'll be proposing mandatory minimum spending quotas for all foreign tourists.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

“Our strategy was more for less, not less for more, so we invited a lot of tourists from China,” said Suvit Maesincee, in an interview last month, when he was the minister attached to the Prime Minister’s office. “I think in the near future we need to change from volume to value.”

I suppose that's one way to insult the Chinese!  Another government minister with his foot in his mouth; keep it up mate, they'll go elsewhere!  Problem solved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Just rule in drastic visa regulations for the Chinese, before arrival, and problem solved overnight.

I've been suggesting that for a while now. Too bad government officials don't look at ex-pat forums. Charge 1000 baht (or more) per chinese head as they come in through customs! What could be easier? They are all here for "1" reason and it's not for the so called white-sand beaches. It's a "CHEAP" holiday. That's it, a cheap holiday with little or no spending!  

3 minutes ago, varun said:

Typical Thai trait of blaming everyone/everything around them, except themselves.

The years of misery are caused not by Chinese tourists, 

but the inept watch-flashing, kickback-taking, non-asset declaring,

dissent-squashing & jetski-scamming Somchai's and their band of cronies.

If the amount these incompetent idiots wasted in purchasing GT200 bomb detectors, submarines, radar guns, digital clocks and overpriced microphones was instead, invested in infrastructure, we would be in a very different place right now.

Som nam na. 

Well said.

We were at the floating market some time ago and even the woman at the toilet was complaining how they try to sneak in so as not to have to pay . As for my wife ,she just tells them to shut up and not shout ,when we are in a store and they will insist on talking so loudly ,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soistalker said:

The Chinese are all very similar to each other; there is very little differentiation between them. And you have two types of Chinese: loud and louder.

I was working with/training a platoon of Taiwanese Army guys once near Taipei.

My translator was a captain, Cpt Kang. Nice guy.

I desperately wanted to get a red hat for him to wear so I could pick him out of the crowd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

dont be too hard on the Chinese tourists,for most of them,its their first ever holiday,i spoke to an elderly couple,and they were just thrilled to have this chance at a holiday out of china,yes they are loud and  yes they are rude,but its the way they live..no one has the luxury of ''their own space'' in china....the blame is totally on the thais who courted the Chinese since 2003 ,with the AMAZING THAILAND '' dog and pony show...yet Thailand still seems to think its military is first priority...AMUSING THAILAND...

• Like 1

Nothing worse than arriving into one of the airports at the same time as a few plane loads of Chinese tourists. My worst nightmare. But they do tend to flock together and leave some queues shorter than others rather the split the pack. 

22 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

As a past tour driver in NZ, I know all their tricks.

Tour guides line them up and charge them for free venues.

They only use Chinese connections to eat and buy souvenirs, they stay in Chinese connected accommodation and use Chinese connected buses .

They are taken to factory shops owned by Chinese and ripped off.

They have to use some things and venues but the shopping and eating transport  and accommodation is largely controlled.

They rip the crap out of their own people.

They are of poor value to the countries economy, only the big rich boys at the top are scoring from them.

The bottom gets B/all.

They smoke and spit everywhere walk over the top of people and create havoc and noise at the airports and restaurants.

When they leave a restaurant it looks like a bomb site with bones and food scraps all over the table and floor.

If the Country wants value instead of quantity then this direction is not where they should be going.

It’s the same in all the countries they visit. Whatever you do don’t stand between them and their photo opportunities. 

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

yes it is all regimented, they are like sheep being herded around by flag waving guides,its a shame realy, they only get to see what the itinery dictates, ever see a chinese person eating street food, i fish a lake at Lat Krabang, and beside it is a chinese restaurant, every 30 minutes a coach load of chinese would pull up,  must gobble their grub down as right behind them was another bus full,waiting their turn, so the dollar tours are still thriving, putting jack shit into the economy

yes exactly, seems the same whatever country they go to.

1 hour ago, wombat said:

falang have been causing misery since the first one arrived way back when.  so whats new?

Nothing changes it just rearranges.

"Misery"? I wouldn't mind a bit of the financial misery that has been brought in since "way back when", and this "boom" of Chinese tourists is what TAT have been planning/wishing for (as usual without any forethought for potential problems)

38 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

As a past tour driver in NZ, I know all their tricks.

Tour guides line them up and charge them for free venues.

They only use Chinese connections to eat and buy souvenirs, they stay in Chinese connected accommodation and use Chinese connected buses .

They are taken to factory shops owned by Chinese and ripped off.

They have to use some things and venues but the shopping and eating transport  and accommodation is largely controlled.

They rip the crap out of their own people.

They are of poor value to the countries economy, only the big rich boys at the top are scoring from them.

The bottom gets B/all.

They smoke and spit everywhere walk over the top of people and create havoc and noise at the airports and restaurants.

When they leave a restaurant it looks like a bomb site with bones and food scraps all over the table and floor.

If the Country wants value instead of quantity then this direction is not where they should be going.

TAT got what they wished for, and bragged about!

• Like 1