Chinese Tourists Could Cause Years of Misery for Thai Airports

webfact

11 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

“I think in the near future we need to change from volume to value.”

You need to come up with a plan quick smart, a plan other than the much repeated and flawed Quality Tourist mantra.

Can you do it or are volumes, ripe for the picking preferred by scammers and the other assorted riff raff that loiter at tourist destinations.

As this sounds like a good idea worth looking into , nothing will happen ...................

• Like 1

Look back on my previous posts & you will find the above all laid out in some detail.

The infrastructure required for the returns is just not worth the effort.

The only winner is the CP Group as 7/11's will be doing well (ie: make the wealthy Thais wealthier)

A hotel I used to stay at in lower Sukhumvit which takes 4 or 5 busloads a night now has a buffet breakfast

which for 2 hours looks like a zoo. They never use the restaurant for lunch or dinner, never spend any 

money in the bar & are very noisy, unclean, disrespectful of property & other people

so now we  have our conferences & meetings in Siagon (Ho Chi) Thailand take note (600 room nights a year

at double the room rate these monkeys are paying.

But also, Do not forget the Bosses train to Korat is more important

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ginjag said:

Last month staying at the Grand Palace Jomptien,  OH MY GOD, reception clogged all day,  breakfast like a kids canteen, food eaten like pigs and endless queues for buffet..

Crowds on the outside steps-entrance smoking and spitting,  lifts a no go, floor corridors noisy,  buses in and out of the entrance.  This 5 day stay was a nightmare for NORMAL tourists.

I try not to generalise, but your description perfectly illustrates my experiences of Chinese tourists too! I would also add queue jumping and ALL conversations spoken (shouted) at maximum volume. Their manners do leave a lot to be desired :wacko:

• Like 2

Well they wanted Big numbers,,,,But big numbers of Chinese bring in Small amounts of THB,,,, they need smaller numbers of Different tourist of different countries that will spend  Big.
All world currency apart from the USA dollar are in the toilet. Most Europeans are now holidaying in Europe.

Thailand are lucky to have the Chinese and they know it.

Chinese spend well in bangkok and phuket but they have no interest in the Pattaya freak show apart from a quick look and off to BKK!!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, foxboy said:

I try not to generalise, but your description perfectly illustrates my experiences of Chinese tourists too! I would also add queue jumping and ALL conversations spoken (shouted) at maximum volume. Their manners do leave a lot to be desired :wacko:

Well having travelled in China for many years (much of it small towns and rural) and having done business with the Chinese I can say that it is like most countries, some good people and some truly awful.  The description above is pretty much spot on and the spitting is second nature to the majority of the middle aged and older.  They tend to be pretty cold blooded, rude and without any social skills as we westerners understand them.  But that is in their country and so that is up to them.

Coming to Thailand and acting the same way is, to be fair to them, all they know and they therefore think their behaviour is normal.  I do find them very irritating but then I find the drunken ignorant European (mainly British) yobs you find in Pattaya irritating as well

10 hours ago, soistalker said:

The Chinese are all very similar to each other; there is very little differentiation between them. And you have two types of Chinese: loud and louder.

The paradox is when Thais Tavel in groups around Europe for example, they are as loud as Chinese and leave garbage everywhere. I don’t understand this Chinese bashing when Thais aren’t behaving better when they go abroad!

• Like 2

In Pattaya they are dropped by a bus at the beginning of walkingstreet. The groups runs to the other side near the pier where the bus will arrive in 20 minutes. This to pick them up and dump them in a cheap hotel. Here they get there buffet dinner go to bed and next morning in the bus again. How much fun you can endure

"Chinese tourists could cause misery", Sorry, but why blame the tourists, this sounds like usual Thai trick: Blame others while the real problem is lack of development of Thai infrastructure and greed that has caused Thailand to welcome too many tourists when the well-paying tourists left years ago due to the junta and the overrun and overprized tourist areas

16 hours ago, madmitch said:

The street stalls near me are full of Chinese customers (also Russians).

For some reason they believe as it's street food it's good and cheap. They couldn't be more wrong. Double-pricing is the norm with tourists paying 20 baht for a BBQ stick that locals buy for 10 baht. Fried rice, phad Thai and other basic dishes sell at 100-120 baht, and it's of a quality that local Thais wouldn't eat at 50 baht. Four or five stalls have grown to maybe 12-15 in the last couple of years as more people jump on the bandwagon, and of course this allows the landowners to charge more as well for the rental of the increasingly crowded plot.

Yes but they get a birds eye view of 7 eleven.

I dont think the Thai government gives a damn about poor infrastructure and the inconvenience it causes. The problem is the lack of cash these Chinese tourists are bringing in. TAT passenger figures may be accurate ( sort of ) but the related boasts of huge annual percentage increases in revenue are patent nonsense.

17 hours ago, Zack61 said:

It’s the same in all the countries they visit. Whatever you do don’t stand between them and their photo opportunities. 

True story, when I was taking wedding photos with my wife after our wedding here in NZ, initially a busload stood in front of our photographer and photographed us, so heavily that our own photographer could not get snaps - there were at least 30 of them.

I was then pushed out of the way by a lovely mainland man (yes, he spoke Mandarin and not Cantonese) so that he could take photos of himself over the lookout (we had not managed to get a single photo from our photographer at this point). Imagine having to lose your cool at such scum on one of the most special days of your ladies life, not what I had hoped for. I was unable to smile after that moment, their poor behavior ruined a good part of our day, their behavior and lack of understanding was unforgivable.

Since that day, these people and their behavior have stood in my mind as the absolute lowest scum - I do not pity them and have zero patience for them and their lack of awareness of surroundings (hint, you leave China you are no longer in China and different rules apply).

Edited by TheGhostWithin

23 hours ago, champers said:

Oh dear, what a spoilsport you are, disrupting the rantathon by introducing facts.

At a prime location in Pattaya a Chinese estate/property agent has just opened for business. Many high spending Chinese are here and more and more will come.

If you don't like seeing lots of Asians, you are in the wrong place in Thailand.

The Chinese estate agent that opened just by walking street has already closed down , the sort of Chinese that are buying are the ones who are rich and buying to let out on short stays ,like the Base , also many rich Chinese are buying blocks of empty shops to upgrade to places where tour groups can shop . Pattaya really only attracts the sort of tour groups Spain attracted from the UK in the 60s and 70s . low end all in tours

• Like 1

23 hours ago, csabo said:

You will rarely see any Chinese even in a 7-11.

I beg to differ. 7-11's near to Chinese hotels are packed. They cram in there, buy SIM's and instant noodles. They then spend the next half hour jamming the aisles (there's not much room in a 7-11) eating their noodles, having shouted conversations and getting free air con.

• Haha 1

Not just airports.

I stopped at a popular mall food court, sat down with my food and within 5 minutes I was surrounded by a traveling group of 6-7 Chinese.  They wear all hunkered down over their plates and bowls, shoveling in as much food as they could fit in their mouths and then yelling across the table to eat other, spitting out food as they did.  In amazement I didn't have the forethought to video it.  It was classic, hilarious, annoying...

• Like 2

As frustrating as the Chinese, en masse, can be, is this 'airport misery' thread really fair to them as a faction of humankind - our brothers or, at least, our long-distance cousins, in fact? Surely, given that Chinese tourist numbers should have been factored into the planning of Thailand's prestige airport, the misery must lie at the door of grossly inadequate customs/immigration provision. 3 months ago, we had the ludicrous situation where the management at Suvarnabhumi blamed the fact that there were a large number of arrivals 'all-at-once' . . . how laughable was that? . . . how totally Thai was that?

The anticipated misery will not happen if the number of manned Customs points is increased - they have the space for more desks and they cost next to nothing - and, by 'manned', I mean staffed by officers who appear to be enjoying their work and who get satisfaction from doing this important task as quickly as it could possibly be done, as opposed to the utterly pissed-off looking bunch that we are typically met with. Some 'Hello to Thailand', eh? Like nearly every branch of Thai officialdom, Thai airport staff show little better than total lethargy and disinterest. Is it too much for them to return the smile offered by an arriving visitor from any place in the world . . . a Chinese, even?

Edited by Ossy
omission
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

Not just airports.

I stopped at a popular mall food court, sat down with my food and within 5 minutes I was surrounded by a traveling group of 6-7 Chinese.  They wear all hunkered down over their plates and bowls, shoveling in as much food as they could fit in their mouths and then yelling across the table to eat other, spitting out food as they did.  In amazement I didn't have the forethought to video it.  It was classic, hilarious, annoying...

And I was told to regard everyone on this planet as a distant cousin . . . I'm having second thoughts, now. Thanks, Nowisee!

On 22/12/2017 at 7:03 AM, mok199 said:

greedy Thai's all wanted a piece of the ''Chinese pie'', all those Chinese with money and new passports,was easy pickings for thailand......what Thailand got was the whole enchilada,...

Destroying there environment and changing the once interesting image of the country. China will take over. Good luck to them. There a rude dirty race and don't have much to offer..The 7 elevens and airports and government attractions benefit here.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2017 at 9:08 AM, Time Traveller said:

It's a little naive of you to think that tourism policy was designed so that the "man on the street" benefits. Why should he benefit for doing nothing?  It's Business people that do all the work attracting and arranging tours, so it's only natural the benefits of tourism go mostly to these people. 

And besides why the hell should the success of tourism be measured in how much money "the average man on the street" benefits? Next you'll be proposing mandatory minimum spending quotas for all foreign tourists.

:clap2: