Big Bikes banned from National Parks until when.

Denim

Just reading the news that big bikes are to be banned from national parks. I can understand why but was wondering is this just for the new year or is it permanent ?  A couple of friends are coming in January and were hoping to combine some biking with a bit of camping. Will be a bit disappointed if it is a permanent thing.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I guess your talking large park areas where you can camp, the Historical park next to our village has only allowed walk in or bicycles, hired electric vehicle or a tram tour in the park for a long time now. 

Talking about this :

https://www.thephuketnews.com/park-chiefs-add-big-bikes-to-banned-list-65218.php#DuCZo5yRr4GO0TP3.97

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Oh well maybe it's too many noisy exhausts.

I guess they won't mine noisy car exhausts though. 

While they were at it might just as well have banned large gangs arriving on Honda waves. Exhausts on them can be just as noisy.

Ah well.....will just pass on the news to my friends and let them decide on their route.

47 minutes ago, Denim said:

While they were at it might just as well have banned large gangs arriving on Honda waves. Exhausts on them can be just as noisy.

Ah well.....will just pass on the news to my friends and let them decide on their route.

Fair call, it had me thinking, dangerous I know :biggrin: but this guy coming up with this hasn't thought it through.

What cc. do they consider big bikes start at,  going by CTPL 150cc I guess.

What if someone was to turn up on a big electric bike. 

31 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Fair call, it had me thinking, dangerous I know :biggrin: but this guy coming up with this hasn't thought it through.

What cc. do they consider big bikes start at,  going by CTPL 150cc I guess.

What if someone was to turn up on a big electric bike. 

Would have made more sense to just ban large groups of people. I was at Khao Nor once when a couple of coaches carrying school kids turned up.

Were they quiet ? Nope.

25 minutes ago, Denim said:

Would have made more sense to just ban large groups of people. I was at Khao Nor once when a couple of coaches carrying school kids turned up.

Were they quiet ? Nope.

Yeah, children are so much more unpleasant and deserving of being banned from National Parks than bloody bikes, aren't they?

Edited by Just Weird

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Yeah, children are so much more unpleasant and deserving of being banned from National Parks than bloody bikes, aren't they?

I'm not the one complaining about the noise. It's the Nation Parks authority that says noise is a nuisance.  My point is why single out a single group if that is their issue ?

"Noise pollution is the main reason the department cited for the ban. 
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/park-chiefs-add-big-bikes-to-banned-list-65218.php#KwQFmIvGvY9PbUrP.99

Their argument is that loud noises disturb the wildlife.  Obviously, people believe that not all loud noises are the same.

22 hours ago, Denim said:

These people running the show are beyond morons.  Most modern large bikes are no more loud than modern cars.  Ok.  Harleys and modified bikes are loud.  But that is like a small percentage of large bikes.  Sorry, you can't bring your <BMW, Ducati, Honda Goldwing, etc into the park because it will disturb the ecosphere> but trucks, diesels, and various old cars belching smoke are OK.  This is simply stupid beyond belief.  Now when my friends who are looking for pristine beaches  or taking motorcycle tours - well, I'll tell them to go somewhere other than Thailand.  But hey! The have so many Chinese tourists they are complaining that they are a problem.  "Bad Chinese cause big problem for understaffed Thai immigration."  Boo hoo. 
Keep driving a stake though the heart of farang tourism.  You know, the type of tourism that most Thais benefit from.  What I hear on the streets is, "No farangs; big problem."
This is what happens when HiSos run the country and are completely out of touch with the average citizenry.  But.  That is not unique to Thailand by any means.

Edited by connda

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

So having to pay 1,000 % more as a Farang than a Thai is not enough bullying. Imagine riding for a few days to be enter a National Park and find the no big bike policy.

Go to Vietnam, far cheaper and so much more scenic!

At least you will avoid paying the 1,000% more for entry.

No alcohol in national parks.  No noise after 10pm.  No shampoo in waterfalls.  Some of them have banned foam now.  Noisy/polluting bikes being banned makes sense when you see the sort of peace and quiet they're trying to promote.   Lots of places to drive noisy bikes.  I don't think they belong in national parks.

No alcohol in national parks.  No noise after 10pm.  No shampoo in waterfalls.  Some of them have banned foam now.  Noisy/polluting bikes being banned makes sense when you see the sort of peace and quiet they're trying to promote.   Lots of places to drive noisy bikes.  I don't think they belong in national parks.

1 hour ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Banned shampoo and foam in National parks......how does one shower.....end of the world as we know it!

Everything should be banned in a national park. Whats the saying in Australia.......leave only footprints and take only photos.

Leave them as pristine as can be. If you cannot walk to whatever is the attraction.....bad luck....you missed out.

Once, as a previous poster said, electric carts etc are introduced then the whole concept is stuffed.

Have a huge car park and camping grounds by all means....park busses there if needed...but the actual park, you walk and take whatever you need with you - and bring it all back. SoShit in a bag if necessary otherwise the whole park will eventually fade away.

1 hour ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

My pet peeve is loud obnoxious bikes, and I'm a serious big bike rider. However, these idiot bureaucrats are not banning noisy polluting bikes. They are singling out big bikes which makes no sense. Some of these big bikes are so quiet, and have the lowest emissions of all, for example some of the touring BMWs with catalytic converters, and even electric big bikes. The only safety drawback with them is that they are sometimes dangerous to people and wildlife, as they are so quiet, you do not even hear them coming.  In some events, these types of quiet bikes have required to be fitted with car alarms blaring while riding so that spectators on tracks can hear them coming and get out of the way. 

If sound is an issue, use a decibel meter and ban anything entering the parks over 95 decibels: loud scooters, busses, trucks, cars, stereos, and screaming kids.

I hope it gets rescinded as soon as possible as they discover that it has no effect, other than drive more tourism away from this country.

22 minutes ago, papa al said:

What displacement is the limit?

Good question Papa Al. As this rule has nothing to do with common sense, past experience leads me to believe that if they think your bike appears bigger than the one they drove to work, or you are wearing good full face helmets, gloves, and proper protective motorcycle clothing, you won't get in. 

Well.....it might just be a storm in a tea cup like the no sitting in the back of pick up trucks. Enforced during public holidays but otherwise ignored.

Hopefully after new year has passed it will be everything back to normal.

Agree with Gold Stars comments. If noise is the issue get tooled up and start measuring every group that makes an excessive noise. Won't happen of course because TIT.

3 hours ago, Gold Star said:

If sound is an issue, use a decibel meter and ban anything entering the parks over 95 decibels: loud scooters, busses, trucks, cars, stereos, and screaming kids.

I see your point but most big bikes are noisy.  Not all, granted.  And the ones that are noisy are often very noisy, louder than any sound a car would make.  It's easier to ban the lot and unfairly persecute a few quiet bikes than it is to start testing every vehicle with decibel meters.

15 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

There are more Thais on "big" bikes than law abiding foreigners. Also almost no Thai big bikes have stock exhausts , except maybe the BMW adventure guys with the large empty metal panniers.rolleyes.png 

If Thais would respect their own laws/national parks by riding slowly and quietly then this legislation would be unnecessary. I think Khao Yai is the biggest loss as it has a through road.

Edited by VocalNeal

20 hours ago, Denim said:

I'm not the one complaining about the noise. It's the Nation Parks authority that says noise is a nuisance.  My point is why single out a single group if that is their issue ?

"Noise pollution is the main reason the department cited for the ban. 
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/park-chiefs-add-big-bikes-to-banned-list-65218.php#KwQFmIvGvY9PbUrP.99

Their argument is that loud noises disturb the wildlife.  Obviously, people believe that not all loud noises are the same.

"My point is why single out a single group if that is their issue ?"

So you then single out children!  No hypocricy there, eh?

"Their argument is that loud noises disturb the wildlife.  Obviously, people believe that not all loud noises are the same".

And some people, like you, believe that children make the same noise as loud bikes!

Edited by Just Weird

19 hours ago, chrissables said:

So having to pay 1,000 % more as a Farang than a Thai is not enough bullying. Imagine riding for a few days to be enter a National Park and find the no big bike policy.

Go to Vietnam, far cheaper and so much more scenic!

Which parks charge 1000% more for foreigners?