What to do when condo gym is falling into disrepair?

dfdgfdfdgs

It's not my condo, it's my friends.  The gym costs me 100 baht a year (the cost my friend paid for the additional card), so I'm getting good value whichever way you look at it.  But my friend who owns the condo is paying 14,000 baht a month rent and they signed that contract expecting a working gym.

The gym is pretty small considering the size of the development.  About 10 machines total.  It's a 30-storey building with about 20 rooms per floor.  The building is about 1-2 years old.  The main machine (multi-gym type thing) is completely broken and has no scheduled fixing date (there's just a dash  on the out of order sign where the date should be).  Most of the other machines work but they're tired and starting to fall apart already.

I understand some residents have already complained to management but nothing has been done.  What are you supposed to do in this situation or are you just expected to put up with it?  Hypothetically would it be grounds for early termination of the contract?

1 hour ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

she.  renter.

She could take it up with the landlord (owner) to get the gym sorted as a part-owner of the property but ultimately, life's too short so moving out would probably be the best move if the non-functioning gym is seen as a deal-breaker.

It varies a lot. The condo I own in BKK gets regular upgrades to equipment and is a 1st class gym even after 10 years

How is it you get to have a card when you don't live there? So there lays your answer, probably a hundred second cards being handed out to non residant and massive load on the gear

3 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

How is it you get to have a card when you don't live there?

Every room is allowed 2 cards.  She stays alone so gave me the second card allocation.

I think at that sort of pricepoint (14,000) a lot of the younger Thais will be sharing 2 (or more) to a room, more than they might on a 5,000 baht room, for example.

But still, I would have thought the equipment should be maintained as and when it becomes faulty.  Especially in a fairly high-end condo.  Apparently not.

If I was an owner I’d play merry hell in the office and at the AGM. 

If renting, I’d move at end of contract. 
Yep this. Ultimately it's up to the owners to demand an explanation however if the building is predominantly "rental" then the owners might not even be aware or even worse don't care.

Checking the facilities is up to the renters. If the pool and gym are rundown then it's an easy decision but a bit late after lease has be signed. So no there is no "clause" for an early exit.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

She could take it up with the landlord (owner) to get the gym sorted as a part-owner of the property but ultimately, life's too short so moving out would probably be the best move if the non-functioning gym is seen as a deal-breaker.

She is renting, not a part owner

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

What to do when condo gym is falling into disrepair?

Offer to fix it? Rather than simply complaining.

And after you trained yourself in fixing gym equipment and bought all the tools and spare parts, offer the management to also sweep and mob the floors weekly, exterminate all bugs, and repaint the outside and insides of the whole building. All for free of course.

19 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

If I was an owner I’d play merry hell in the office and at the AGM. 

If renting, I’d move at end of contract. 

A tenant has no power at the AGM.

You have to complain to the landlord and threathen to leave on the basis of poor upkeep of facilities in writing. He or she can then present that to the Juristic and threaten not to pay the annual maintenance as a result of loss of rent.

2 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

You have to complain to the landlord and threathen to leave on the basis of poor upkeep of facilities in writing. He or she can then present that to the Juristic and threaten not to pay the annual maintenance as a result of loss of rent.

That’s why I said move out at the end of your contract if a tenant. 

He or she will tell them to hit the road and forfeit 2 months deposit.

This ain't the West. Only other option is to get a lawyer but that will cost at least as much

It's not my condo, it's my friends.  The gym costs me 100 baht a year (the cost my friend paid for the additional card), so I'm getting good value whichever way you look at it.  But my friend who owns the condo is paying 14,000 baht a month rent and they signed that contract expecting a working gym.

The gym is pretty small considering the size of the development.  About 10 machines total.  It's a 30-storey building with about 20 rooms per floor.  The building is about 1-2 years old.  The main machine (multi-gym type thing) is completely broken and has no scheduled fixing date (there's just a dash  on the out of order sign where the date should be).  Most of the other machines work but they're tired and starting to fall apart already.

I understand some residents have already complained to management but nothing has been done.  What are you supposed to do in this situation or are you just expected to put up with it?  Hypothetically would it be grounds for early termination of the contract?
your friend stay at centric sea ?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 9 mit Tapatalk

18 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Every room is allowed 2 cards.  She stays alone so gave me the second card allocation.

I think at that sort of pricepoint (14,000) a lot of the younger Thais will be sharing 2 (or more) to a room, more than they might on a 5,000 baht room, for example.

But still, I would have thought the equipment should be maintained as and when it becomes faulty.  Especially in a fairly high-end condo.  Apparently not.

Isn't the gym only meant for residents?  The second card is for a second occupant which you are not? 

Isn't the gym only meant for residents?  The second card is for a second occupant which you are not? 
Yep that's what I said. It's not meant to be sold to anybody with a 100 baht.

Our condo requires floor specific lift passes as well as passing through sliding door scanners at the entrance and getting by reception who will pull you up if they don't know you and only then can you access the gym pool with another card.

It's the only way to keep scabs out.
Sorry OP but you are part of the problem

2 hours ago, torrzent said:

Not this one.  Non-residents can use it but have to pay 50 baht (and come with a resident).

The card is probably meant only for residents, so I'm cheating them out of 50 baht every day in that respect.

2 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Our condo requires floor specific lift passes as well as passing through sliding door scanners at the entrance and getting by reception who will pull you up if they don't know you and only then can you access the gym pool with another card.

Exactly the same procedure at this condo except they don't notice/care who is coming and going.  Too many rooms/people for them to be able to recognise everyone.

Exactly the same procedure at this condo except they don't notice/care who is coming and going.  Too many rooms/people for them to be able to recognise everyone.
So how did you end up needing to buy a gym card in a broken down tiny gym and then as a non residant try to get advice here on how management should fix it?

Why don't you just join a good gym?

These days all sub 10 year condos have a gym... What condo do you live in?

I live in an apartment.  No gym or pool.  Nearest public pool is Ekkamai or Phrom Phong which is 20 minutes from me after I've walked to the BTS and gone 2-4 stops.

Her condo is a 2-minute walk away so it's perfect for me.  I'd still have bought the card even if there was no gym, just for the pool.

Thread was just hypothetical really.  I don't want or need to complain, it's none of my business.  I was just curious what your rights would be as a renter/owner.  If I was paying 14,000 a month I'd be p****d off.

All you can do is move. It is not grounds for early termination and if he does he will just lose his deposit. Which regardless if he is a good tenant or not, he still stands a better than 50/50 chance he will lose his deposit when he moves out anyway. Many Condo Owners consider the deposit as there money right from the start. So in reality moving now won't change a thing for him as far as getting his money back.  

I once moved into a modern complex of housing which had a nice swimming pool and club house. But shortly after I moved it the swimming pool was shut down due to a leak in the bottom of this pool. With no swimming pool the club house soon shutdown also. 

We were told that this swimming pool will be repair right away. But after a year, and my lease expired, they still never did a thing to fix it. I came back 2 years later to visit a friend and it still was not fixed. The washing machine which was provided with the house never did work, and the landlord never replaced it. So I had to buy my own. I moved out with proper notice, but the landlord still kept my full deposit because she said she needed this money. 

That is how it works here!  Of course you can fight it, if you have the time and trouble to do so. Easier to just walk away, which I am sure most people do.  

10 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I live in an apartment.  No gym or pool.  Nearest public pool is Ekkamai or Phrom Phong which is 20 minutes from me after I've walked to the BTS and gone 2-4 stops.

Her condo is a 2-minute walk away so it's perfect for me.  I'd still have bought the card even if there was no gym, just for the pool.

Thread was just hypothetical really.  I don't want or need to complain, it's none of my business.  I was just curious what your rights would be as a renter/owner.  If I was paying 14,000 a month I'd be p****d off.

So to summarize, we have a free rider sponging off the facilities at another condo, and posting a hypothetical complaint from the perspective of an owner, which he isn't.  This is for a 14000 baht per month condo to boot! Is that correct?