Claims of gangsters buying police pistols are false, says RTP spokesman

rooster59

Claims of gangsters buying police pistols are false, says RTP spokesman

By The Sunday Nation

6194e3add82e14db3037e04dff88a37e-sld.jpeg

Police across the country come to wait in line to purchase 150,000 pistols endorsed by the Cabinet in 2015.

THE ROYAL Thai Police (RTP) yesterday dismissed speculation on social media that gang members were queuing alongside officers to purchase police pistols.

Pol Colonel Krisana Pattanacharoen, the RTP’s deputy spokesman, said police had not found a single instance of this happening over the past three days that officers had been able to buy pistols for their own use.

Photographs of queues at police headquarters have been circulated on social media along with speculation that some people had been hired to cut into the line and purchase guns for gangsters.

Krisana said that police officers who wanted to buy guns had to stand in the line themselves. The guns they bought were stamped with a personal code identifying the purchaser and this was verified before they were allowed to take the firearm home, he said.

The pistols have been made available under an RTP project that was presented for Cabinet approval in 2015. It makes available 150,000 new Sigsauer P320SP pistols for police to purchase to support them in their work. They can buy a gun for about Bt23,890, which is lower than market price.

The queue for gun purchases at police headquarters has been very long over the past three days, |giving rise to the claims concerning purchases on behalf of gangsters.

Krisana said the RTP could facilitate only 2,500 police waiting in line each day, and so far 40,000 police officers had registered to buy guns. Management of the sale process would be improved after the New Year period, he said. The RTP also planned to distribute 55,000 so-called “social-security pistols” to police stations nationwide. Each station would receive 60 guns, Krisana added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30334651

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-24

35 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

...They can buy a gun for about Bt23,890...

How are they expected to pay for this?

If you have police officers shelling out almost 24,000 Baht for a gun, they will inevitably seek means to recoup the cost.

This is a systemic invitation to corruption. 

Me think that any policemen in Thailand can afford himself to buy a gun,

they have the means to pay for it and more, and if not, there always be

someone who'd 'donate and help' said policeman to purchase one

in lieu of 'future assistance and collaborations', so don't feel sorry for

them, they have been managing very well so far.... 

I have 3 comments (bulleted list for effect :smile:):

• I'm sure the gangstas already have plenty of guns as black market weapons have been flowing into the kingdom for years.  Way back in 2013 an expat buddy of mine was perusing a military apparel and accessories road-side tent setup here in Isaan, the type that pop up frequently and are gone after a week or two.  After a few minutes of casual conversation the merchant invited him to check out some special items behind the tent.  He followed the merchant around to the back and was shocked when the guy opened a crate and inside was a full-auto AK-47 with ammo and spare magazines.  The lot was for sale, and fairly cheap.   My buddy politely refused the offer and left.

• It's a disgrace that Thai police officers have to buy their own pistols.  I think they might even have to buy their own uniforms as well, at least here in Isaan.  It's also a disgrace that most are paid starvation wages and simply can't survive without resorting to corruption to feed their families.

• This New Year's Eve is bound to be even more dangerous than usual since there are always some  Thai cops who drink a bit too much.  Once inebriated, they feel they must carelessly empty full magazines into the air throughout the evening.   This cancer certainly isn't new but it's bound to be worse this year with them showing off their brand new Sigsauer toys.  Run and hide folks!

1 hour ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

• I'm sure the gangstas already have plenty of guns as black market weapons have been flowing into the kingdom for years.  Way back in 2013 an expat buddy of mine was perusing a military apparel and accessories road-side tent setup here in Isaan, the type that pop up frequently and are gone after a week or two.  After a few minutes of casual conversation the merchant invited him to check out some special items behind the tent.  He followed the merchant around to the back and was shocked when the guy opened a crate and inside was a full-auto AK-47 with ammo and spare magazines.  The lot was for sale, and fairly cheap.   My buddy politely refused the offer and left.

• It's a disgrace that Thai police officers have to buy their own pistols.  I think they might even have to buy their own uniforms as well, at least here in Isaan.  It's also a disgrace that most are paid starvation wages and simply can't survive without resorting to corruption to feed their families.

• This New Year's Eve is bound to be even more dangerous than usual since there are always some  Thai cops who drink a bit too much.  Once inebriated, they feel they must carelessly empty full magazines into the air throughout the evening.   This cancer certainly isn't new but it's bound to be worse this year with them showing off their brand new Sigsauer toys.  Run and hide folks!

Number 1: Somebody that engage in selling an AK-47, just took your buddy behind a tent, showed it and then accepted a polite refusal. Sounds a little bit hard to believe, or total amateur criminals.

Number 2: The Thai police have over the average wages per month. How come they can´t survive when all the people in Macro, Tesco and Big C can?

Number 3: I also live in Isaan and never had any problem with police shooting in the air with full magasins. Must be in certain braindamaged areas, though.

1 hour ago, Maejo Man said:

So where will the police sell off all their old S&W model 19's, colt .45's and other assorted relics? To anyone that has the cash, naturally.

Exactly the gangsters won't be buying the sigs, the rtp would be too excited about getting there new heavily subsidised, for Thailand at least, toys. As for all the weapons these sigs are replacing though weeeeell let's just say I'm sure a few may fall into the wrong hands.

42 minutes ago, starky said:

Exactly the gangsters won't be buying the sigs, the rtp would be too excited about getting there new heavily subsidised, for Thailand at least, toys. As for all the weapons these sigs are replacing though weeeeell let's just say I'm sure a few may fall into the wrong hands.

Retail for the Sigsauer P320SP is $879 USD if you buy just one (Google it).

I'll go out on a limb & say a volume discount for buying 150,000 of them might/should apply.

Bt23,890 is $728 USD. so it's 4,936 baht cheaper than retail.

That's not much of a heavy subsidy.

1 hour ago, jaywalker said:

I'll go out on a limb & say a volume discount for buying 150,000 of them might/should apply.

Don't forget the import tax, the shipping and the VAT.

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

Number 1: Somebody that engage in selling an AK-47, just took your buddy behind a tent, showed it and then accepted a polite refusal. Sounds a little bit hard to believe, or total amateur criminals.

It happened.  Believe it or not.  I could care less.

Number 2: The Thai police have over the average wages per month. How come they can´t survive when all the people in Macro, Tesco and Big C can?

Maybe in your area, but not in mine.  I know this because I was an "Assistant Policeman" (volunteer cop*) for a while, along with my buddy who got offered the AK-47, and we got to know many of the local cops since I taught English to them at the police station, among other duties.  I was shocked to learn that the lowest rank cops were making between 6000 and 10000 baht per month.  Of course this was 2013-2014 so I'm hoping, for them, that they've gotten some pay increases since then.  Even if they did, it wouldn't be much because the rural farming districts simply don't have the money to pay them much.

*Still have the uniform.

Number 3: I also live in Isaan and never had any problem with police shooting in the air with full magasins.

LOL, by that I guess you mean you haven't been hit yet.  Well, neither have I, luckily, but it's still a dangerous situation when inebriated police are allowed to abuse firearm privileges and safety goes down the urinal with their used Chang beer.

Must be in certain braindamaged brain-damaged areas, though.

There, fixed it for you.  And, nope, no different that yours pal.

Merry Christmas!

On 12/24/2017 at 8:39 AM, Jimbo in Thailand said:

"What goes up must come down"  look out below!!  Found this outside my office in Juba South Sudan, apparently shot up in the sky and came down right at my doorstep.  7.62mm5a408598a6af1_JubaBullet.jpg.7973d0abb2ed4d0d6be0c7a7f01ef8a0.jpg

Edited by TunnelRat69

On 12/24/2017 at 9:53 AM, Get Real said:

Number 3: I also live in Isaan and never had any problem with police shooting in the air with full magasins. Must be in certain braindamaged areas, though.

In a bar in NKP, a group of us were drinking, about 8 guys, all Americans revisiting our old haunts, all the girls were at our tables, in our laps etc etc, four Thai "Cops" came in demanded girls and whiskey, they were brought a bottle of whiskey, but no girls went over there - all pulled out their handguns, put them on the table, and one even pulled out an old 'baseball' grenade.  Mamasan immediately had a few girls brought in from another bar for them................I have no doubt they would have shot up the place or tossed that grenade, no doubt in my mind.  We threw the girls a tip and left.

19 hours ago, Psimbo said:

I thought the Cops WERE the gangstas.

Clearly, too many are bad eggs, especially those preying on farangs in the tourist areas, but my experience working with them here in Isaan is that most are simply good guys just trying to get by.  The system is so perverted they have to sell their souls to get ahead.  The bad cops that man the horrible checkpoints in Pattaya/Jomtien, for example, typically have to pay a huge amount under the table in advance to get transferred to one of those coveted $$$ locations.  Last I heard, the amount a low ranking street cop has to pay is at least 100,000-200,000 baht.  That's an unbelievably massive amount for the rank and file cop to come up with.   Of course, he's going to massively prey on the tourists to try to get his money back.

Like I said, it's a horrible system and will probably never change since the Thai government will never sufficiently fund police departments nationwide.  Corruption is here to stay, in spite of the bloviating by the military overseers pulling the strings in the former Land of Smiles.  It is what it is.

On 24-12-2017 at 6:42 AM, kaorop said:

Theres more than a few that will want to try out their new 'toy' so keep your heads down people..  And who can distinguish between the 2 groups mentioned?

This is Thailand,not some country where police look for any excuse to shoot people.

On 12/24/2017 at 1:31 PM, jaywalker said:

"for Thailand at least,"  is what I said and if you have been to a gun shop or bought a gun in Thailand you would possibly have better understood my reference. This ain't the US mate. It's apples and oranges...Google it. A glock 19 will run you @500 in the US seen the same model here up to @75000 baht what's that? @2200? Big difference 

Edited by starky

2 hours ago, jvs said:

This is Thailand,not some country where police look for any excuse to shoot people.

Geuss you didnt read last weeks thread about a cop firing a gun in a bank or as he claimed 'dropped it' and shot 2 people....this is the real world many cops become cops cause they get to have and use guns..

6 hours ago, starky said:

"for Thailand at least,"  is what I said and if you have been to a gun shop or bought a gun in Thailand you would possibly have better understood my reference. This ain't the US mate. It's apples and oranges...Google it. A glock 19 will run you @500 in the US seen the same model here up to @75000 baht what's that? @2200? Big difference 

Just because something is stupidly expensive in Thailand doesn't mean that they "should be" more expensive or that it is somehow engraved in the cosmic firmament (though I'll admit that getting it to change has no chance).

Does it make sense that a bottle of mediocre wine costs the same in Thailand if not more than a bottle of premium wine in the US? No it doesn't.

Somebody else mentioned import taxes. So the gov't pays import taxes to itself???

--------------------

I know it is what it is, as I used to involved with a Thai company that imports parts for the Thai military, and they had to mark up the prices by 200% - 300% just to be able to afford the back handers to get the contract(s).

It is what it is, but that doesn't make it right.

Edited by jaywalker