Us 100's to Thai Baht

thaitot

Word of advice, If bringing any currency into Thailand ,make sure they

are in pristine condition,tried to change 500 Pounds Sterling in 50's

Bangkok Bank did not want them ,same at 2 other banks because

of small writing ,numbers etc,finally found bank that changed them OK.

Same problem trying to change Thai Baht in Indonesia,had to go to several

Banks,money changers to find someone who would accept them,all because

notes bit dirty ,written on.

regards Worgeordie       Merry Christmas to all

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You think that’s bad, try changing a Clydesdale bank £20 note.... nae <deleted> chance :)

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

That's weird. Crisp notes can mean laundered money. Money is money, although accountants and money changers know that well-used notes can come with germs best left alone.

1 minute ago, Dustdevil said:

That's weird. Crisp notes can mean laundered money. Money is money, although accountants and money changers know that well-used notes can come with germs best left alone.

I mean no tears ,no writing on them,in clean good condition.

regards worgeordie

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It is not always that the bank did not want them.  It can be because the teller did not want to take a chance that her boss would not want them and force her to take them with a deduction in her pay.  But you are correct that marked or torn money is not easy to exchange.

It can be weird.  A well known much used Singapore money changer put some USD thru his machine and 3 were kicked out.  He said he could not accept them but could not tell me why.  The next shop put them thru their machine and all were accepted.

Merry Christmas to you too.

50 minutes ago, marioc said:

S.K. Sakol Money Exchange

Agree. Good rates and lowest spread I have seen. Other side of the Iron Bridge from Rimping,  Charoen Prathet Road nearly opposite the end of Loi Kroh Road.

yes, ive had same problem while trying to change nz notes, all good condition, but two had pen marks on them-they wouldnt take..also a problem in thailand with any  thai note that has even a small tear-they not like.

it was worse on recent visit to guangzhou--- most of the shops hold the hundred notes up to light to check for fakes.

mc donalds even had a machine to scan the notes.

When we arrived nine years ago, we brought some U.S. money with us and didn't think about how we should have brought new, crisp currency.  We've had trouble using it in the region.  Recently, I had an opportunity for a quick trip back to the U.S. and welcomed the opportunity to unload some of the nine year old tatty currency.  One store held up a $50 note to the light.  I think they've changed U.S. currency in the past nine years, but everything was accepted OK.

Have been refused many times over the years in thai banks, they seem to want clean or newish notes. not ones with writing or numbers on them like the ones many uk banks accept and use.( once in Hua Hin I was refused with nearly new 50 x 10 pound notes in bank, ) Just did not accept them, only 20,s up, I think it was Kas Bank. Now I just bring Very Clean notes.

As I said in a previous similar thread.....try changing USD in Myanmar.....you practically have to iron them first....must be absolutely in pristine condition. I had a 20 dollar note  for three years and ended up giving it to a young thai nephew to add to his currency collection. It was effectively worthless due to a nick in the corner.

Had some tatty notes. Girl in the local SCB took them off me, on the condition I left my number with her and agreed to buy them back off her if there was a problem.

Unfortunately, the pretty young lady hasn't called.

18 hours ago, Dante99 said:

It is not always that the bank did not want them.  It can be because the teller did not want to take a chance that her boss would not want them and force her to take them with a deduction in her pay.  But you are correct that marked or torn money is not easy to exchange.

It can be weird.  A well known much used Singapore money changer put some USD thru his machine and 3 were kicked out.  He said he could not accept them but could not tell me why.  The next shop put them thru their machine and all were accepted.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what would have happened if the first money changer had run them through again.

In the states where vending machines will accept bills as well as coins, it's not at all uncommon to have a dollar bill kicked out, and then sometimes accepted on a 2nd or 3rd pass, or by another vending machine.  Even relatively fresh, untorn, un-dog-eared bills.  For employees working those machines in Thailand, I'm sure they're simply following basic instructions to just let the machine do the thinking, no ifs, ands, or buts.

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what would have happened if the first money changer had run them through again.

In the states where vending machines will accept bills as well as coins, it's not at all uncommon to have a dollar bill kicked out, and then sometimes accepted on a 2nd or 3rd pass, or by another vending machine.  Even relatively fresh, untorn, un-dog-eared bills.  For employees working those machines in Thailand, I'm sure they're simply following basic instructions to just let the machine do the thinking, no ifs, ands, or buts.

He did in fact run them two or three times with the same result.  It was in Singapore and the guy doing it was co owner of a very busy money change office.

Tons of counterfeit currency in circulation, especially high-denomination US and Euro bills...many of the fakes are extremely high-quality with some produced by state-sponsored actors, so anyone in the business of exchange must be very careful.