Best music is from last century?

thaibeachlovers

Rolling Stone mag 1989:

A decade before that, he (Lou Reed) set the standard for literate streetwise verse, dark lyric humor, white avant-noise and primal rock & roll throb with the Velvet Underground, arguably the most influential American band of rock's last quarter century.

Edited by JLCrab

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO you are confusing popular with world changing awesomness.

The Clash? Really? I don't know a single thing they made.

The small Faces- only notable as the group Rod Stewart was in.

He was my favourite artist and You Wear it Well was probably my most played track in the 80s till I discovered, Fleetwood Mac, Alan Parsons and Pink Floyd in 1998, but I'd never consider him to be world changing. However, it was a sad day for me when he sold out with the "Do ya think I'm sexy" and "Hot Legs" garbage.

5555...each of their own i think, however i grew up with my parents collections..so i used to listen Fletwood Mac and Alan Parsons...but i never fascinate by  their music until my 30s ( its a shame ..i know  :d   ) . As for Pink Floyd  i just fancied The Wall album

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If they were so influential, how come I don't know a single song they made?

So your criteria is not "best" (however that's defined) or "most influential," but "music that you've heard of," which seems to be classic rock (and not even all of that). You said somewhere else you'd never heard anything by the Clash, which apparently is enough to disqualify them, for instance. If you've never heard of the Velvet Underground, why don't you find Lou Reed's early live album "Rock and Roll Animal," which has mostly VU songs and which I think you might like. Give it a try -- it might open up something new for you!

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

To qualify, a musician/ group would have had to be not only extremely popular, but actually change music that the masses listen to, not just a load of druggies for a few years. Elvis did that, Dylan did that, the Beatles did that ( remember how guitar bands were finished? LOL ), probably the Beach Boys did that. Rolling Stones, Dire Straits and Fleetwood Mac were huge and still popular. For the purposes of THIS thread, Led Zeppelin doesn't even register.

It would be easy to consider every group that we individually liked as "the best", but the proof is in longevity, not just past popularity.

Even my mum liked the Beatles.

I only started the thread to point out that musicians that started this century are mainly just commercial products and will change nothing, and be forgotten in 50 years.

Nothing you have said here rules out Led Zeppelin in any way. You just don't like them. Talk about influencing others. They almost created  heavy metal along with Black Sabbath. However, I agree with you on the Velvet Underground. Loved the song "Heroin" though - one of the best drug songs of all time.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Since the topic is a question about whether the best music was from the last century, I think most of us would agree that is true. Considering there is nothing so far in this century of any real significance. I am not saying there is no talent or no stars 

Perhaps the recording industry has become too strong, insisting that only their money makers get promoted. Or perhaps this next generation grew up listening to crap and they want to make crap.

I know there is some clever Indy stuff out there, but it is hard to sort through.

My opinion is that entertainment has become stagnant in the last couple of decades. Western civilization is collapsing in on itself. Self loathing and no longer aware of what made it strong. The art is reflecting the downward spiral.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

I know there is some clever Indy stuff out there, but it is hard to sort through.

Actually, it's not hard to sort through -- if you're interested in music, read a few online zines every now and then like Pitchfork Reviews, then watch YouTube clips of bands that sound interesting. Pitchfork's contributors write intelligently and know music backward and forward. And trying to compare Led Zeppelin with, say, LCD Soundsystem is fruitless at best; is one "greater" than the other? Who the heck knows? Without taking anything away from Led Zeppelin, I find LCD Soundsystem to be inventive, brilliant, and fun to listen to. Happy listening!

1 hour ago, Cory1848 said:

Actually, it's not hard to sort through -- if you're interested in music, read a few online zines every now and then like Pitchfork Reviews, then watch YouTube clips of bands that sound interesting. Pitchfork's contributors write intelligently and know music backward and forward. And trying to compare Led Zeppelin with, say, LCD Soundsystem is fruitless at best; is one "greater" than the other? Who the heck knows? Without taking anything away from Led Zeppelin, I find LCD Soundsystem to be inventive, brilliant, and fun to listen to. Happy listening!

Had a listen to LCD Soundsystem, It's not so bad, I could handle it, maybe if a Listened a few more times I would like it, but it seemed fairly shallow. I get the impression its one guy with a high end keyboard setup. It's not likely to define a generation, or perhaps it does and that would be sad.

Here is a great artist, who has made an asset out of imperfection.

In this album, which was being unpublished for 2 or 3 years, N. Young and his friends are playing and singing while completely high and drunk. You can almost hear the sound of the whisky being poured in the glasses.

The result is sublime, if you ask me.

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Had a listen to LCD Soundsystem, It's not so bad, I could handle it, maybe if a Listened a few more times I would like it, but it seemed fairly shallow. I get the impression its one guy with a high end keyboard setup. It's not likely to define a generation, or perhaps it does and that would be sad.

You’re right, it’s basically one guy (James Murphy, who’s nearly fifty) who assembles musicians around him, but I think that kind of arrangement has been common enough through the decades. And, I agree, some of the more electronic-oriented music leaves me a bit cold, but other times (especially in live clips) the band (with real guitars and drums) gets into a groove that builds in layers, and it’s infectious as all get-out – the live version of the song “All My Friends” at a packed Madison Square Garden that’s on YouTube is great, especially the last few minutes when the band goes into a frenzy. Or “Call the Police,” at Live with Jools Holland (also on YouTube).

Murphy has been at the center of the EDM/DJ scene in New York for about 25 years and is very much a known quantity. I don’t know where he “ranks” among his peers in that scene, but I think he and his band are as talented at what they do as bands that I grew up listening to are at what they did (and some still do; god knows what’s keeping Keith Richards alive). But more important, Murphy “talks” to his thousands of fans, mostly thirty years junior to me, in the same way that my musical heroes talked to me when I was in my twenties. I think that’s a beautiful thing, and I’m not going to impose any value judgments on it.

You’re right, it’s basically one guy (James Murphy, who’s nearly fifty) who assembles musicians around him, but I think that kind of arrangement has been common enough through the decades. And, I agree, some of the more electronic-oriented music leaves me a bit cold, but other times (especially in live clips) the band (with real guitars and drums) gets into a groove that builds in layers, and it’s infectious as all get-out – the live version of the song “All My Friends” at a packed Madison Square Garden that’s on YouTube is great, especially the last few minutes when the band goes into a frenzy. Or “Call the Police,” at Live with Jools Holland (also on YouTube).
Murphy has been at the center of the EDM/DJ scene in New York for about 25 years and is very much a known quantity. I don’t know where he “ranks” among his peers in that scene, but I think he and his band are as talented at what they do as bands that I grew up listening to are at what they did (and some still do; god knows what’s keeping Keith Richards alive). But more important, Murphy “talks” to his thousands of fans, mostly thirty years junior to me, in the same way that my musical heroes talked to me when I was in my twenties. I think that’s a beautiful thing, and I’m not going to impose any value judgments on it.

Well Cory1848 I gave you recommendation 7 minutes and 27 seconds of my time !!
It did start off slow and I was a little bored with the uninteresting lyrics ( except for the Floyd quote ) .
BUT , it did build up to a nice crescendo and certainly got the crowd going. The singer reminded me of Morrissey ( that’s a good thing IMO ).
I imagine being in that crowd with that rising music would be a pretty cool experience.
Not knocking it, or saying it’s the best music from last century either.

Here’s the video:
Interested to see what others make of it .

As you know most posters on this thread prefer stuff from the 60’s and 70’s, like myself. But I’m always open to new ideas !!
My idea of modern music is Muse and Foo Fighters !!

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was lucky enough to hear him live, but while a great singer, and the soundtrack to my life in the 80s, does anyone play him on the airwaves now?

Most weeks. Depends what stations you listen to. Rarely hear Beach Boys. Beetles not much. Surely David Bowie is ahead of Beach Boys.

11 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Nothing you have said here rules out Led Zeppelin in any way. You just don't like them. Talk about influencing others. They almost created  heavy metal along with Black Sabbath. However, I agree with you on the Velvet Underground. Loved the song "Heroin" though - one of the best drug songs of all time.

Heavy metal- hated by way more people than like it. Same with genres like punk, rap, hip hop etc.

To be included it would have to be loved by all, or at least not hated.

Are Elvis, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits etc hated by anyone?

5 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Most weeks. Depends what stations you listen to. Rarely hear Beach Boys. Beetles not much. Surely David Bowie is ahead of Beach Boys.

Bowie was very much a niche market. Only song he ever made I liked was Little China Girl. Most of his stuff I'd change the channel.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Bowie was very much a niche market. Only song he ever made I liked was Little China Girl. Most of his stuff I'd change the channel.

Massive niche. Played on radio for 40 years almost non stop!

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Heavy metal- hated by way more people than like it. Same with genres like punk, rap, hip hop etc.

To be included it would have to be loved by all, or at least not hated.

Are Elvis, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits etc hated by anyone

Ok, you don't like Led Zep. But many of their best tracks are acoustic, not heavy metal at all !

10 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Since the topic is a question about whether the best music was from the last century, I think most of us would agree that is true. Considering there is nothing so far in this century of any real significance. I am not saying there is no talent or no stars 

Perhaps the recording industry has become too strong, insisting that only their money makers get promoted. Or perhaps this next generation grew up listening to crap and they want to make crap.

My opinion is that entertainment has become stagnant in the last couple of decades. Western civilization is collapsing in on itself. Self loathing and no longer aware of what made it strong. The art is reflecting the downward spiral.

Thank you for "getting" what I started this thread about. It was intended more as an "there is nothing great about music this century" opinion piece, and been sidetracked onto debating if heavy metal or Bowie were great or just a niche style appealing to a limited demographic, like heavy metal or rap.

I'll even accept that music like that was influential, even if I don't like it, but where are the "Deep Purple", or "Metallica" etc bands since 2000?

It's just all commercial c*** now in search of the almighty dollar. At least the Liverpool sound was created by guys that cared about the music they made and not just getting rich. I'm sure when the Beatles were in Hamburg they never dreamed of what was to come, but just doing what they loved to make a living.

NB I'm not saying there isn't any enjoyable music now. I like a lot of modern music, but it's just "pop" and soon forgotten, changes nothing.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not about what is played on whatever radio station you happen to listen to. It's about groups that were great and changed music.

Bowie changed music more than most. A lot of musicians say he influenced them.

Just now, mauGR1 said:

You are probably right, but it's hard to define some music with just 1 or 2 words.

If it's lighter than Metalica it's rock. Any heavier it's metal. Metalica are lower end metal. Hardcore stuff is much more heavy. I like about 5% of it. Rest is just very loud noise.