Cell phone policy....

Rhys

The other day a kind wise Thai teacher asked me to let student talk and text in class regardless.....she said, don't get in between this trap...  of course they can use the phone apps for data search and the dictionary function. However, she said not to enforce student actually speaking in class... hmmm

She said the main rationale is then students rate you low..and that is an employment gambit.     Thus  leaving soon

The schools I dealt with had a strict 'no cell phone' policy.   In the morning several of the office admin collected the phones and each student was given a number.   At the end of the day the student turned in the number and got their phone back.  

We did have one student who was a child actor and he had a phone which he was allowed to keep in his bag.   He would check it at break time and lunch time for texts or calls from his agent.   He was a well-behaved student and did not abuse the privilege.   He checked the phone in the teacher's office, so he was not seen by other students or pestered from anyone wanting to make a call. 

Our school also takes phones from students every morning and returns them at 4pm. If a teacher needs it for a lesson, they need to check the phones out from the office then return them. At least the kids now are out playing sport, doing work, or chatting in their free time, rather than being glued to their phones. 

I think this needs to be a school policy for it to work and supported by admin. It doesn't work on an ad hoc basis. Some teachers are strict about phone use and some just don't care. 

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Our school also takes phones from students every morning and returns them at 4pm. If a teacher needs it for a lesson, they need to check the phones out from the office then return them. At least the kids now are out playing sport, doing work, or chatting in their free time, rather than being glued to their phones. 

I think this needs to be a school policy for it to work and supported by admin. It doesn't work on an ad hoc basis. Some teachers are strict about phone use and some just don't care. 

Hit it.. they don't give an effort..

No cell phone policy at my school, it's up to each teacher to set their rules.  I collect the phones from my homeroom classes in the morning and give them back at 2:30, but I am the strictest teacher at school in that respect!

Some teachers collect the phones in the morning, give them back at lunchtime and then collect them a again... a huge waste of time IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

I run a number of quiz games and formative assessments off of phones and often students will need to search for information. Video games entirely not allowed. Taking calls - I will sternly direct them immediately outside, then speak to them after class. I've got good, smart kids, it's always a semi emergency, people are not stupid to call my kids mid day for a trifling matter. If they initiate a call I stop what I'm doing and give them one warning and mark it on my attendance sheet. Happens again that is a two point reduction in their behavior grade.

M2 up...don't take their phones, it's immature on your part and shows lack of control. Besides, you are now responsible for the phone/s. I can see how this could be an issue in university, especially not the top 5. I'd say not much you can do. Try stopping class, direct attention to the student and say we'll all begin when X is done...

On 12/27/2017 at 6:24 PM, otherstuff1957 said:

No cell phone policy at my school, it's up to each teacher to set their rules.  I collect the phones from my homeroom classes in the morning and give them back at 2:30, but I am the strictest teacher at school in that respect!

Some teachers collect the phones in the morning, give them back at lunchtime and then collect them a again... a huge waste of time IMHO.

Our high school students are allowed to have their mobile phones on and they even use the foreign teacher's wireless internet. If I see students on Farcebook, or similar, I tell them to switch it off, or it will land in the principal's office. It usually helps, of course will you always have some "hidden" phones.

IMO, it's useful for an ordinary class to let them find the equivalent word in Thai. If foreigners believe that students shouldn't be allowed to have phones in class and they start to take them away, it can easily be a shot in the own feet, because the students can write a very bad evaluation about a foreigner and vote him/her out.

Where I'm more careful with phones is when I give them a test. Then all phones must be switched off. They aren't stupid, photograph the answers of a better student and then copy from the phone. 

On 12/28/2017 at 12:57 AM, Rhys said:

I think for younger students you can do this..but the university student would have more attitude...

like not care about being expelled ?

I'm at the university level and the university does not have a campus-wide blanket policy, but leaves it to each faculty to form their own policy commensurate with the teaching environment etc.

In my faculty the Dean has set a no-use policy and each individual instructor is expected to comply - unless a waiver has been given. In my classes it is a "no use" policy and first violations are given a one-time verbal warning.. second infractions result in removal from class on that day and a mark of "absent for cause" and a third violation is referred to the Deans office for a more formal reaction.

So far I've never had a step 3... I have lots of step one cases and a handful of step two, but given that a step 2 also includes a loss of points (that comes with a mark of absent for cause) for that sessions, that tends to be the last time it happens.

In the demonstration school, they too have a similar policy on a school-wide basis, but it seems to be very inconsistently applied.

Some teachers have an orderly process whereby phone are left on a desk near the front of the room and retrieved at the end of class.. or something similar... then there are those who only require phones to be kept inside book bags, backpacks, etc... and a few that seem to be indifferent to the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 12/28/2017 at 9:14 AM, DavisH said:

Is your college/uni allowed to fail students...or are they subjected to a "retest".

They fail them...no retest... they have the must attend class 80% requirement or they cannot sit for the final.

5 hours ago, Rhys said:

They fail them...no retest... they have the must attend class 80% requirement or they cannot sit for the final.

80% is also the rule for schools. However, it seems that some schools will also bend this rule and allow "special cases" to have lower attendance. Much lower in some cases. Let's not even talk about "retesting" in schools. The MoE mandates ALL students reach a passing level. Of course, some students can't pass, no matter how hard they try. They are pushed through the system. And you see the results of that policy at university level. 

I don't understand the need for foreign teachers, marginal degrees and education, without training and licences, teaching on temporary stay visas to fail students, especially below the 50% mark which most public schools have set.

It really goes to show how this lot does not understand assessments and grading in general. 60% is failing friends. Why the need for punitive punishment? English is not a critical subject course and YOU are damning kids GPA to hell. Just stop it.

Why the need for punitive punishment? English is not a critical subject course and YOU are damning kids GPA to hell. Just stop it.

I agree that it should not be about "punitive" per se... but... I do think that there really needs to be a clear, objective (to extent possible) assessment... that way IF there is a deficiency (this could also be called failure, but I prefer deficiency) there is a clear map to where or what that deficiency is -- and that should bode well for a recovery plan.

At the end of the day, if the attainment just isn't there, it's not there. One can argue why or how it's lacking, but so long as a fair and accurate assessment was done, then I think it's to everyone's benefit to face the facts - but with an eye to the next step ... that being a fix ... not a "no-fail, pass to next level" or proverbially kicking the can down the road if you will.

As for the notion that English not being a critical subject goes. That i think (IMHO) this is really going to be on a case-by-case thing... it's true that some just won't have a real world need for English.. and others may have need ... but.. I do think in the macro picture, the movement is towards a bilingual ecosystem...

Sure, one can argue what that or those second languages may be or should be, but again, in the macro sense, I don't agree that one language is enough or will enough to be competitive on a large scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Fair enough but still the end of the day, the system could not hold all the students held back. It's already overwhelmed. Being held back is hardly a guarantee that the following year the student would pass either. It's failed system but it's not unusual, even in the USA.

Ultacritcal and largely unintellectual teachers with mediocre bachelor's degrees and education, no training in pedigogy or education making these damning judgements upon students. 

EFL should be pass fail based entirely on formative assessments.

• 4 weeks later...

post-7852-0-96922500-1428167419_thumb.jpg

On 12/28/2017 at 9:14 AM, DavisH said:

Is your college/uni allowed to fail students...or are they subjected to a "retest".

...BAN the CELL PHONES....DONE...USE a dictionary

6 minutes ago, Rhys said:

post-7852-0-96922500-1428167419_thumb.jpg

...BAN the CELL PHONES....DONE...USE a dictionary

University must come as such a shock for some of these students...many seem to not understand the ramifications of not attending class, handing in assignments on time, or passing exams. The school system here sets man of them up for failure (e.g. pushing kids through the system and onto university, instead of vocational college after M3). 

University must come as such a shock for some of these students...many seem to not understand the ramifications of not attending class, handing in assignments on time, or passing exams. The school system here sets man of them up for failure (e.g. pushing kids through the system and onto university, instead of vocational college after M3). 

I've found that for those who do go to university, after just completing grade 12/M6 at a traditional school system institution, that most adapt pretty quickly. Sure, there is some "OMG, they weren't lying..." kind of shock and awe that takes place in the very beginning... but I think that stops pretty quick.

My guess is that that who just don't, can't or won't adapt to a "work must be on-time" and "yes, you CAN fail this class" type of university level system, either: a) choose not to go to a traditional academic-based institution where this is the system, B) don't meet the entrance criteria or c) become involuntarily academically ineligible (flunk out if you will) or choose to leave on their own accord short after initial enrollment.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 1/20/2018 at 5:48 AM, ozmeldo said:

Ultacritcal and largely unintellectual teachers with mediocre bachelor's degrees and education, no training in pedigogy or education making these damning judgements upon students. 

That about sums up the Thai teachers.  How would you describe the foreigners working in Thai schools?

On 2/14/2018 at 12:15 PM, stubuzz said:

That about sums up the Thai teachers.  How would you describe the foreigners working in Thai schools?

Not the Thai teachers I currently work with. Guy next to me is doing his PhD at Chula. All CEFR C1.

Obviously, I was speaking of the foreign teachers. But you've made my point thanks.

On 1/20/2018 at 5:48 AM, ozmeldo said:

47 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Obviously, I was speaking of the foreign teachers. But you've made my point thanks.

Ironically, so have you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived