Search function

ross163103

Is it possible to create a better search function, or modify the current one, in this forum. I've tried to use it many times and most times the results are not very informative. Last time I tried to use  it I typed in "non O immi visa" and the results came back as 0. Obviously there are numerous questions/comments on this issue.

8 hours ago, Maestro said:

Did you use quotation marks in your entry in the search field?

No, I just put those in my original post to highlight what I searched for. The link ubonjoe provided worked a lot better, I'll use that in the future. Thanks for the help.

On 27/12/2017 at 2:44 AM, ross163103 said:

non O immi visa

Searching for the above is searching for all posts that have those four words anywhere in the post, not necessarily in that sequence and not necessarily next to each other. Obviously, no such post exists.

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

Searching for the above is searching for all posts that have those four words anywhere in the post, not necessarily in that sequence and not necessarily next to each other. Obviously, no such post exists.

Using the link ubonjoe provided worked fine when searching for the exact same words as I used before: 42 results came up.

I tried searching for:

non O immi visa

using the search icon on the forum home page and also the link supplied by ubonjoe. I got two completely different results.

The forum home page search icon provided zero hits. The link provided by ubonjoe provided 42 hits.

How can that be? I'm sure you can replicate the search yourselves.

I would suggest that most users would use the search icon at the top of the page - the same icon that returned zero hits for me.

Screenshot_20180101-215031.png

Screenshot_20180101-214926.png

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you click on search and all content you will see this. Then click on advanced search it will take you to the page I posted a link to.

image.png.1ea3ef494dd1ff6b0bec0eac1ca6bf8a.png

I'm using a mobile device, as I imagine a large percentage of users are. I don't see an all content button.

Just a box to type in and a search magnifying/glass icon to execute the search.

That still doesn't answer my question however. How can an average user (me) end up with two drastically different result when I search the site?

I do thank you for helping me, however my point is a lot of users are like me. We see a search box on the home page. We click it, type in the search term and hit the search icon. And we receive zero hits.

This isn't a user problem. It's badly working search software.