Police at checkpoints may be punished over road accidents

webfact

Police at checkpoints may be punished over road accidents

PNPOL601227001000601_27122017_022213.jpg

BANGKOK, 27th December 2017 (NNT) – The Deputy Commander of the Royal Thai Police has made known he is considering punitive measures against officers operating in areas where a high rate of accidents take place during the New Year holidays, while indicating more checkpoints will be set up along minor roads. 

Elsewhere, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-ocha has asked that citizens drive carefully and ensure their own safely during the holiday, reminding motorists that they must respect traffic laws by driving in an orderly fashion and remaining sober.

He said more checkpoints are to be set up along minor roads that have seen a high incidence of accidents, while rest stops are to be added to encourage travelers to take breaks. The PM impressed upon the force that police cannot use the period to take advantage of citizens. 

Deputy Commander of the Royal Thai Police Pol Gen Sriawara Rangsiphramnakul meanwhile, dispatched officers who will be active throughout the long holiday. He also instructed Songkhla province’s immigration police to facilitate cross border travel during the holiday. 

The deputy commander said today that police officers at 60 checkpoints across the country may even be subject to punitive measures if avoidable accidents occur at or near their posts. He instructed them to be proactive in dealing with drunk drivers and other such dangerous motorists.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-12-27

only in thailand , where one can have an accident and blame a copper who had nothing to do with it, still i suppose that is on the same level where a thai hits a franag in an accident and it is the innocent farangs fault for being in the country, lol

At Mochit we passed a checkpoint late last night on our way home.

A few officers were sleeping, others were watching tv and the rest just sit there.

Our friends were passing by car after drinking loads of whisky.  They had no fear at all for the police.

The police just do nothing, like every year again...why do alcoholtests if you still get paid for watching tv or sleeping?

this gets more bizarre by the day and would be funny if the consequences weren't so tragic. the government, police and it seems nation as a whole cant seem to get round the fact that the carnage on the roads causing death, injury and misery for hundreds of thousands of the population - their own people - is unnecessary. and yet no one is prepared to stand up, take responsibility and do something constructive about it. truly bizarre.

Edited by samsensam
clarification

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

I would have thought that being where a large number of accidents happen would be a deterrent to people driving with disregard for others and reduce accidents not cause them .

Sorry mate, but nothing is a deterrent to some of these muppets, who probably do not know there have been previous accidents.

I agree with most posts, BUT on some main roads good flow of traffic is suddenly stopped because of a checkpoint,  why a checkpoint every 30 kilometers  ??   drivers here in general have never had tuition,   checkpoints also clog up traffic causing long tailbacks drivers wanting to get to destination get frustrated by so many road blocks.

No excuses BUT again stop these ridiculous money collections.

I don’t see any problem with holding them accountable. As a management rep at my place of work I get a bollocking if someone stubs their toe or breaks a nail because they didn’t follow some company procedure. If police were doing a better job, perhaps there would be less road accidents and Deaths right across Thailand. So holding Police upper management accountable may be a way to promote change in the RTP

13 hours ago, samsensam said:

this gets more bizarre by the day and would be funny if the consequences weren't so tragic. the government, police and it seems nation as a whole cant seem to get round the fact that the carnage on the roads causing death, injury and misery for hundreds of thousands of the population - their own people - is unnecessary. and yet no one is prepared to stand up, take responsibility and do something constructive about it. truly bizarre.

Well it would help if the police just did their job...they do get paid for it after all so why not tell them to work?

14 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t like, trust, respect or have anything positive to say about the bib, but how the **** can they be held responsible for road accidents that happen to occur near them? 

Easily.

On Phuket there used to be frequent checkpoints on a main road, immediately after exiting a very busy roundabout.  It was clearly a very bad place to set up a checkpoint, and bound to cause accidents.

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Easily.

On Phuket there used to be frequent checkpoints on a main road, immediately after exiting a very busy roundabout.  It was clearly a very bad place to set up a checkpoint, and bound to cause accidents.

That’s not the scenario this guy is painting (from what I read from the op) when he says the bib will be held responsible for accidents. 

15 hours ago, Thian said:

At Mochit we passed a checkpoint late last night on our way home.

A few officers were sleeping, others were watching tv and the rest just sit there.

Our friends were passing by car after drinking loads of whisky.  They had no fear at all for the police.

The police just do nothing, like every year again...why do alcoholtests if you still get paid for watching tv or sleeping?

Quiet Normal You were lucky some were still awake Its just for looks The cops are just there to show the people they are trying to do something

So if an accident to occur before or after a check point, police will be punished?  On what ground??sorry chaps but I just woke up feeling jetlagged  after 2 weeks in Thailand n now in my Brunei office feeling brain dead.I can not grasp the headline. .strong black coffee please!!?