New, modern handguns being handed out free to police

webfact

50 minutes ago, bangrak said:

Sorry, I'm a bit 'lost' about this one... When I'm correct,

1) it are about 150,000 of these Sigs which have been ordered, delivered and paid  (without serious tests and evaluation, at a price way above the u.p. for the public in the US, and on top of it no official procurement procedure);

2) the RTP officers were supposed to purchase all of these, personally, on own expense (there was even a system put in place to give them a favourable loan, interest and payback, to do so).

And now, Mr Prawit uses his magic wand (diamond studded and made by Richard Mille too...?), to distribute 55,000 of those Sigs 'free' to the force, with an allowance per police station, but to be in 'shared use'!? Come on, what's the joke, may I ask?

No doubt at all some guys (Generals and so) have made massive money with this global deal, but what is happening here now?

1) what about the thousands of RTP officers who had been ordering one of the Sigs, and, possibly/probably, got these (after cueing for hours it seems...)? Will they be able to give their gun back, and have their money refunded...?

2) what about the 50 to 80,000 thousand(!) Sigs which have not been bought by officers it seems, nor 'generously' distributed by 'older brother' Prawit?

3) what about the taxpayers money 'invested' in those Sigs, as this was supposed to be a (nearly...) 'self-financing' operation: finance the purchase of guns to be bought and paid by police officers, this having been used as the way to 'explain' why the normal State purchase procedures were not followed: no expenditures, you see...

4) and then 'details', like: who's going to decide which officers are allowed to carry one of the 'free' guns, when and how; who will be responsible for keeping the guns at the stations (safely, and not 'disappearing', 'getting mislaid', or 'lost'...); who's going to maintain the guns; where will the (hopefully standard) ammo come from (considering each police officer is, still, responsible for the purchase and keeping of his own ammunition).

To me, this smells, really, bad. I don't know which direction it will take (probably being shoved under the, huge, carpet, a.s.a.p.), the whole, concealed(!), initial deal had to be, massively, corrupt, it is clear today's story shows 'a something' has gone, very, wrong, but what, will we ever be told...? The only things which are at this point crystal clear to me, is that the taxpayers will have to (not even being asked N.B.) foot the bill in the end, as usually, and that some of 'the usual suspects' will have become more wealthy again. More extravagantly expensive watches to be seen at wrong people's wrist...?  

Reading the article properly is always a good idea if you can't make sense of it, try it and most of your points will be answered.

9 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Reading the article properly is always a good idea if you can't make sense of it, try it and most of your points will be answered.

Hmm, and as you would have been following the topic of the purchase of these Sigs better than I have, you no doubt know that the initial plan was not at all to have just 15,000 purchased by police officers, but the whole lot this is only about 10% of...

When you don't see the 'discrepancies', and their implications, write to me next year.

On 30.12.2017 at 3:17 AM, lucjoker said:

here is the gun , it is not a toy ....be careful ,only for trained hands.

https://pantip.com/topic/36751988

If I read the numbers right they are distributing more than 70,000 of these in Thailand. When we add in the Thai proficiency for maintenance it could get interesting...

I do not feel reassured.

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Same lot of guns,correct.

regards Worgeordie

No, different supply. 

From the OP..."Last Saturday, the first lot of Sig Sauer P320 SP semi-automatic handguns were handed out to 2,500 police officers from around the country under a separate project, “welfare gun”, to provide more arms to the police.

Edited by Just Weird

Just now, Just Weird said:

No, different supply. 

From the OP..."Last Saturday, the first lot of Sig Sauer P320 SP semi-automatic handguns were handed out to 2,500 police officers from around the country under a separate project, “welfare gun”, to provide more arms to the police.

But from the same lot of 150,000  guns that were purchased,correct

regards worgeordie