Kick out from hotel like a vagabond.

Tchooptip

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/30/2017 at 9:14 AM, Meljames said:

Many. Pay a few days or a week in advance rather than for the whole stay at once. Pretty common practice, especially if you don't have a set itinerary and want to keep some options open. The big question is did the OP make a reservation and pay  in advance for the days he's been evicted for. My guess is he didn't.

As you say

..... and want to keep some options open... 

.... intended to stay till 5 January.

That goes both ways.

Have a good new year and next time pay in advance so you commit and the hotel commit too.

Edited by Autonuaq
Add forgotten sentence

On 12/30/2017 at 9:14 AM, Meljames said:

Many. Pay a few days or a week in advance rather than for the whole stay at once. Pretty common practice, especially if you don't have a set itinerary and want to keep some options open. The big question is did the OP make a reservation and pay  in advance for the days he's been evicted for. My guess is he didn't.

As you say ..... and want to keep some options open... 

That goes both ways.

Have a good new year and next time pay in advance so you commit and the hotel commit too.

On 12/30/2017 at 9:08 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

What hotel lets you pay as you go? It's not a phone service. If you didn't pay for the days you will be staying already then buh bye.

I rarely pay upfront for the entire time in a hotel and have never been asked to leave. Of course, I usually stay in hotels I know, since I travel the same places quite a lot. However, it seems they know this hotel too.

I think if you made a reservation for the entire time, there should be no problem. If a new customer comes and there are no other rooms; then the hotel is full. If the hotel mixed-up the reservations; then the hotel needs to find other accommodation--and I would not expect to be the one to move. If the hotel wants the money in advance, the hotel should say so and give you a chance to pay.

I would demand the owners tell the others to find a new hotel; or find another hotel myself when there.

5 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I rarely pay upfront for the entire time in a hotel and have never been asked to leave. 

Well, it doesn't work like this.

If you choose to pay when checking out, you can not cancel your reservation within 48 hours with any big hotel chains. 

Just check terms and conditions when you book and it's all spelled out.

To stay at the hotel and pay day by day expecting your future stay will be honored at the prices you pay is extremely arrogant.

On 12/30/2017 at 9:08 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

What hotel lets you pay as you go? It's not a phone service. If you didn't pay for the days you will be staying already then buh bye.

I once owed a hotel in the PI 50,000 pesos because they  never asked for money from the day I checked in.    Once requested, I immediately went to the bank and paid in full.    Trusting folks I guess.

Am I the only one sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for more updates on this from the OP.  Surely, there must have been some additional  high noon dramas like too few shrimps in the tom yam, or the beer in the fridge being too warm, or the mosquitos biting too much?

52 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I rarely pay upfront for the entire time in a hotel and have never been asked to leave. Of course, I usually stay in hotels I know, since I travel the same places quite a lot. However, it seems they know this hotel too.

It does sound like the O.P. isnt as well liked by the hotel owners, as he thinks that he is

seems lot of a lot of talk over bugger all, if you do not book for the full time you are intending to stay, only pay up to a set date then the hotel is within its rights to book people in after that date to ensure they have an occupancy, how do they know what you intend to do when your booking expires. If you were going to stay you should have booked it for the full time and not go day to day, hotel was within their rights to book in the other person but should have told you before the last day. In the future hopefully you will not take it for granted that you can do as you please and do what everyone else does and book for the full time you intend to stay although I do notice some people expect others to be able to read their minds, you have no rights if you dont book for the full time you want to stay, thats just common sense, I always pre book and pay for the full time I will be there, that guarantees my room is mine for the duration, you should try it sometime

4 hours ago, elgenon said:
On 12/30/2017 at 10:08 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I pay when check out.

You may sign the credit card slip when you check out, but if you forget to sign that credit card slip, they'll still get paid.

I don't know many hotels that are going to run a cash tab for someone not related to the owner.   None that stay in business more than the few months it takes for everyone to find out where to stay for free.

Sorry for the situation but its your own fault. Maybe she just got a last second booking on your room. On the bookingsites your room shows as emty the days you didnt pay. And she wont risk to loose the upped prices. If you paid for your whole stay that would be considered a booked room. 

On 30/12/2017 at 8:56 AM, noise said:

Get the Tourist Police to help you.  If you made your reservation thru the 5th or 6th of Jan, you should be able to get the Tourist Police to help you make the hotel honor that.

He didn't make a reservation until the 6th January at all.

He was ' playing it all by ear ' and seeing how he felt BUT ALSO leaving himself with the option of checking out if he chose to. If he had booked and paid, there would not be an issue. The probable reason the hotel left it to the last minute just in case there was a cancellation whereby they would have allowed him to extend his stay.

It's the highest demand of the peak season, if they had allowed him to stay they would not be honoring bookings made by others.

He is completely in the wrong and expected the hotel to make special dispensation because he has been there since the 16th December but never made a firm booking or his intentions known or committed to booking and paying. You can do this in quiet hotels or low season, you cannot expect it in high season.

I called my daughter in Law in Bangkok, she found the telephone number of the owner, called her, if you throw my dad out you will have a big problem with me, not with him because he is a good man, and do not want a problem with anyone.
The owner came 2 minutes ago OK I am sorry you can stay, but what she did not know a few minutes ago, I saw the hotel employee who told me aggressively "must go" 
We paid for a few more day so the end of the story.

By Post #11 the OP declared “end of the story” will the thread continue over or under 100 posts? Place your bets!

I paid for my room for one week in a hotel in Bangkok, and I used the hotel phone to call my bank as I had lost my ATM, 55 minutes on the phone cost 6000 baht, and as I had no ATM I couldn't instantly pay the fee for the phone. They kicked us out of their room at about 9pm when western union across Bangkok had already closed! They made us sit in reception until the hotel bill was paid, my mother in law came from Phetchabun to pay the bill and arrived at about 4 am, I then refunded her at about 10am from a western union payment!

Although I was shocked to find the bill was 6000 baht for 55 minutes on the phone and I got stung, I fully intended on paying the bill. I didn't expect to be treated like a crinimal, needless to say I have never come back since!

On 12/30/2017 at 4:22 AM, Tchooptip said:

we planned to stay 3 weeks

I used to work at a hotel, until you put your money down, it is not a guarantee. You could intend to stay for the 3 weeks, yet, you could just leave at any time, so it's not firm on YOUR part until you pay for the full three weeks in advance. I also used to work construction where I stayed weekly or monthly, around holidays I always asked the hotel if they were going to be busy during that period and would pay to ensure that I had a place to stay, or I would have advance knowledge to make other arrangements.

5 hours ago, impulse said:

where to stay for free.

Yeah, I can see where a lot of tourists do a runner and pack up and leave before dawn, especially if they are flying out or leaving the country, hotel can't get paid like that, or the guests claim poverty and never had the cash. I can't see hotels operating like that.

12 hours ago, jobsworth said:

anybody have any experience of this or know anything about hotel management?

Yes. This guest assumed that the manager has a crystal ball and knows that he "intended" to stay for the full three-week duration. He would have had rights if he paid in full in advance. You can do a walk up booking without reservations, but normally the hotel should have cleared the time versus booked reservations. Like, you can only stay until the 30th, but the hotel is fully booked past this time. Apparently, that is what he is on about.

10 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Well, it doesn't work like this.

If you choose to pay when checking out, you can not cancel your reservation within 48 hours with any big hotel chains. 

Just check terms and conditions when you book and it's all spelled out.

To stay at the hotel and pay day by day expecting your future stay will be honored at the prices you pay is extremely arrogant.

Gee, you mean I've been breaking the rules, shame on me; seems the hotels do not mind what I am doing, so sorry if I don't care what you say. Happy New Year in your small little world.

On 12/30/2017 at 9:32 AM, Tchooptip said:

I called my daughter in Law in Bangkok, she found the telephone number of the owner, called her, if you throw my dad out you will have a big problem with me, not with him because he is a good man, and do not want a problem with anyone.

The owner came 2 minutes ago OK I am sorry you can stay, but what she did not know a few minutes ago, I saw the hotel employee who told me aggressively "must go" 

We paid for a few more day so the end of the story.

Happened to me years ago. Unconfirmed bookings for Thai nationals take priority over falangs on National Park islands.

TIT.

:welcomeani: