Kick out from hotel like a vagabond.

Tchooptip

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The owner, does not work in the hotel nor lives in it when she came, she did not understood her employee, the person who had supposedly reserved, had for one night, the employee said this person called only this morning at five o'clock to confirm she will come so she had to honored the reservation. 

When as far as we are concerned we said from the very beginning that is to say 16th of December we  planned to stay 3 weeks,

I have maybe an explanation, this person was a relative or a friend of the employee and could not find a room for the night? 

But how dare she told customers they have to leave almost in the hour? Without any warning before I reckon I'm flabbergasted.

On the other hand not sure this hotel saw many farangs because there is not the word hotel anywhere, it is only in Thai.

10 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

The owner, does not work in the hotel nor lives in it when she came, she did not understood her employee, the person who had supposedly reserved, had for one night, the employee said this person called only this morning at five o'clock to confirm she will come so she had to honored the reservation. 

When as far as we are concerned we said from the very beginning that is to say 16th of December we  planned to stay 3 weeks,

I have maybe an explanation, this person was a relative or a friend of the employee and could not find a room for the night? 

But how dare she told customers they have to leave almost in the hour? Without any warning before I reckon I'm flabbergasted.

On the other hand not sure this hotel saw many farangs because there is not the word hotel anywhere, it is only in Thai.

And what about you calling in the "relative", the intimidating sister in law?  Is that any better?

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

Do not make any problems with the hotel employee who aggressively told you that you "must go" , as she was only doing what she was told to do .

I really do think that you could have sorted this out yourself, by going to speak with the manger, rather than phoning your daughter and posting on here .

Or pay up front , rather than paying late .

There may have been no need for your daughter to threaten the manager .

Do not make any problems with the hotel employee who aggressively told you that you "must go" , as she was only doing what she was told to do .

There is no one working in this hotel reception only this lady and her husband, so no one told her anything, we know the owner has a big motorbike shop not far, it's not a big town my wife's family are all here for decades, every one knows every one, as not calling the owner good luck we did it the employee refused to talked  even to my wife who by the way tried to say you knew from the beginning we'll stay till January but this lady refused to talk she even walked away in the street so we cannot talk at all. 

9 hours ago, poohy said:

Both parties are at fault

Hotel over peak season should have taken full amount then no problem

Op should have reserved room in full

Situation a not handled well by hotel but as in thailand greed is paramount they were juggling rooms to get full occupancy ( overbooking) in these case someone has to be bumped  hence the request for a person who has not paid in full to leave or in the cas now someone who thinks they have  booking

You are joking right? No way shape or form is the hotel wrong, you pay for a couple of nights, you stay a couple of nights - do not expect the hotel to have rooms for you after the nights you have paid for!

11 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

There is no one working in this hotel reception only this lady and her husband, so no one told her anything, we know the owner has a big motorbike shop not far, it's not a big town my wife's family are all here for decades, every one knows every one, as not calling the owner good luck we did it the employee refused to talked  even to my wife who by the way tried to say you knew from the beginning we'll stay till January but this lady refused to talk she even walked away in the street so we cannot talk at all. 

Staying and paying are two totally different things. You expected to pick and choose when you paid and for how many days. Learn your lesson, pay, then stay.

56 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

It sounds like they just dont like you .

They dont seem to want you to stay there, as its their property, you really should leave and find somewhere else  that want you to stay

11 hours ago, Meljames said:

New Years, happened to us a couple years ago. The management gave us about a 2 day notice, rooms were aplenty after the 2nd though and we returned. Probably the same situation you're in now. Don't see what going to the MiB would accomplish.

Another version, about 5 years back I called a /4 star hotel in Pattaya, asked for the Christmas / New year rate. Manager rang me back after talking to the owner, who said holiday season double the normal rate. 

Pushed for time I booked 2 rooms.

Arrived as per booking date, 2 days later, on Christmas eve, manager informed us that the owner had just added 400Baht per room / per night on top of the inflated holiday season rate.

The manager refused to give me the owners telephone number. Then the uppity loud front desk lady intervened 'if you don't leave by 8.00 am tomorrow morning you and family will be physically thrown out onto the footpath'. She was giving the same message to about 10 other guests.

We had already paid the inflated holiday rate for the following 4 days, so I asked if we would be receiving a refund for those days. Response: 'No, why should we do that?'  

By this stage many of the other affected guests, mostly middle Eastern young guys were very angry, very abusive, threatening all the hotel staff, kicking furniture etc.

We decided to pack and leave immediately and drove back to a friends condo in Bkk.  

Edited by scorecard

i do not understand your method of staying/paying it sounds like you have

traveled and stayed at hotels before ? and yet you do not positively book and

pay for your room up front, i do not think the hotel has anything to answer for

as most people pay for the room they booked on arrival, especially in high season

maybe your wife having a chat with the lady on reception on arrival might of helped seeing you wanted a ''flexi-booking'' and could of kept her in the know with regards

to rooms and bookings...but not really the hotels job as the ball was in your court 

On 12/30/2017 at 8:56 AM, noise said:

Get the Tourist Police to help you.  If you made your reservation thru the 5th or 6th of Jan, you should be able to get the Tourist Police to help you make the hotel honor that.

Tourist Police your best bet... Good Luck!

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

Looking for decency and scrupulous from Thai operated hospitality place

is like asking a hungry lion not to eat that sheep, all they care is the bottom

line of today's taking, and yours is in the way....

"They really don't like us here" post of the day award goes to.... the usual suspect!

15 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

You can take your gasted flabber and remember to pay in advance/in-full during high-season/holiday time in the boonies.

13 hours ago, zoza said:

i do not understand your method of staying/paying it sounds like you have

traveled and stayed at hotels before ? and yet you do not positively book and

pay for your room up front, i do not think the hotel has anything to answer for

as most people pay for the room they booked on arrival, especially in high season

maybe your wife having a chat with the lady on reception on arrival might of helped seeing you wanted a ''flexi-booking'' and could of kept her in the know with regards

to rooms and bookings...but not really the hotels job as the ball was in your court 

It is common enough in Nakhon Nowhere. I have stayed at provincial 2-3 star, 500 baht/night flops and have frequently paid the first 3 nights and let the room tab run until my departure date is confirmed or they ask me to get the account current; pay-up or vacate never demanded and the request to pay always politely put. Probably done this at least half-a-dozen times without issue.

However, unlike the OP, I have never tried to run a room tab during a high-volume holiday weekend. If I plan on staying through the holidays, I pay it all up front.

On 30/12/2017 at 9:47 AM, NanLaew said:

I imagine this is a (barely) 2-star provincial hotel? Decent, comfortable and probably around 500 baht/night tops?

It is new year holidays and rooms will be at a premium from today onwards. If the OP should have at least paid through the new year weekend, it would have been OK. Playing pay-as-you-go with front-desk staff who are not managers in holiday season is a mistake. The OP's wife is avoiding confrontation as she screwed up. I doubt she's expecting her farang partner to do much better and getting the cops is a waste of time.

Things should free up from 2nd/3rd onwards as people start to head home. Did a quick search and Little Garden Resort is assumed to be full (contact for rooms and rates) whereas Aromdee Resort indicates rooms available now at 400 baht/night.

Just saw that the OP got his DiL to pull a sad version of "Do you know who I am?!" with the owner. If it was me, I wouldn't be ordering any food from the hotel kitchen for the rest of the stay.

Ok I'll try to be clearer, not sure that many have any idea how it goes in this kind of hotel run by amateurs and not hoteliers. This hotel does not really have any "staff" only this woman at the reception and her alone, she lives in the hotel with her husband driver of songtow and their young children, they all eat in what we could call the reception.

And also two charming young women who clean the 16 rooms 8 on the ground floor and 8 on the first floor. everything is pure cleanliness for a 400 baht per night. So I do not criticize the hotel at all on the contrary, I only wonder if this woman has all her head, for we spoke to her almost every day, she knew then perfectly we are here because the parents and the family of my wife are 3 kilometres away. So she always knew that we were spending new year eve here at phon Charoen with the family, and so we were planning to stay in the hotel, never before said she the hotel would be full and on the morning of the 30th she told my wife that we have to leave that morning immediately she went away somewhere in the street so that we can not argue with anyone,  Contrary to some comment, fortunately my daughter-in-law intervened with the landlord, who immediately proved us right. Otherwise, I did not see myself loading everything in the car to find a hotel, probably in Buen Khan 46 km and then make the return 100km every day. I do not know if for some it's clearer like that

6 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Ok I'll try to be clearer, not sure that many have any idea how it goes in this kind of hotel run by amateurs and not hoteliers. This hotel does not really have any "staff" only this woman at the reception and her alone, she lives in the hotel with her husband driver of songtow and their young children, they all eat in what we could call the reception.

And also two charming young women who clean the 16 rooms 8 on the ground floor and 8 on the first floor. everything is pure cleanliness for a 400 baht per night. So I do not criticize the hotel at all on the contrary, I only wonder if this woman has all her head, for we spoke to her almost every day, she knew then perfectly we are here because the parents and the family of my wife are 3 kilometres away. So she always knew that we were spending new year eve here at phon Charoen with the family, and so we were planning to stay in the hotel, never before said she the hotel would be full and on the morning of the 30th she told my wife that we have to leave that morning immediately she went away somewhere in the street so that we can not argue with anyone,  Contrary to some comment, fortunately my daughter-in-law intervened with the landlord, who immediately proved us right. Otherwise, I did not see myself loading everything in the car to find a hotel, probably in Buen Khan 46 km and then make the return 100km every day. I do not know if for some it's clearer like that

Perfectly clear to me old chap. The hotel 'manager' (for want of a better word) found herself between a rock and a hard space with someone else's 'confirmed' booking. In the age-old tradition of avoiding conflict, she told your wife and then 'ran away'. Your wife, in the same tradition deferred to you to solve the problem. You did. Well done. Happy New Year.

...but from my experience, running a room tab in holiday season is a tad perilous even when the hotel staff all know you.

7 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

I only wonder if this woman has all her head, for we spoke to her almost every day, she knew then perfectly we are here because the parents and the family of my wife are 3 kilometres away. So she always knew that we were spending new year eve here at phon Charoen with the family, and so we were planning to stay in the hotel, 

No, that doesnt mean that you were planning on staying at the hotel for the duration , you are just assuming that She guessed that you were going to stay in the hotel .

Did you tell the owner when you intended to leave ? Or was you just staying there on a day to day basis with the option of checking out any day ?

The hotel stated that you must pay for you room daily , you were four days in arrears .

Why didnt you pay for the whole in advance for the whole duration ?

As you hadnt paid for the room and if you didnt give a confirmed leaving date , the hotel owner had every right to give the room to someone else

17 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Contrary to some comment, fortunately my daughter-in-law intervened with the landlord, who immediately proved us right. 

Your DiL didnt prove that you were in the right , she just used threats to the owner to make you get your own way , that doesnt make you in the right

i don't understand how a hotel can manage bookings. obviously they want as many guests as possible but if it is possible to check in without a reservation and it is also possible to make a reservation some days in advance. there must be a conflict. what if as stated here you check in without a reservation and stay until somebody else has a reservation on your room? i have had similar experiences in germany, cambodia and laos. on all occasions i have been asked to leave but in a friendly manner. needless to say i have never gone back to those places but thinking about it what else can they do? is it like an airline where you book more passengers than you have seats on the assumption that some will not turn up for the flight? a booking is a reservation and an airline will sometimes book you on another airline if they don't have a seat for you.  aeroflot once booked me on thai air and very nice it was too. i guess the difference is that in one case you have not paid any money while on the other you have. anybody have any experience of this or know anything about hotel management?

10 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

don't understand how a hotel can manage bookings. obviously they want as many guests as possible but if it is possible to check in without a reservation and it is also possible to make a reservation some days in advance. there must be a conflict.

No conflict. Rooms paid for in advance trump some guy paying as he goes. Money in hand always wins out. Only conflict that could arise if a customer offers to pay more for a room already paid for, that would be at the mgr's choosing/risk though.

Edited by Meljames

You should pay in advance for new year holidays to garrantee your stay. Other days hotels are not busy. 

Those who did reservation have already paid at the time of reservation. Hotel has obligation to those who have already paid for rooms, unless you paid in advance especially new year holidays. 

20 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

what if as stated here you check in without a reservation and stay until somebody else has a reservation on your room? i have had similar experiences in germany, cambodia and laos. on all occasions i have been asked to leave but in a friendly manner. needless to say i have never gone back to those places but thinking about it what else can they do?

Happens all the time, even for weekends.  I don't hold it against the hotel if I check in without a reservation and later have to leave because someone else has made a reservation.  I'd be a little miffed if they accepted payment in advance for those days, but that's effectively making a reservation and should ring the double booking bells.  

Most places I've stayed warn me in advance the day that I'll have to leave, but I can also see where they may not know up front if someone else will book the room after I've checked in.  It doesn't get taken off the market for the days I haven't paid.

I agree with sanemax.  The hotel was perfectly within their rights (and standard practice) to ask a guest without a reservation (and paying day to day) to vacate a room when someone with a reservation was scheduled in.   Intimidating the manager into compliance doesn't make the OP right.

Edit:  Also, a lot of hotels keep some rooms set aside in case a rock star (literal or figurative), an A-list guest, or a local official with clout darkens their door or sends someone their way.  I suspect that's the room he got.

Edited by impulse

On 30/12/2017 at 9:08 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

What hotel lets you pay as you go? It's not a phone service. If you didn't pay for the days you will be staying already then buh bye.

Completely agree. A hotel will take the assured payment any day over a maybe. It's just normal business sense, especially in high season.

If you want the room for x amount of time, pay for it up front (normal procedure) and it's yours.

17 minutes ago, Meljames said:

No conflict. Rooms paid for in advance trump some guy paying as he goes. Money in hand always wins out. Only conflict that could arise if a customer offers to pay more for a room already paid for, that would be at the mgr's choosing/risk though.

Yes, if the hotel manager gets a phone call asking about available rooms and he looks in  his reservations book and sees a room that hasnt been booked , he will offer that room to the caller . The hotel manager cannot be expected to run around the hotel, trying to find guests to ask whether they will be staying that night or checking out 

Quick : Anyone know were the hotel is and what number room the O.P is staying in and how much he pays ?

I am going to phone the hotel and book his room for tonight and offer double what he is paying .

I will not be staying there , I just want the manager to go and kick him out again :)

I got  ten minutes to get this done, before check-out time

22 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Quick : Anyone know were the hotel is and what number room the O.P is staying in and how much he pays ?

I am going to phone the hotel and book his room for tonight and offer double what he is paying .

I will not be staying there , I just want the manager to go and kick him out again :)

I got  ten minutes to get this done, before check-out time

What do I do for excitement? I like mountain climbing.

Each to their own though.