Govt To Attract Foreign Studios To Make Movies In Thailand

george

Govt to attract foreign studios to make movies in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- In a bid to lure independent film-makers and major Hollywood studios to shoot movies in Thailand, the Cabinet on Tuesday agreed to set up a service centre that would process filming applications and issue shooting permits within 24 hours.

Natepreeya Chumchaiyo, assistant government spokesperson, told reporters that the plan would help promote Thailand as an attractive international film location.

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports, which made the proposal, feared that Thailand is losing out to Malaysia and Vietnam as bureaucratic red tapes discourage foreign directors and documentary makers.

Currently, film makers have to go through a lengthy process to be issued a shooting permit. Requests for shooting a feature film in Thailand, for instance, have to be submitted to Thailand Film Office at least 14 days before production.

Ms Natepreeya said the one-stop service centre would speed up the process. But she maintained that the authorities would continue to monitor the film contents and shooting practices to ensure respect to Thailand’s cultural sensitivity and fragile natural environment.

Activists were up in arms over the The Beach, shot in 2000 and starring Leonardo DiCaprio, complaining a beach in a Thai national park was damaged during the shooting. The filmmakers denied it.

Thailand had a total of over 400 shoots last year for foreign movies, TV series, ads and music videos, worth about Bt1 billion, declining from Bt1.4 billion in 2002.

The latest sequel of Rambo – Rambo IV: In the Serpent’s Eye - which stars Sylvester Stallone, will be shot in Bangkok and the northern provinces of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai — earning Thailand about $5 million.

Other recent blockbusters shot partially in Thailand include Alexander and Star Wars Episode III.

--TNA 2007-01-17

I can't believe the utter nonsense this government is putting their heads into... aren't there any other more important matters they should attend to ......? :o

LaoPo

I can't believe the utter nonsense this government is putting their heads into... aren't there any other more important matters they should attend to ......? :o

Yes LaoPo, there are : "Men will be able to demand compensation from their wives' lovers if the National Legislative Assembly gives the green light today to three legal drafts being proposed by the Justice Ministry."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101722

:D

How will the studios be able to justify coming to Thailand if 30% of their funding is tied up for 12 months?

After all making a movie is speculation. :o

Indeed, but movies being shot in thailand will give some much needed work to the drifters and extras both thai and falang. That should be good! But I think the coin is pretty low though.

LaoPo

How did you know that they are not working on something else as well? Drafting constitution, investigating the past corruptions/the bombing incidents, expedting the mass transit projects and so on are all going on concurrently. This is a good idea, and to me it's not something to bitch about.

Thailand would be a great location to do a movie about a country taken over by the military who doesn't let the previously elected leader, or even it's own people, access to a free press; I'm talking about a movie about Myanmar, of course! Similar geography and ....?

And all these producers, directors, actors etc., will have police background checks and work permits? Right?

Now, now, Scott you can't equate actors and educators. In acting, one pretends to be whatever the script suggests, whereas, in your profession, you pretend to be a teacher...

... just a little humor!