Prayut threatens not to call an election this year ‘unless public order prevails’

webfact

11 minutes ago, connda said:

He'll be able to kick the election can down the road until his friends in the West finally say, "Enough."  It's actually more interesting to see how much latitude he's allowed until the ultimatum comes that says, 'elections or sanctions, make a choice.'  But until then, everything is hunky-dory. For the West, it's important to at least maintain the illusion of democracy regardless of the how the machinery works under the surface.  And they like their smaller trading partners to toe that same line.

The west are not going to do a thing, save for a few tut-tuts of disapproval. It's all about the money these days and principle be damned...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

It is the majority of Thai's who want peace and economic stability and that is what this government is providing.

You cannot argue with the truth.

And just how would you know what the majority wants?

PS. Still waiting for an answer from you regarding what happens if/when a Shin supported administration is back in power. Will you move away from Thailand, Steven? Come on - don't keep us guessing!!!!

“Please be fair with me. Anybody can set up a political party and if people see that it proposes good candidates, they will choose that party,” he said. “Why are you paranoid about me?

Please have a very close look in a mirror. 

34 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

I really don't think elections will change anything except whose snouts make it into the trough and even then you won't see much change. Perhaps the pecking order will change but the faces will remain similar.

Image result for pigs at a trough

Big change; only you don’t see it. With election, you know when to take these snouts to task every 4 years and you have the corruption agencies snapping at their heels. The current snouts are slurping at the trough with immunity and the corruption agencies are looking away and they can continue to slurp for indefinite period. 

If I was living in Thailand (like the farang I am) I sure as heck would not be encouraging any kind of revolution.  Criticizing the Government, and pointing out its shortcomings is well and good, (we have our interests) but to do any more asks for "attitude adjustment" or worse.  We will just have to let Thais decide what to do ultimately. 

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I'm sure that if there is no election in November 2018, as he officially announced during his US visit, there will be some not so pleasant response from some parties at the other side of the big puddle which will not be favourable for the Thai economy.

perhaps these parties are not as important anymore.

there are new friends at the other end of the new

medium-high speed rail line to provide support.

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

While ever there is unrest between parties there can be no election .....  this is common sense.

This has been proven in Thai history that democracy won't work in Thailand ...  to much political fighting.

Good job Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha for the work you have done.

Thailands economy is firing with GDP and exports up and more jobs created. It is expected that Thailand will be even more robust this year.

Happy new year to the government   !!

Image result for pics of khun prayuth chan-ocha

Yes,because what international trading partners crave more than anything is a military junta government rather than a pesky democracy.....

I am not surprised for another postponement. It's been happening regularly for the last 3 years! I'm not sure the economy of Thailand is doing great at the moment, the quality of roads went down the hill recently. That is an example that something is not going so well economically.

9 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Yes,because what international trading partners crave more than anything is a military junta government rather than a pesky democracy.....

mr xi might prefer a strong, stable government

with useful articles.   "4" is traditionally for the

chinese an inauspicious number, but exceptions

can be made.

9 minutes ago, tammaya said:

Opinion only: I think he is the best leader (PM) Thailand needs. I've been following news about his since 2014, some ups and downs, but my score sheets dominates with ups! People needs to support him, I suppose!

A free and fair election should be a cakewalk, then. I wonder why there are delays after delays..?

26 minutes ago, tammaya said:

Opinion only: I think he is the best leader (PM) Thailand needs. I've been following news about his since 2014, some ups and downs, but my score sheets dominates with ups! People needs to support him, I suppose!

Best PM don’t need intimidation to stop opinion and free expression of even mundane stuff like the economy. A good leader is always open to critizisms, be accountable for the actions he take and lastly stick to promises he made. He failed all that and losing support even from the Privy Council. 

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

I’m 100% sure this article supports your belief... 100% sure, but I didn’t bother looking.

but I did “look” at the big picture, which shows that Thailand now has an equivalent gdp growth rate as 2008..... no great stand out achievement.

that said... the same picture does show a more “stable” growth pattern, which I suppose is a good thing (vs uncertainty of wild swings)

C8E65991-2359-491E-88BE-6E80FF078B13.jpeg

2 hours ago, tammaya said:

Maybe you can enlighten us what those ups are precisely.

I think most of us are seriously wondering what he has accomplished.

Hope it won't include the "stopped violence my henchmen initiated".

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

Maybe you can enlighten us what those ups are precisely.

I think most of us are seriously wondering what he has accomplished.

Hope it won't include the "stopped violence my henchmen initiated".

He's accomplished to use Article 44 so many times that it's already worrisome. But what's it?  http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/what-you-need-to-know-about-article-44-of-thailands-interim-constitution

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Off topic trolling posts have been removed, this is not about Trump, Nigeria or Zimbabwe.

he makes yingluck look competent .  current mindset going end badly as really little intellect involved and a lot of anger that needs releasing .

election or not you got problems within next 2 years .

Edited by BuckBee

15 hours ago, steven100 said:

Good job Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha for the work you have done.

Thailands economy is firing with GDP and exports up and more jobs created. It is expected that Thailand will be even more robust this year.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: If Prayuth predicts snow in Bangkok for the next weekend, I bet you would be the first to buy a snowmobile. 

11 hours ago, djjamie said:

If democracy means we go back to the dark days of spilt blood then I as well as all peace loving Thai's will chose the Junta. 

I am getting use to the peace that the Junta has brought. No bloody street protests, no grenades, no burning buildings and a robust economy with ever growing tourism bringing in billions of baht. The tourism numbers in itself is testament that Prayut has got it right and has brought an unheralded peace to a country craving it. 

If Thailand is not ready then so be it. 

Well you know the Junta are getting desperate when they decide to set up their own political party and apparently give Djjamie and Steven 100 the vote just to garner a few extra points.

Well....Djjamie has chosen ......and he can go back to his dream world where his opinion is quiet important.

15 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Sorry but I don't believe it, The report is just a copy of the inflated numbers the military junta want us to believe. The numbers coming out of Thailand ( traffic deaths per year, total catch from the commercial fishing fleet etc.) are all fabricated.

What - and you know they're not real numbers based on what? Your personal bias?

The World Bank and Bloomberg's opinions versus a TVF poster. Hmmm, hard to chose who to believe :whistling:

1 hour ago, BuckBee said:

he makes yingluck look competent .  current mindset going end badly as really little intellect involved and a lot of anger that needs releasing .

election or not you got problems within next 2 years .

Nothing could make Yingluck look competent. She wasn't really doing anything.

5 hours ago, farcanell said:

I’m 100% sure this article supports your belief... 100% sure, but I didn’t bother looking.

but I did “look” at the big picture, which shows that Thailand now has an equivalent gdp growth rate as 2008..... no great stand out achievement.

that said... the same picture does show a more “stable” growth pattern, which I suppose is a good thing (vs uncertainty of wild swings)

C8E65991-2359-491E-88BE-6E80FF078B13.jpeg

1994-2018 | Data | Chart | Calendar

The Thailand's economy advanced 4.30 percent year-on-year in the September quarter of 2017, compared to an upwardly revised 3.8 percent growth in the previous period and beating market consensus of a 3.8 percent growth. It was the strongest expansion since the first quarter 2013, boosted by faster rises in private consumption, government spending, investment and exports. GDP Annual Growth Rate in Thailand averaged 3.69 percent from 1994 until 2017, reaching an all time high of 15.40 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012 and a record low of -12.50 percent in the second quarter of 1998.

I added the commentary to give the chart you copied context.

16 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Can't stand the thought of this guy and his watch wearing crooks staying in power.

What is the future for Thailand as those seeking power to rule are looking to loot the treasury with little regard to the welfare of Thai people.

How will they break the cycle of history? More is required than a bleating reference to elections and democracy, where are their charismatic potential leaders with real plans for change? 

Oh you old romantic