Six dead as seaplane crashes into Sydney river ahead of New Year celebrations

webfact

Six dead as seaplane crashes into Sydney river ahead of New Year celebrations

2017-12-31T143334Z_1_LOP000JHDFV3P_RTRMADP_BASEIMAGE-960X540_AUSTRALIA-AIRPLANE.JPG

A seaplane crashed into a Sydney river on Sunday (December 31), killing six people on a "wine and dine" sightseeing flight ahead of the city's harbour-centred New Year's Eve celebrations. 

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A seaplane crashed into a Sydney river on Sunday, killing six people on a "wine and dine" sightseeing flight ahead of the city's New Year's Eve celebrations at the harbour.

Police said they did not know the cause of the crash, nor the identities of the five passengers, but were speaking with several witnesses who were in boats on one of the waterways' busiest days of the year. The pilot was the sixth victim.

Several Australian media reported that four of the victims were British nationals, although that was not immediately confirmed by police. In London, the Foreign Office said its officials were in contact with local authorities in Sydney.

"We stand ready to provide consular assistance," a Foreign Office spokeswoman said.

The aircraft was operated by Sydney Seaplanes, a major tourism operator in the city. Several visiting celebrities have flown on the company's sightseeing planes, including pop stars Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith, tech mogul Bill Gates, comedian Jerry Seinfeld and actor Cuba Gooding Jnr.

Police said the seaplane was returning the party of five people from a waterside restaurant in Sydney's north to the Sydney Seaplanes headquarters in Rose Bay in the city's east when it crashed into the water, immediately sinking.

"We have spoken to a number of witnesses," Acting Superintendent Michael Gorman told reporters, adding that forensic police would inspect the plane to assess when it could be raised from the seabed.

"It's too early in the investigation so we don't know why the plane crashed."

Gorman said police were liaising with Sydney Seaplanes to identify the victims and their families would be contacted before they were named publicly.

Sydney Seaplanes has been operating since 1938, originally flying from Australia to Britain, a journey that required thirty refuelling stops along what became famous as the "Kangaroo" route.

(Reporting By Jane Wardell in Sydney and Estelle Shirbon in London; Editing by Matthew Mpoke Bigg)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-01

A British family on holidays, including an 11-year-old girl, was killed when a seaplane on a New Year's Eve joyride crashed into the Hawkesbury River, police have confirmed.

Six people — five British passengers and the 44-year-old pilot Gareth Morgan — lost their lives when the aircraft, operated by the Sydney Seaplanes charter company, crashed into the river near the town of Cowan, north of Sydney.

The other victims were Heather Bowden, 11, Emma Bowden, 48, Richard Cousins, 58, Edward Cousins, 23, and 25-year-old William Cousins.

(ABC Australia)

7 hours ago, dinsdale said:

You're kidding. Right?

No, I'm not!  For me a seaplane is a Catalina, but I thought they had gone their merry way a long time ago.  I used to travel a lot in them on Bougainville.  Anyway I live in the Pyrenees, no seaplanes there.  So I want to know.

More seriously, how very very tragic .  How awful for the rest of the family members.

Edited by Gillyflower

8 hours ago, Scott said:

It's called trolling.   Best to avoid engaging people like that.  

Thank you very much!!!  I presume that was meant for me.  I was NOT trolling, I seriously wanted to know.

Edited by Gillyflower

Very sad, entire future family wiped out whilst on holiday. The deceased consist of fiance, her daughter, suitor and his two sons, together with the pilot. RIP

Edited by simple1

9 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

Thank you very much!!!  I presume that was meant for me.  I was NOT trolling, I seriously wanted to know.

I do apologize if it was a serious question.   We get a fair number of people trolling so I am perhaps a little jaded.  

I almost have a connection with this. I have a friend and business colleague on holiday in Sydney at the mo, who told me he'd chartered a seaplane to take him and his missus out to a restaurant and back while they were there ("Cost me over a thousand quid."). Needless to say, my heart skipped a beat when I first read about this accident. And I used to do do a bit of business with Compass Group before Richard Cousins' time with them. Sheesh! Pretty much his entire immediate family wiped out. RIP

Apparently from one witness, the plane was doing a sharp right hand turn and then nose dived so I'm thinking it was very low and maybe the right wing clipped the water and it was thrown downward.

Very tragic for the family and the loved ones back home. May they find the strength to get through this terrible event.

Very sad. RIP.

22 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

No, I'm not!  For me a seaplane is a Catalina, but I thought they had gone their merry way a long time ago.  I used to travel a lot in them on Bougainville.  Anyway I live in the Pyrenees, no seaplanes there.  So I want to know.

More seriously, how very very tragic .  How awful for the rest of the family members.

Australia-Plane-Crash-Brits-Sydney-Hawkesbury-River-Cottage-Point-Rescue-Light-Aircraft-1186349.jpg

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

Apparently from one witness, the plane was doing a sharp right hand turn and then nose dived so I'm thinking it was very low and maybe the right wing clipped the water and it was thrown downward.

Very tragic for the family and the loved ones back home. May they find the strength to get through this terrible event.

Very sad. RIP.

The plane was observed banking in flight, no reports of wing touching the sea.

Edited by simple1

latest television reporting reckons it may be 'days' before anything can be mechanically investigated.

from reports t the time, from witnesses, there's mention of the engine faltering - leading to speculation it may have been a victim of adulterated quality fuel problems

Television reports seem to be hinting it as one of their TurboProp models

cesna.jpg which are Cessna Caravans. The others in Inventory are refurbished Beavers

Edited by tifino